Ridgid 3650 / 3660 table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

View rick11's Photo Album My Photos
Ridgid 3650 / 3660 table saw

I am new to this site. Moving from the Ridgid site because of problems with posting. What I want to let known to anyone interested in purchasing one of the Ridgid 3650 / 3660 table saws is that Home Depot is going to put these saws on clearance very soon for $399.00. They are clearansing them for the R4511.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
That is a great price. I'm waiting for the R4511 to arrive and will purchase that. A granite top saw for $599. Red

Red
post #3 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 02:44 PM

View jporter5333's Photo Album My Photos
That's nuts. I was planning to wait for the r4511 for my first table saw since it's only $50 more than the 3660. But that's a ridiculous deal. I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

Jason Porter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick11 View Post
I am new to this site. Moving from the Ridgid site because of problems with posting. What I want to let known to anyone interested in purchasing one of the Ridgid 3650 / 3660 table saws is that Home Depot is going to put these saws on clearance very soon for $399.00. They are clearansing them for the R4511.
How do you come by this information. I'm aware that the R4511 is out already but I've heard that they are not going to discontinue the 3660. Could it be that all that they will be discounting is the few remaining discontinued 3650's that are left at a few stores?

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #5 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I have a very reliable source. I was contacted last night with this new information. I knew about the R4511 last October. Ridgid even supplied an operators manual in early November. I have worked with granite slabs as a table for precision measuring and know that it needs checking and resurfacing. My bigest concern are the miter slots not being reinforced. Granite will not rust and some things might be reparable. With the 3650/3660's going on sale for 399.00, that is interesting, especially with the 10% discount with their card. H.D. website shows the 3660 out of stock on line. My source said last year that the R4511 would likely replace their current contractor saw.
post #6 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Time will tell on this one. The TS3660 is a very well regarded saw, and HD / Ridgid would be foolish to just dump it instead of adding to the lineup, especially with the supply / production issues the R4511 has had so far. My local Home Depot stores are flush with TS3660s, but not a single R4511 to be had...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #7 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

With a $50.00 price difference in the 2 saws something has to give. I know that the 3650/3660 has a good reputation but the 4511 has its pluses also. The R4511 isn't supposed to be in the stores until late Feb. It has been in production since last fall. Ashman, on the Ridgid forum, can tell the story on how the saws that are out got out. Which stores get them first could be determined by the store ranking by yearly sales and maybe by districts. The stores are rated like A,B,C,. We will have to wait and see on this. I have been told that the Incra miter equipment will not fit ridgid table saws. Would like to know if this is true.
post #8 of 56 Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
Just bought my TS3650 last summer.

post #9 of 56 Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 AM

View Wannabewoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Granite Top vs Cast Iron

"I have worked with granite slabs as a table for precision measuring and know that it needs checking and resurfacing. My bigest concern are the miter slots not being reinforced."

Rick11 I purchased a ryobi portable saw as my first saw. Long story short, I did not realized I was going to be a woodworking enthusiast as I am now. Not real pleased with the design and the way the sliding miter table works. I want something more substantial and was looking at the new Ridged Granite Top Saw. Do you think it is worth the extra pennies? or should I go with the Ridged cast iron?

Wannabewoodworker
post #10 of 56 Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabewoodworker View Post
"I have worked with granite slabs as a table for precision measuring and know that it needs checking and resurfacing. My bigest concern are the miter slots not being reinforced."

Rick11 I purchased a ryobi portable saw as my first saw. Long story short, I did not realized I was going to be a woodworking enthusiast as I am now. Not real pleased with the design and the way the sliding miter table works. I want something more substantial and was looking at the new Ridged Granite Top Saw. Do you think it is worth the extra pennies? or should I go with the Ridged cast iron?

Wannabewoodworker
That's always going to boil down to a matter of opinion, but the hybrid design does offer several advantages, and is essentially an evolution of the 60 year old traditional contractor saw design.....there's really no longer reason to place the motor outside of the enclosure. The advantages of taking up less space, having a shorter drive belt, no lifting hazard when tilting the motor, cabinet mounted trunnions, > 50% more mass, a riving knife, larger handwheels, steel t-square fence, and better dust collection would have a lot of appeal to me. Supposedly, the granite that's used is quite stable and tends to be free of veins that can crack. Steel City who licenses the techology to Ridgid, is starting to reinforce the miter slots to prevent breakage, but I'm told that the miter slots are easily repairable if damaged, plus they're backed with a 10 year warranty. That's a lot of desirable features for $50 more....

Now, if money is a concern, and the 3660 goes on sale for $399 as I'm hearing at some locations, the plot thickens as to where the best value is.

Either saw will be capable of what you need to cut. It's always nice to go with the one you like best.

Last edited by knotscott; 01-28-2009 at 09:46 AM.
post #11 of 56 Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I sold my Delta contractors say 2 years ago with the thought of upgrading to a Jet or Grizzly hybrid. I went to Penn. to the Grizzly showroom to look at theirs and looked at the Jet at Woodcraft. With shipping of the Grizzly the cost are about the same of about $900. The R4511 is $600. The 3650/3660 could be $400. soon. The hybrids have so much going for them they are something to give serious thoughts to. Also consider the weight for the extra stability and vibration control. The shorter belts of the hybrids also helps in vibration. While at the Grizz. store they used one for me and the vibration was very very minor. I also had the H.D. guy start the 3650 for me and that was also good but not as good as the Grizz. The Grizz warranty is not as good either. Many things to consider when buying these things. How many projects will you be able to complete in, say 2 years? Add on pieces in the future with the granite will be more difficult. Possibly repairing the granite. Living in Michigan, keeping the cast iron from rusting. But, we are used to these delimas when purchasing any tool, right. These forums are great informational avenues.
post #12 of 56 Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Jan. 26, 2009. Craigs List, Jet super saw, $799.00 , cast extension wings, new, in Detroit Michigan.
post #13 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 AM

"Now, if money is a concern, and the 3660 goes on sale for $399 as I'm hearing at some locations, the plot thickens as to where the best value is."

I have looked for the 399 price and I can't seem to find it. I think the level that I am at, the cast iron version should be fine. Does anybody have any complaints about the cast iron version? If so..please let me know.

Wannabewoodworker
post #14 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
"Now, if money is a concern, and the 3660 goes on sale for $399 as I'm hearing at some locations, the plot thickens as to where the best value is."

I have looked for the 399 price and I can't seem to find it. I think the level that I am at, the cast iron version should be fine. Does anybody have any complaints about the cast iron version? If so..please let me know.

Wannabewoodworker
Cast iron can rust, and some measures need to be taken to prevent it and maintain it....not a show stopper for most folks, but is an issue that needs attention.

Another general complaint with any traditional contractor saw is with the location of the outboard motor. That location poses some issues that an inboard motor does not. The outboard location requires the back of the enclosure to be open which poses some dust collection issues. It also creates a potential "lifting hazard" when the motor is tilted...anything in it's path can inadvertently catch the motor, which can whack the alignment. An outboard motor also requires a longer drive belt, which has more vibration than a short belt, and thus less efficient transfer of the motor power to the blade. An outboard motor also requires extra space. None of these issues are usually huge, but they do add up and can be a nuisance. A price difference of $400-$500 can make those issues easier to tolerate, but when the price is close, the hybrid design has most of the advantages.

If you otherwise like the design and features of the saw, it should work out well for you....final results are largely determined by proper setup and blade selection. You won't be able to tell by looking at the wood which saw it was cut with.
post #15 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Just starting

I appreciate your advice KnottScott, Due to my lack of experience, I really did not know what to look for. As far as what I want to do, I would like to be able to make tables, maybe shelves, maybe even small crafts. It is hard for me to say just yet. My first project just getting into woodworking was a breakfast table for my wife. I am not looking to make anything large scale. Maybe as I delve into woodworking more, I might find the desire to expand my horizons and scale of projects. As I am looking in my "Wood" magazine. I find myself saying.."Wow, I would like to make that," however, I lack the knowledge or know how (maybe even confidence) to take it from picture to reality. I probably need to start small and work my way up. Do you think this TS3660 from Ridged will suit my purpose? and would you or anyone have any advice on the prospects of starter projects to build my confidence and skill level?

Thanks

Wannabewoodworker
post #16 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
... Do you think this TS3660 from Ridged will suit my purpose? and would you or anyone have any advice on the prospects of starter projects to build my confidence and skill level?
Yes!....Contractor saws were the only reasonable choice for a home hobbyist for years until the hybrid evolved and some imported cabinet saws became affordable.... a great many of us have gotten good service out of a full size contractor saw. The 3650/3650 has many happy owners...it's heavy enough, large enough, powerful enough, accurate enough, and reliable enough to possibly be the last saw you ever own. On sale at $400 is a heck of deal and they're selling out fast. This is a leap first, ask questions later kind of deal...I would get one first and finish researching later. If you're uncertain, just keep it in the box and keep the receipt, you can always return it if it's not for you. Once they're sold out, you're SOL unless you can get a store to order one if for you at the sale price.

Early furniture projects:
- basic workbench (a necessity in any shop)
- basic router table ( " " " ")
- simple book shelf
- coffee table
- end table
- basic boxes
- simple bench
- decorative wall shelves
- picture or mirror frames

Get a couple of books from the library on basic joinery. Many of the same joints will be used repeatedly on various projects. Learn about wood movement and learn what wood species are common in your area....local varieties will tend to be the least expensive to you, and they vary by geography.
post #17 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM

View Ashman's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Ridgid 3650/3650

Visited the Woodhaven, MI HD today and they had one 3650 and one 3660 in the clearance section of the store in boxes for $399. I don't know whether they had more in stock.
post #18 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 07:36 PM

View ben arnott's Photo Album My Photos
Proud owner of a new TS3660

I just finished assembling my new TS3660. HD finally put them on clearance in my store in Marlborough, MA for $399. I couldn't resist. That is a ridiculous price. I had my heart set on the granite top, but I felt this was too-good-a-deal to pass on. I'm really impressed with the saw. It took a little tweaking to heel the blade and get the belt tension and alignment just right, but I think she's ready to go now. Now its time to pick out some stock.

This is my first table saw. I made my choice primarily based on what the folks in this forum have said. Thanks for the guidance.

Currently reading Made by Hand by Tom Fidgen

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/suavesays
post #19 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben arnott View Post
I just finished assembling my new TS3660. HD finally put them on clearance in my store in Marlborough, MA for $399. I couldn't resist. That is a ridiculous price. I had my heart set on the granite top, but I felt this was too-good-a-deal to pass on. I'm really impressed with the saw. It took a little tweaking to heel the blade and get the belt tension and alignment just right, but I think she's ready to go now. Now its time to pick out some stock.

This is my first table saw. I made my choice primarily based on what the folks in this forum have said. Thanks for the guidance.
Congrats on the new saw Ben! With all that money you saved, you need to get a nice new saw blade to give the saw (and yourself) and fair shake at doing great things...
post #20 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Ts3660

Can't find the TS3660 on sale for 399. Still at 549 online and everywhere I look in Maryland...any idea where to find one at that low price?

Last edited by Wannabewoodworker; 02-02-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: More info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode