Ridgid 4512 Fence Upgrade Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

View Pandemonium's Photo Album My Photos
Ridgid 4512 Fence Upgrade Question

Hey there,

I picked up the Ridgid 4512 about a year and a half ago, and it's done everything I've asked of it to this point. One thing that really irks me about it is it's fence. I am not getting the accuracy that I want from it, and despite tinkering with it to assure that it's square, I find that any changes I make tend not to last long. My buddy has a nice Jet saw that he found at auction (I know it's a considerably more prestigious/expensive saw than the Ridgid), and the Beisemeyer style fence on it is night and day superior to the Ridgid's. So, I think my next major purchase will be a fence upgrade, but I don't know what will work best for it. Ideally, I don't want to pick up something that will require me drilling new holes in the wings or table. Does anyone have good input on what would work well for this saw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
A delta T2 fence would be a good option without breaking the bank. However, have you gone through the manual and adjusted the current fence? Most have reported pretty darn good results with the stock fence.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
The t2 will run you about 200 bucks.

A vega fence will run about 300

A bisermeyer will run about 400.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 AM

View Danny870's Photo Album My Photos
I have a brand new, still in the box Delta 50"+ guide rail system for the Biesemeyer style fence setup that I do not need.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've run through the manual and made a lot of micro adjustments here and there. I've also done a lot of online research. The main issue I'm finding is what others report: the fence will slowly tend to run off square over time. For some people, the fix is as easy as pushing down and forward when locking the fence, but that doesn't fix it for me. Likewise, mine was off square from the actual table for a while. I adjusted the set screws and corrected that without much problem. Likewise, the stock fence is just kind of cheaply made. Having used this saw for a full year and then playing around with Saw Stop and Jet table saws that my friends have, you can tell a distinct difference between those fences and the Ridgid in terms of build quality. I'm not saying the Ridgid is garbage. I've done well with it for a year and a half, but it's the one tool in my shop that I can't be 100% confident in.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny870 View Post
I have a brand new, still in the box Delta 50"+ guide rail system for the Biesemeyer style fence setup that I do not need.
Private message sent.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 03:50 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
My guess is that the only fences that will fit directly with no drilling are other Ridgid fences, but I could be wrong...there might be some exceptions. If the fence from a Ridgid TS3650, 3612, 2424, or 2412 will fit, it'd be an upgrade...not as good as the better steel t-square designs IMO, but a nice improvement nonetheless. Dunno if any of the similar Craftsman Align-a-rip or Exacta-rip will fit, but could also be worth checking into.

HD has the T2 for $183.33.....great deal on a nice fence that will likely require at least some drilling. The good news is that cast iron drills pretty easily, and you may not need to re-drill over hole.

The Vega fences are pretty easy to install, usually only requiring two holes for the front rail.

The Shop Fox Classic, Saw Stop T-Glide, Jet Xacta, PM Accusquare, and HTC are all robust commercial grade fences that will run a bit more.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-22-2016, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

After doing research using some of the suggestions on here, I've come to realize that my whole "no drilling" thing is going to be way too limiting. I'll have to go pick up the right bit and the tap. Thanks for all of the input everyone. It is much appreciated. I've got a number of options I'm now looking into. Love the Vega, but the price tag might be a bit out of my league.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-22-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notskot View Post
HD has the T2 for $183.33.....great deal on a nice fence that will likely require at least some drilling. The good news is that cast iron drills pretty easily, and you may not need to re-drill over hole.
I can't find this on their site. I've looked around a bit with no success.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-17-2016, 02:26 PM

View coschafer's Photo Album My Photos
I realize this is a few months old, but I just installed a Shop Fox fence upgrade on my Ridgid 4512..required drilling two holes, but very easy to do. I absolutely love the fence and could not recommend it more.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-18-2016, 10:49 PM

View GFOviedo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschafer View Post
I realize this is a few months old, but I just installed a Shop Fox fence upgrade on my Ridgid 4512..required drilling two holes, but very easy to do. I absolutely love the fence and could not recommend it more.
Would you post some pictures? Thanks.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-19-2016, 09:26 AM

I made an install video that I will try to get posted sometime this evening. I'll post the link here as well. Just an FYI, in the video I compared the fence to the one on my buddies saw stop.. They are nearly identical if you need a comparison. I'm very happy with it
Attached Images

post #13 of 20 Old 11-20-2016, 04:27 PM

That looks good. I need a table saw as well. I've been looking at the under $1000 cost. I'm in between Grizzly and Shop Fox, but I'm now I'm wondering if I should go with the ridgid and replace the fence like you did.

It will cost about the same and I would have a better life warranty rather than 1 year with Grizzly or 2 years with Shop Fox.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 PM

I went ahead and bought the Ridgid R4512 a few days ago. Yesterday, I was setting it up, and I noticed the cast iron table isn't true. The left side is almost 1/8th inch lower than the center and right side of the cast iron table. I pretty much stopped there, and now I am getting ready to return it.

The wife gave me the okay to buy a better table saw, but the few I'm looking at have pretty much blade alignment issues as well. I'm trying to stay at $1200 max. I've been looking on craigslist for a use one, but nothing yet.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-30-2016, 09:39 AM

That's too bad that you got one that wasn't true...I would have returned it as well, it's a big purchase. I have not had those issues with mine, maybe grabbing a different one would work for you. For what it is worth, I was heavily debating a Grizzly saw when I bought mine. In the end I chose the Ridgid because of the warranty, price, and built in casters to easily move it. With the fence upgrade it is exactly what I wanted...but I am now close to the same money as a higher end saw, I just spaced out the purchases. I have not looked at Shop Fox table saws much, but I am very pleased and impressed with the fence. They would be at the top of my list to look at for future tools. I am actually currently researching drill presses and Shop Fox is one I am heavily considering. I am sure that their table saws are also quality products.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM

View Wood&Steel's Photo Album My Photos
Not intending to threadjack, but is there any option for turning your 30" table top into a 50" table top as part of upgrading the fence?
post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschafer View Post
That's too bad that you got one that wasn't true...I would have returned it as well, it's a big purchase. I have not had those issues with mine, maybe grabbing a different one would work for you. For what it is worth, I was heavily debating a Grizzly saw when I bought mine. In the end I chose the Ridgid because of the warranty, price, and built in casters to easily move it. With the fence upgrade it is exactly what I wanted...but I am now close to the same money as a higher end saw, I just spaced out the purchases. I have not looked at Shop Fox table saws much, but I am very pleased and impressed with the fence. They would be at the top of my list to look at for future tools. I am actually currently researching drill presses and Shop Fox is one I am heavily considering. I am sure that their table saws are also quality products.
I ended up getting a Craftsman Professional series model 22124 with extra blades, feather boards and it came with a biesemeyer fence as well. Paid $525 for it and it looks brand new! I just need to re-arrange my garage. The rails for the fence are pretty long...well one of them mainly.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2016, 07:13 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The rails for the fence are pretty long...well one of them mainly.
Not to hijack either, but same issue here..I have absolutely no idea why one rail is about 8 inches longer than the other.. I guess some things were just meant to baffle me..
Attached Images

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #19 of 20 Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 AM

Nice, Congrats on your new saw. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal! Happy cutting. I am no expert; but I am not sure why the rails are not the same length either...looks like a good place to hang a clamp though...seems there is never enough room for extra little tools ha ha
post #20 of 20 Old 12-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Because they don't need to be the same length. The front rail needs two points of contact roughly 8 inches apart while the rear needs one pretty much centered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode