Refurbished power tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Refurbished power tools

Most of you are probably already aware of this message content, but for those that aren't, I hope you find this useful.
The Big Box stores like THD and Lowes have hundreds of power tools returned after only 3-4 days use. Their standard policy is to refund the purchaser and show customer support. Many people take advantage of this liberal return policy and buy a tool, use it on one job and return it, saying they are not satisfied with their purchase.
By law, these tools cannot be sold as new tools again. Most are sent back to the manufacturer and the mfg's service department refurbishes these tools for resale as factory refurbs. These rebuilt tools are discounted and sold through authorized service centers. Some of the discounts are significant.
If you are lucky enough to have a factory authorized service center near you, you can check their inventory which changes all the time.
Drills, power saws, chainsaws, nail guns, belt sanders, etc. All available at discounted prices but with the original manufacturers warranty.
I hope you can find a tool bargain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
Marv (01-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Most of you are probably already aware of this message content, but for those that aren't, I hope you find this useful.
The Big Box stores like THD and Lowes have hundreds of power tools returned after only 3-4 days use. Their standard policy is to refund the purchaser and show customer support. Many people take advantage of this liberal return policy and buy a tool, use it on one job and return it, saying they are not satisfied with their purchase.
By law, these tools cannot be sold as new tools again. Most are sent back to the manufacturer and the mfg's service department refurbishes these tools for resale as factory refurbs. These rebuilt tools are discounted and sold through authorized service centers. Some of the discounts are significant.
If you are lucky enough to have a factory authorized service center near you, you can check their inventory which changes all the time.
Drills, power saws, chainsaws, nail guns, belt sanders, etc. All available at discounted prices but with the original manufacturers warranty.
I hope you can find a tool bargain.
I haven't looked in years, but used to be able to snag Dewalt tools from the local repair facility. You can also buy online from a number of sources. My DW735 was "factory reconditioned" when I bought it many years ago for a little over $400...
post #3 of 11 Old 01-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
I have purchased several tools this way. About 50 miles from me there is a Direct Tool Outlet. They sell several brands but I have only purchased reconditioned Ridgid there. They come with a 1-yr warranty, which I have only had to swap out once. I have purchased trim router, two 18v drill/drivers, an 18v impact and my oscillating belt/drum sander there. Locally at the HD, I also purchased a nice 2hp Ridgid Router that looked new. I asked for the manager and made him an offer at 1/2 price. He countered with 40% off and I said yup.

Buying reman'd is usually better than buying new as you still have return/warranty options.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-29-2016, 02:50 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the DW 7480 compact table saw factory reconditioned. So far, it has worked as good as a new one. I did see the blade had a few marks on it so it had been used previously. I could see anything wrong with it.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-29-2016, 02:53 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Buying reman'd is usually better than buying new as you still have return/warranty options.
When I bought a digital camera, I bought a factory reconditioned Canon 40D model. They state that a factory technician has inspected and tested all functions of the camera to insure it works like a new one. I worked it hard with over 40K clicks on the shutter and no problem.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
When I bought a digital camera, I bought a factory reconditioned Canon 40D model. They state that a factory technician has inspected and tested all functions of the camera to insure it works like a new one. I worked it hard with over 40K clicks on the shutter and no problem.
When I had to do the only return on my factory Ridgid charger, the repair shop said they were very surprised to see an issue. The technician stated that while only a small percentage of new units are QA/QC tested, 100% of the Ridgid reman'd units were tested. Made me feel even better about buying them.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
The Following User Says Thank You to Burb For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (01-29-2016)
post #7 of 11 Old 01-30-2016, 10:25 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
When I had to do the only return on my factory Ridgid charger, the repair shop said they were very surprised to see an issue. The technician stated that while only a small percentage of new units are QA/QC tested, 100% of the Ridgid reman'd units were tested. Made me feel even better about buying them.
Same goes for computers and other electronic products, if it is a quality brand with parts made to last you can't go wrong.

I have been buying from the Apple refurb store for years, never had a problem.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
Burb (01-30-2016), MT Stringer (01-30-2016)
post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
I "accidentally" found my Craftsman BAS350 Rikon clone bandsaw at a Sears outlet store for 1/2 price due to an ad that popped up on this site. I was told it had been returned and the salesperson said even though it had not been used it could not be sold as "new" since the box seal had been broken/taped back together (I still got the full warranty).

I used the savings to upgrade it a bit since I had already anticipated paying much more for the Rikon I originally planned to buy. Now before I buy anything from Sears I automatically check the outlet store first just in case.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/cr...andsaw-109097/

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (01-30-2016)
post #9 of 11 Old 01-30-2016, 01:06 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Almost forgot, Amazon also has an outlet store where I have purchased several open box/returned/refurbished items at substantial savings.

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (01-30-2016)
post #10 of 11 Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 PM

View Minnesota Marty's Photo Album My Photos
I have had good luck buying tools that have be returned, reconditioned or refurbished. I buy from Acme tool here in the upper Midwest. They have a reconditioned section on most of their flyers. I find you have to act quick because the items go fast and are a pretty good deal. I have only had one thing that was not something I wanted to keep and deal with. So, I returned it under the 30 day return policy that Acme has.
Most of the time you know if it is a lemon or not right away. I can't remember the last time I bought a brand new tool.
Oh, last year I bought the Bosch 6" random orbital sander new.

Marty
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2016, 02:32 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
You have to be careful about the kind of store you shop at, there are liquidation stores out there with final sale policies that simply move the product on as "open boxes" so you get a great deal but there still may be problems or missing parts.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode