Resharpening table saw blades - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By triplechip

post #1 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

View andy r m's Photo Album My Photos
Resharpening table saw blades

It wasn't until recently that I've invested in higher-dollar carbide saw blades and I'm to the point where they needed sharpened. I researched a place in town where I could get this done (there were not many) and gave it a go. Three of my 12' miter saw blades seem fine...plus it's just prelim cuts on that machine for me anyways. My 10" crosscut table saw blade on the other hand received a nice hack job (80t, HI-ATB). One side of the teeth was horrible and noticed at least one tooth that was skipped. The other side, it appeared every tooth was hit but my stock was very scratchy. I'm expecting, and was the case prior to sharpening, a mirror finish on stock when I use this blade.

This company sharpens all sorts of blades and knifes for companies and private folks like myself. Is this an indication that I should not use them again? I don't understand how a non-laser machine can sharpen the outside of teeth and still retain precision....

In hindsight, I would have mailed them into Forrest to have the job done correctly.

I'm in Des Moines, IA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, whatever company did that buggered up your blade. Last time I had mine resharpened I went through ballew saw and tool, came back from them cutting like it was brand new, and looked the part too

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 04:07 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Have you taken the blade back to them and asked if they can try again?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I did call today and will be bringing it back. The manager of this site said he would make it right. Odds being in their favor, I would have thought that at least one side would have been perfect...but both sides...seems fishy. But then again a company that does this and this only should be able to handle it.

I don't know anything about sharpening saw blades really. There are quite a few grind marks on the blade too; not like it bothers me as long as it cuts but makes me question whether they can get it right. I have only heard good things about folks getting blades sharpened. Once I get that beautiful, mirror, crosscut on a piece of hard maple, I never want to see anything different. I don't think I'm asking for too much lol

Any service suggestions in the Des Moines, IA Metro area?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 07:27 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a new Forrest blade and within the first dozen cuts I hit a buried from a nail gun. Well it chipped several teeth. I sent it back to Forrest and they said the teeth were chip bad and would take a lot of grinding to fix it. Costing a lot of $$. So I bought a new one. I then took that chipped blade to a local sharpener and he said he could grind it and make it work like new for about $20. These guys do a lot of sharpening so they know what they are doing.

Anyways, I got it back and it did cut but not as good as the original Forrest sharpening. So what I might do now is send it to Forrest and let them touch it up to their spec's. It might not be too costly now since most of the grinding was done locally.

Forrest blades are awesome.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 PM

View triplechip's Photo Album My Photos
andy r m,

The question you ask is, are there any decent saw sharpening shops out there? Let me tell you a little about my shop in St. Louis Mo. Since 1903 my family has sharpened saw blades for all types of industries. Woodworking, plastic, steel cutting, aluminum and others.

We had a local woodworker ask if he could do a video of his blade being sharpened. We said sure, lets do it. Below is a quick video of his blade going through the process. Most of our sharpeners have automatic robotic loading, but we manually loaded his blade.

https://vimeo.com/137025186?utm_sour...Njg3fDc3MDE%3D

If I can be of any help, give me a shot at your business.

Thanks,
substratum likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to triplechip For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (02-03-2016), OnealWoodworking (02-01-2016)
post #7 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Not going to lie there triplechip, that is one sweet video and an awesome process! This is what I had imagined it would look like. That being said, not all companies use this type of grinding machinery? Else a tooth wouldn't have been skipped? I don't see how you could get a good cut without an operation like yours. Speaking of which, did I miss the name of your company?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 09:12 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy r m View Post

This company sharpens all sorts of blades and knifes for companies and private folks like myself. Is this an indication that I should not use them again? I don't understand how a non-laser machine can sharpen the outside of teeth and still retain precision....

In hindsight, I would have mailed them into Forrest to have the job done correctly.

I'm in Des Moines, IA
It is an indication that you need to contact them and let them know that they screwed up your blade and see how they plan to 'make things right'... :smile3:

It could very well be that they have a nice shop with great tools but on that particular day an idiot (or newbie) was allowed to run the machine and he was NOT properly supervised.

If you do not call and complain - How will they know that there is a problem with the work that was done and make an effort to correct things so that it does NOT happen again???
post #9 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 05:36 PM

I don't know what it is with people these days, nobody seems to want to simply take the direct route to get problems solved.

Last week a customer ordered the wrong part, instead of contacting me directly to substitute it, he registered a dispute with Paypal putting funds for the entire order on hold.
Four days later and several emails back and forth with them he finally signed off on the dispute so I could send his order.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (02-03-2016)
post #10 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

FrankC, is that directed to me? I contacted the company within the hour of not being satisfied; then posted this thread. My question was simply if I should use this company after getting that type of result...with the acknowledgement of not knowing of that type of result is common.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
FrankC, is that directed to me? I contacted the company within the hour of not being satisfied; then posted this thread. My question was simply if I should use this company after getting that type of result...with the acknowledgement of not knowing of that type of result is common.
Not really, it just fit in with this thread, and I got it off my chest.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #12 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM

View Justin Huisenga's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
H-ATB grinds get mangled by sharpeners pretty frequently. I'd look elsewhere for your next batch.

Give WD Quinn a shot. Just got a few blades back from them. They do good work. It doesn't affect the performance of the blade but laser etching my company name onto the plate is a nice touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quinn.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	212305  

The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (02-02-2016)
post #13 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I wouldn't.

Get a refund and send them out to Quinn to be repaired 'properly' and professionally.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Really appreciate it fellas
post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2016, 05:38 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt I'd give them another shot. You can mail them to a couple of places that have stellar reputations - Dynamic Saw in Buffalo, NY, Forrest in NJ, Ridge Carbide in NJ, or Scott Whiting in Glendale AZ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode