Replacing a worm (cable) drive - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

View SAABMaven's Photo Album My Photos
Question Replacing a worm (cable) drive

G'Morning! One last question about the Craftsman 113.241691 table saw... in another thread a bunch of folks helped get me up and running, and I learned a lot in the process (Thanks again!!). I'm sure I'll have more questions after I get my radial arm saw out of storage !!! Here's the Q:

With the saw powered off, the blade does not spin easy. It doesn't bind, but it takes some effort to turn it by hand. Every ten degrees or so of spin, I have to push through some resistance. Is this normal? Or is it the sign of a worm drive that is failing?

Should I replace the worm drive? It's not even listed in the Sears online catalogue which shows most of the tool parts as 'discontinued'. So the secondary question is, is there an alternative source of replacement bits for the older tools?

Did a forum search on worm, nothing useful was returned; hoping to get a definitive searchable answer to add to the knowledge base.

Cheers!
Rob in Vermont
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-14-2008, 12:34 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
There is a cable in ebay now for about $40 http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Craftsma...d=p3286.c0.m14 , or Sears sells them new for about $82, or as I mentioned before, see if you can't switch the saw over to belt drive. For a little over $40 at Inline Industries you can get 2 machined pulleys and a link belt, you may have to switch the blade arbor on the saw, and those are around $45 new at Sears, I'm not sure which one it would take, but I'll bet Knotscott would know though.

Last edited by user4178; 09-14-2008 at 01:15 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
If it's a older RAS drop me a line.. Might have a few goodies/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

View SAABMaven's Photo Album My Photos
Oops, missed the auction, but Thanks !

The part isn't even listed on Sears' online catalogue... I'll give them a call to make sure.

Your idea of converting to belt drive is a great one; I may eventually have to do this. That cable seems to be a very life-limited part. I changed two of them on the machines in high school on my teacher's request...

Cheers,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck1957 View Post
There is a cable in ebay... or Sears sells them new for about $82...
post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2008, 10:37 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
It's unders Sears PartsDirect. Here is the schematic and the price on parts for your saw. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...b%20Components

Tags
cable drive, replacement, worm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode