Replacing my Table Saw.. maybe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By _Ogre

post #1 of 14 Old 06-25-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

View Droff's Photo Album My Photos
Replacing my Table Saw.. maybe

Hello everyone, new member looking for table saw information. Iím a hobby type of guy looking into replacing my early 90ís Craftsman saw, itís a 113.298840. Itís not a bad saw, I think it mainly needs upgrades like a fence and maybe a miter gauge. The fence hasnít been very reliable for some time but itís all cast iron as far as the table and wings, although the wings arenít solid. It will run either 110 or 220 and I have both in my garage. There is no riving knife or anything along those lines and dust collection is whatever I can rig up, meaning effectiveness isnít very high.

Iíve looked at new saws online only and really want to keep cost in the $1K to $1200 range or lower, and if I go that route, I think a new hybrid saw would suit what I need for size and ability as I donít have a lot of room. Right now, I think Iíd go with a Grizzly or maybe a Shop Fox from what Iíve read or seen but open to something else.

The used market is also a possibility and thatís where Iíd also like some opinions. Iíve found 2 or 3 Delta saws, all similar in price but maybe not in value. I would want solid wings and not stamped but could swap them over from my Craftsman if I needed to do that. Iíve seen many mentions of Delta saws and if gotten at a decent price, a guy should end up with a very nice saw.

As far as used, I think Iíd like a riving knife and better dust collection ability, so that may cut out a good bit of the used market.

Any opinions on one saw better than the other below?

An older gentleman is selling this, heís had a cabinet shop for 40 some years but broke his back somehow and is selling a lot of his machinery;
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...139618897.html

Same older gentleman is selling this one, he has rebuilt the motor, new bearings, belt, wire. Itís a 3 phase saw, not sure Iíd want to go that route though since Iím not sure what Iíd need to do to get it running on 220;
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...130978314.html

I kind of like this one, the fence looks like a good one, solid wings and table and from looking online, most folks have been happy with that model;
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...125742100.html

I donít like the stamped wings, but again, I may be able to swap out the wings from my Craftsman.
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...146797409.html

Thanks for your inputs.

Drew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Drew! Add your first name to your signature line and it will show in each post.

Unless you're building a shop in an industrial or commercial area it's probably best to stay away from 3 phase. The 2HP models look good but 1 1/2HP model has cast iron wings which I would prefer over stamped wings. Many of the cuts most hobbyist's make can be handled by a 1 1/2HP saw. But if you're cutting a lot of 8/4 Walnut or other hardwoods and expect to do it in one pass then the 1 1/2HP may not be the saw for you.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2020, 10:41 AM

View Elden Cozort's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I would have to pass on all of them. Only one has a fence I would consider better than the fence you have, but it is 1/5 HP, with little dust collection or safety.

I think you can get a 2 HP hybrid saw in your price range that will have safety features and better dust collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

The 3 phase is a bit much, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden Cozort View Post
Personally, I would have to pass on all of them. ..., Only one has a fence I would consider....with little dust collection or safety.
I think you can get a 2 HP hybrid saw in your price range that will have safety features and better dust collection

I think that's the way I'm actually leaning due to those two or three reasons. I'm rolling up on retirement and expect to use the saw more at that point so both of those are going to be more of a big deal.
Looks like the Delta with the cast iron wings has been sold.

Thanks.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I ran across a used Ridgid R4512 that's just under a year old, looks to be in really good condition. From what I've read, it has good dust collection as well as a riving knife and a better than the one I got fence so it checks several boxes. He's got it at $350 and likely won't move but I don't think that's unreasonable, he's got a few jigs made up to go with it.
I've been a little confused though, looks like the R4512 is discontinued but HD has an R4520 that appears to be the same. That's going for $750

Anything to be concerned with over with this saw? Discontinued or otherwise?

Thanks.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 01:36 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
replacing my early 90ís Craftsman saw, itís a 113.298840. Itís not a bad saw,
you'd be surprised at the amount of 113 table saws sears sold, probably the most prolific saw in history and also probably the most common saw used on this forum. mine is circa 1982 and still in great shape with minimal maintenance over the years. i've kept the stock fence and miter gauge; and have built an amazing amount of stuff on it. no it won't rip endless 8/4 but how often do you do that?

upgrade what you can and deal with it
GeorgeC, homestd and JayArr like this.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
.....upgrade what you can and deal with it

The saw has cut whatever I've put through it, that isn't the issue, at least for me.

I work in my garage, along with everything else that's in there and I'm not interested in dealing with the dust more than I need to. I've tried rigging up some kind of system and it made a difference, but still not very good. The fence on the saw is not very good, it doesn't feel like any amount of tinkering with it will make it better and I may be able to get a riving knife upgrade for it. An upgrade to the miter gauge would be a bit helpful too.
So, that's where the saw is, not just me complaining about it. I'm figuring $300-500 in upgrades and ending up with a sketchy result for dust collection.
I do like the idea of the motor not hanging off the back of the saw, provides a smaller footprint as well.

I may be able to get $150 for it as is, if I go the route of another saw.

So it gets down to cost, usability and available space.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 03:31 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
If the fence on your C'man is the twist handle type with a little tab at the back, its a good thing you're getting rid of it. Having used one a long time ago I can tell you its basically a POJ with an extremely unsafe fence. Its certainly not worth putting a $300 fence on it.

The Unisaw is by far the best of the lot, but the 3 phase motor is a deal breaker for that price. 3 phase machines are generally much harder to move, so he has no leverage. Common sense says a shop with 3 phase power is likely commercial and they aren't likely to take a chance on an old, rebuilt machine.

If you replace the motor with a single phase 3HP ($300+ & you'll have to replace the switch, too $100), offer him $300 with the explanation. When he says no, just watch the ad & when he's been sitting on it 30 days, call him and repeat your offer. By then he'll be more motivated to move it :-)

But seriously, if you're not experienced with aligning tables saw, etc. you're better off going with a new machine, considering things like its new, has a riving knife, warranty. IMO the Grizzly hybrid 2HP unit looks like a good entry level machine that will do the job for 90% of hobby shops. Its certainly far better than the average contractor saw like Rigid or Delta.

Good luck, but don't stop looking for the old iron.

Robert
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 03:35 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
you'd be surprised at the amount of 113 table saws sears sold, probably the most prolific saw in history and also probably the most common saw used on this forum. mine is circa 1982 and still in great shape with minimal maintenance over the years. i've kept the stock fence and miter gauge; and have built an amazing amount of stuff on it. no it won't rip endless 8/4 but how often do you do that?

upgrade what you can and deal with it

Completely agree. You have a good saw except for the fence and maybe the miter gauge. You can replace the fence and I do not know about the miter gauge. I am not even sure where mine is as I almost exclusively use a sled when doing cuts where the miter gauge would be used. I do have a 10" Sliding Compound Miter Saw where almost all crosscuts are made.

George
post #10 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 PM

View B Coll's Photo Album My Photos
Just my opinion there are two ways I would go in your position. One would be to purchase a good fence system for my existing saw, it is actually a good machine. I had one since the early 80's and my son still uses it today. If you really want to bump it up put on a 2-3 hp Baldor motor and 2-3 belt pullies. It will turn your old saw into a beast. If not, I would be patient and look for a cabinet saw. Similar to the 3 ph. Unisaw in the pics. The benefit of a cabinet saw is usually a better motor, no trunion to have to align with the table top. The table top loosens and aligns to your blade, far more accurate that way. Basically improve what you have, or truly upgrade. I do not see another contractor saw, or a direct drive saw as an upgrade.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 11:10 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
This guy seems to have some easy suggestions for dust collection.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

All good inputs and suggestions, no direction taken yet but the Ridgid R4512 was sold yesterday, so it's out of the picture.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 03:39 PM

View umbert's Photo Album My Photos
I was in your shoes few months ago. Looking all over for either a "good" used one or a new one within similar budget as yours. Problem with used one I had - I would have to rent / hire someone to bring it home, load it / unload it, etc... After reading I think each and every review of ShopFox W1837 online, I decided to buy it. It replaced my contractor Ridgid table saw, so no experience here with any other machines. But I must admit I love it !
I know, fence is not perfect, but once tuned up, it will do for whatever I need it for. Strongly recommend it ! And no trips, loading / unloading. Delivered straight to my garage door :)
https://www.woodstockint.com/products/W1837

BTW, Ridgid R4512 looks the same as that ShopFox, takes the same zero insert, exactly the same size I think..
post #14 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

If I end up going with a new saw, that ShopFox is at the top of my list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode