Ridgid R4512 Update - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

View Jim_677's Photo Album My Photos
Ridgid R4512 Update

I posted a review on the R4512 a few weeks back. Bottom line was I loved the saw despite a few issues. That was true until tonight when the motor burned out after less than a month.

I know a lot of guys look at these saws, my vote is to pass. Getting the saw to align was a huge PIA. And it did heel out when you adjusted the height. I coudl have lived with that but at this point I'm done. Hauling all 300lbs out of my basement and back to HD.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should bite the bullet and drop $1500+ on a decent saw or roll the dice on the Delta for $600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-11-2014, 07:50 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear you had trouble with your Ridgid TS, Jim. Have you considered returning (to the manufacturer) only the motor for a replacement? It may be worth the time/$ to give it a try, as that TS if you purchased new must be under some kind of guarantee. Also no guarantee any other TS you buy won't have some issues. Be safe.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 AM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
If you decide on a cabinet saw, I have the grizzly g0690 and am very pleased with it. Its worth a look and about $1500. On a side note, my brother in law has that ridgid saw and is very pleased as well.......maybe you just got a lemon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2014, 08:22 AM

View Gary Gill's Photo Album My Photos
I pondered the Rigid versus the Delta. I bought the Delta about six weeks ago. I use it almost daily. Works great for me. I build ukuleles and mostly saw 4/4 hardwoods.

Gary
post #5 of 5 Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM
rantingrich

View rantingrich's Photo Album My Photos
a RIDGID PAIN

I feel your pain brother.. I got a R4512 at home cheap-o myself this last spring. The blade was not aligned to the Miter slot. Fixed that after about a weekend of bloody knuckles and creative swearing after making mt OWN PAL Alignment system. The ones sold online specially for the R4512 DO NOT FIT OR WORK! Better off making your own.

AS for now I have not cut any stock as yet where the blade is all the way up or close to that so the Height Heel shift I have not had an issue with.

Another thing that I hate is the miter gauge would literal down the miter slot as you pushed it to cut. SO I got a INCRA 27 and had to adjust its' screws all the way down to make a good fit, then it binds up just as it goes in and comes out the back. Seems the miter slot isn't even true, straight or square. I had to do a lot of filing to get the INCRA to go down smoothly and that's not right at all

In retrospect I should of taken it back when I had the chance and gone another way, but I made a choice and stuck with it.

NOW at this point I am happy with the saw put if I had t do it over again I would of passed it by.. IN SPADES>

Problem is the next step up is twice as much money!

I recently had an opportunity to buy what was described as a Never used Ridgid BANDSAW for only 75 bucks. I did some research and their old band saw is even worse than the table saw and passed.

RIDGID thinks they are in the BOAT ANCHOR bussiness

Last edited by rantingrich; 10-14-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode