Refurbishing Table Saw - Minnesota/Wisconsin - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

View nnmsgst's Photo Album My Photos
Refurbishing Table Saw - Minnesota/Wisconsin

Hello

My grandfather passed away in January and I was lucky enough to get his table saw. It’s a Delta/Rockwell model 34-345 from the mid 70’s and I’d like to get it rebuilt to “like new” condition. The motor seems to work fine, but I need to have the fence replaced, and the entire saw looked over by someone who knows what they’re looking at. I understand that this is probably going to cost more than buying a new and more modern saw, but would anyone have any advice for where to start in the Minneapolis/upper midwest area?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
Hello

My grandfather passed away in January and I was lucky enough to get his table saw. It’s a Delta/Rockwell model 34-345 from the mid 70’s and I’d like to get it rebuilt to “like new” condition. The motor seems to work fine, but I need to have the fence replaced, and the entire saw looked over by someone who knows what they’re looking at. I understand that this is probably going to cost more than buying a new and more modern saw, but would anyone have any advice for where to start in the Minneapolis/upper midwest area?

Thank you
Yes you may spend more money, but I can appreciate a tool having sentimental value.

If you want an original fence, you will have to try your luck with eBay. This was round tubular.

If you want a better than original fence, get the Delta T2 fence from e.g., Toolsplus.
http://www.tools-plus.com/delta-36-t30.html

If the motor works, I am not sure what else needs to be "looked over". Remove the blade if you want to be safe, and plug it in to confirm.

First do a visual inspection of the saw, and blow out with compressed air if available. Likely to be some dust over time.

Try the handwheels for elevation and tilt. Search on this site for how to lubricate, and the type of lubricant. I prefer a dry lubricant like this one so it does not attract dust.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963...135_4294937087

If the handwheels and motor work, then all that is left is to calibrate the blade to the mitre slot, and later the fence to the mitre slot, in this order.

The manual will tell you how to do the calibration, or you can search for other threads on the site. This topic comes up now and again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
nnmsgst (09-26-2012), ObtainiumMaker (10-05-2012)
post #3 of 3 Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
IMO it's worth having done, or doing. You may be able to handle more of this than you think. As Dave mentioned, if the motor runs, there's not a lot of things that break or go bad. A lot of the work may just be cleaning, painting, lubing, and minor tuning. Check this out

If you still want to have it done for you, I'd check into a good tool retailer (not a big box store), or veteran woodworker if you know any.

Last edited by knotscott; 09-26-2012 at 03:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to knotscott For This Useful Post:
nnmsgst (09-26-2012)

Tags
minnesota, rebuild, table saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode