Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lenny Howard

post #1 of 16 Old 04-15-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

View Mike in the woods's Photo Album My Photos
Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle sander

Hi All,
I just received my RIDGID OSC Edge belt/Spindle Sander and I noticed when I installed the spindle sandpaper it is very loose and I used the supplied parts with the sander. When I went to tighten it all down I use all my strength to tighten the top finger bolt that holds down the drum. But as I sand wood the drum sandpaper keeps sliding up.. Has anyone else seen this problem? And what did you do about it. Thanks.. Sorry to ask a stupid question.

Thanks
Mike

Wood is designed to be made into what ever your mind can think of.... Never stop working towards perfection...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-15-2017, 10:14 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Did you use a wrench to tighten the nut on top of the spindle?

EDIT: OOPS! I forgot that model uses a knob. I guess I am no help. I used a new one out of the box and it worked just fine.

Last edited by MT Stringer; 04-15-2017 at 10:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Mike in the woods (04-16-2017)
post #3 of 16 Old 04-16-2017, 12:02 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have that specific machine but I do have a Grizzly oscillating spindle sander and the tubes tend to move up and down on the spindle of it unless I really smoke the knob down tight

Last edited by Catpower; 04-16-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
just confirming the right pieces for the size . . . they do make it less than uncomplicated.....

the Rigid uses different size washers under the knob for different diameter spindles.
if the washer is too small, it does not compress the spindle rubber enough to tighten the paper roll.
if the washer is too big, it does not compress the spindle rubber enough to tighten paper roll.

the right size washer will compress thus 'squeeze out' the diameter of the rubber spindle 'just right' to grip the paper size. at least that how it works here . . .

the 1/2" spindle has special considerations / bits / pieces. over 1/2" is same procedure, different sizes tho.

I suppose super-humidity could cause the sandpaper roll to get too big...?
post #5 of 16 Old 04-16-2017, 05:41 PM

View mkushin's Photo Album My Photos
Might be a dumb question, but did you play with the knob on the right? It should be marked with a "+" and "-" sign, and is for adjusting the vertical orientation of that cylinder. If you adjust it one way, the belt will start sliding up, and the other way, the belt will start sliding down. It might take a bit of finesse to get it to the point where it stays put when you're sanding something.

Nevermind, I just realized you're talking about the cylinder shaped spindles and not the belt. On mine, the smallest one had the same problem as your experiencing. I ended up "shimming" it with some thin paper and it worked fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to mkushin For This Useful Post:
Mike in the woods (04-17-2017)
post #6 of 16 Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM

View Lenny Howard's Photo Album My Photos
If using the correct size washer doesn't help, try a different brand sanding sleeve. You could also try placing your existing sleeve in the freezer for awhile but that would probably be a temporary fix.
I have the same sander. Made this flip top stand for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	290242  

The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny Howard For This Useful Post:
Mike in the woods (04-16-2017)
post #7 of 16 Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Howard View Post
If using the correct size washer doesn't help, try a different brand sanding sleeve. You could also try placing your existing sleeve in the freezer for awhile but that would probably be a temporary fix.
Really nice stand.. I have some other drum sandpaper so I'll give it a shot. The rubber just doesn't seem to hold the drums that came with sander very well.. I used the correct washer and I have a really strong grip so I know the knob is good and tight.. What comes with the sander is some low grade sandpaper anyway..

Thanks
Mike

Wood is designed to be made into what ever your mind can think of.... Never stop working towards perfection...
post #8 of 16 Old 04-16-2017, 09:41 PM

I think in reviews I read about the sander there were others who experienced that same problem. If I remember correctly it was improperly sized sleeves. Different ones fixed the issue.
Mike in the woods likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-17-2017, 09:36 AM

View TimeTurnsElastic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Howard View Post

How do you like it Lenny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in the woods View Post
Hi All,
I just received my RIDGID OSC Edge belt/Spindle Sander and I noticed when I installed the spindle sandpaper it is very loose and I used the supplied parts with the sander. When I went to tighten it all down I use all my strength to tighten the top finger bolt that holds down the drum. But as I sand wood the drum sandpaper keeps sliding up.. Has anyone else seen this problem? And what did you do about it. Thanks.. Sorry to ask a stupid question.

Thanks
Mike
i have the same unit use the washers that are about the same size as the sleve and tighen up never had a problum i hold the sleve and tighen up nut another thing loosen the nut that you use to hold down sleves and sander belt if not it will get so tight that you will not be able to get loose even with pipe wrench that is the only thing that happen to mine when that happen i took it back and got a new unit
post #11 of 16 Old 04-17-2017, 11:11 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same machine. Found that if I don't tighten the top knob really tight the sleeves tend to slip. When it's tight the rubber inserts expand a bit - sorta like old style thermos caps.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-17-2017, 05:20 PM

I like it ok. At work we have a Grizzly 6 x 89 Edge sander, so it's kind of unfair to make the comparison ... But I find myself doing it anyway. I sometimes wish I had more spindle height and more power. I purchased it mainly for sanding bandsaw boxes and find its height is limiting, especially with the smaller spindles where the nut actually interferes with anything over about 3 3/4".
But, it's handy enough for so many things I haven't decided to ditch it just yet.

Last edited by Lenny Howard; 04-17-2017 at 07:59 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I was more looking to see if it's just me or that it was a common problem. I believe its just the cheap drum paper they provide with the sander. I'm using a different brand of Drum sandpaper and good to go.. Not to bad the only gripe I have was the drum sandpaper.. I think once it warms up over here the rubber will be able to expand more and hold even better. Thank you all for your inputs.

Thanks
Mike

post #14 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 AM

I heard of a mod done by another bandsaw box maker. He had a longer nut made up which allows him to use 6" tall sanding sleeves. He purchased additional rubber drums and cut the length to add on to the existing drums extending them to the 6". Doesn't help with the power issue but I think it might be worth a try. Fwiw
post #15 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 01:49 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in the woods View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
Mike
Mike, if you tighten that knob very tight it will not come off. They have had trouble with that.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 02:04 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Mike, I have no experience with a sander such as yours, but I do have a Grizzly OSS. It has washers for each size spindle that are sized to match the diameter of the spindle plus paper. This holds the paper on mine. Whenever I get in a hurry & forget the washer the paper quickly rises to remind me that the hurrier I go the behinder I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode