• 1 Post By Tom-G
  • 1 Post By Tom-G
  • 1 Post By Tom-G
  • 1 Post By Mark Jones Ozark
  • 1 Post By Mark Jones Ozark

post #1 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Resaw Bandsaw Blades

I know, I know... there are many threads about bandsaw blades. I have read so many posts, and info on manufacturers / supplier sites, that my heads is spinning...... For the most part, everyone has their favorite blade manufacturer and supplier. I have been using Timberwolf's as my general purpose blades, and have no complaints, well except that time I hit a small brad nail and ruined a new blade, but that's another story. A metal detector is on my Christmas list!

So here goes....

I want to do some resawing of kiln dried hardwoods and am using this as an opportunity to try other manufacturers' blades. Looking at 3/4 inch blades, I have narrowed the field down to Lenox and Starrett.
  • Lenox has just too many products to select from. I'm thinking the Wood Master B Bi-Metal with Bandsaw Blades Direct as the supplier.
  • For Starrett I'm looking at the Woodpecker Pro Bi Metal (not to be confused with the Woodpecker Premium blades), direct from Starrett.
If you have used either of theses blades, I'd be interested in your feedback as to cut quality, how long they last before needing to be replaced, and would you re-order the same blade as a replacement or switch to another blade. I realize this is subjective. Just looking for your overall assessment based on your experience using either blade. Also, any feedback on either supplier?

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 10:58 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I use the 1" Resaw King carbide blade from Laguna - works great for resawing. I realize this isn't in your list but thought I'd comment anyway.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply David. I originally considered the Resaw King CT and the Lenox Woodmaster CT. But they are 3 times the cost of the bimetal blades. I figured Id start with a bimetal and can upgrade to a carbide later when I have more experience resawing.
difalkner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 07:05 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
we resaw 1000's of feet on our resaw, and i have tried many resaw blades. the lenox carbide has been the best performer for us by far. i can get over a year out of them, where a hss would last about 1-2 months. we get the 1" 3tpi/2in or .66 tpi.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I use Timberwolf 3 TPI for resawing

I have an 18" Min Max that I use only for resawing and I use Timberwolf blades 143" long 3 TPI from Grizzly. I bought 6 of them last time to save on shipping. I see that Timberwolf now makes a carbide tipped blade in 1" X .035" for use only on 18" diameter wheels:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Tim...w-Blade/T25084

I guess I wouldn't start with a carbide tipped blade until I got more experience. I still have not tried one yet, although they do get great reviews from those folks who have them. I don't do that much resawing to warrant the extra expense, a factor you should consider .... and don't hit any metal either.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Just to add some background, Im a hobbyist woodworker. So resawing will be limited to whatever project Im working on at the time. I do get my Timberwolf blades from Grizzly, but Lately most of them were out of stock. Again, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try different blades, well that and I have a new 17 Grizzly bandsaw on order and my 93 1/2 blades just wont fit on it. (And those bandsaw blade stretchers are very expensive!!! )
difalkner likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-G View Post
......I have been using Timberwolf's as my general purpose blades, and have no complaints, ......
Tom
Which Timber Wolf blade have you been using? I bought a couple of 1/2" 4 tpi and don't remember why. If they were recommended for resawing dry wood or not. I've only been using the 3 tpi AS for green wood. But like you I have projects down the road.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-11-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Which Timber Wolf blade have you been using? I bought a couple of 1/2" 4 tpi and don't remember why. If they were recommended for resawing dry wood or not. I've only been using the 3 tpi AS for green wood. But like you I have projects down the road.
I have been using this Timber Wolf blade for ripping 4/4 hard maple on a Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw.

Grizzly item #T25024 - 93-1/2" x 1/2" x .032" x 3 TPI AS Bandsaw Blade

It cuts through the maple effortlessly, but the resulting cut is a bit rough. I'd like either a 3/4" or 1" blade with little smoother cut for resawing.

Here is a link to the Timber Wolf blade selection guide. It shows which types of wood and thickness each of their woodworking blades is designed to cut.

https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php

Tom
post #9 of 17 Old 07-11-2020, 12:31 PM
djg
Senior Something

You're using what I'm using, a 3tpi AS blade made for cutting green wood. I wouldn't think blade width would contribute to smoothness of cut only the number of tpi. I don't know.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-11-2020, 01:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's the set of the teeth .......

Quote:
You're using what I'm using, a 3tpi AS blade made for cutting green wood. I wouldn't think blade width would contribute to smoothness of cut only the number of tpi. I don't know.
The green wood blade AS, or alternate set, has more offset to the teeth, unless I'm mistaken. A raker set for dry wood will have a smoother cut due to less offset, BUT call tech support at Grizzly just to be certain.
https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Bla...r.php#Domestic

Green wood is expected to dry and then be milled straight and flat so the surface won't matter. Dry wood, at least in my shop, gets the same process, so the rough surface doesn't matter that much to me.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
djg (07-11-2020)
post #11 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Timber Wolf Blades Ordered

I placed an order directly from TimberWolfBlades.com for a 3 Blade Pack - Curve/Ripping/Resawing.

The Lenox site had a lot of information on cutting metal, but not a lot to differentiate between wood cutting blades. It was just too hard to figure out which blade to buy as I looked through their site again not really focusing on the Woodmaster B. I did try ordering a Starrett Woodpecker Pro blade direct from Starrett, when I clicked on "add to cart" I received an error message that it wasn't available and to call or email them. So Timber Wolf it is!

Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. I do appreciate it.
Tom
difalkner likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Tom. I have resawn some 60 4' long 12" round logs on my grizzly 17". I have only used the two Grizzly blades they stock. Both 1" 2 or 3 tpi. I found the cheapo 2 tpi blade worked out the best for me. I bought the 40 dollar blades and they didn't last any longer or sharper. They did produce a smoother cut but I surface them anyway not cutting veneer.

I would like to try a carbide but at 175.00 each I keep buying the 20.00 blades and just sharpen them with a dremil a couple of times and replace them when they break.

Here is a video of the blade cutting a old rotten walnut 4' long log. It cut through that like butter. The aged 2 year red oak that had been spalting on the ground I had to cut the logs down to 8" thick to get through them.

Tom-G likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 08:28 AM
djg
Senior Something

Hey, I like your setup. I'd like to see more of the construction of it. I only have a 14" bandsaw but I still could do something like that.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Mark - thanks for the info on the blades and the video. I didnt order a 1 blade as I wasnt sure if my new bandsaw could tension it properly. Obviously that wont be an issue as you are using 1 bands.

I also like your setup for resawing. You may want to start a thread on it to show how you built it.

Thanks again.
Tom
post #15 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

Here is most of the links and information on the sled. It works great. I have changed it each time a tweak or two here and there. My 1x4x8 bucket weight return post was swapped out with a 2x4x8 and I removed the winch wire rope with a braided rope. Also most of the unit is assembled with bolts and wing nuts. Takes about 30 minutes to drag it out from a verticle storage against the wall to having legs swiveled and bolted up and ready to resaw. A good sharp blade is recommended as it takes about 20 minutes to change a blade as the tables are bolted to the saw. Yet it's quickly doable.

Lots of links on this page. Most of the resaw stuff is on this page. It's not organized so sorry for that. The winch is a must in my opinion.
http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2019Shop...update2019.htm
Tom-G likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mark!
post #17 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Mark Jones Ozark

Quote:
Hey, I like your setup. I'd like to see more of the construction of it. I only have a 14" bandsaw but I still could do something like that.
I have a 12" bandsaw with a 1/2" resaw blade and a 1.5hp motor delta. It did resawing but smaller size boards 5.75" or less was my saws throat depth. We did a bunch of cedar with it. 40 some logs GRIN! I have a church scout group and we were making projects with cedar logs. Worked out great and the boys enjoyed it. Yet the board yelds are smaller boards. The bigger saw does better on resawing. I have both in the shop. Mainly keep the Grizzly 17" for resawing or ripping rough sizes fast!

The 14" bandsaws wheels are not designed for a 1" wide blade. I think a 3//4" blade is about as big as you can get. 2 tpi is best it's a rough cut but it gets you a straight board.

I don't have experience with a carbide blade. Price has kept me from trying them. I have a Grizzly store in my town so a new 1" bandsaw blade is only 22.00 bucks or so. They work and have been my best option I have had so far.

Keep up the great work and I love resawing logs. It's just fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode