Replacing cells in a cordless drill - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

View carbide man's Photo Album My Photos
Replacing cells in a cordless drill

Just got the replace battery signal from my charger for a Dewalt 14.4V cordless drill. I see the pack is assembled with screws, so I would think that replacing the cells would be fairly simple. Does anyone have a good source for replacement cells? Are there any tricks to this job, other than simple soldering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Unless your time is not very valuable it's really easier and cheaper to buy a replacement battery. Unless you just like to tinker like me.
Here's a link to a thread where I presented a pictoral overview about halfway down the thread. I'm the kevjay dude on that forum.

Welcome to the forum!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I did find Topcellbatteries.com has one for $50. It just doesn't seem right to pay $50 for one battery when I only paid $120 for 3 batteries a drill and a screwdriver.

Do you have any suggestions for a replacement battery.

PS-I spent a little time looking at your website. Looks like a neat business you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Forgotten but not gone

I have always just bought the manufacturers replacement. I was fooling around with that disection because we were discussing it but one guy says that independent Interstate Battery battery dealers rebuild them.
If you have a indie IB dealer call them and ask. The couple of people that I know who did it found out it cost nearly as much or more to rebuild them.
Interested to find out your experience with it if you research it.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Home Depot is the place

After calling Dewalt and getting a replacement price of $69 plus shipping, I decided to go to HD. $24 for a factory replacement. I can't believe it! I will buy two more at that price and then it will probably be time to replace the drill with a new technology.

Dewalt said they didn't make the regular NiCad batteries, and I could only replace it with an XRP one. HD was out today, but they have a shipment that is past due. I wonder if it will be one of the last and Dewalt was correct, or if the guy at Dewalt was mistaken.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Forgotten but not gone

Yeah that didn't make sense to me either cm. Maybe he meant they didn't make them but thier momma company B&D makes them, or imports them.
Maybe the guy was just smokin nanner peels or sumptin.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 PM

View troubleseeker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Yeah that didn't make sense to me either cm. Maybe he meant they didn't make them but thier momma company B&D makes them, or imports them.
Maybe the guy was just smokin nanner peels or sumptin.
Just for information, Panasonic manufactures alsmost all cordless tool batteries according to my local tool supplier, and he has proven to be very accurate on his trade knowledge over the years.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Just for information, Panasonic manufactures alsmost all cordless tool batteries according to my local tool supplier, and he has proven to be very accurate on his trade knowledge over the years.
I wish that were true . . . . Panasonic NiCad batteries are often tested as the longest lasting batteries in their respective classes.
There are dozens of and dozens of battery manufacturers. Most foriegn but still some American mfg's too.

One thing is certain, Panasonic batteries are not junk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode