recommended method for creating box and other wood joints - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-26-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

View jrcharvey's Photo Album My Photos
recommended method for creating box and other wood joints

I'm just getting into woodworking and consider myself a novice. I would like to have the tools (not to mention the expertise) to create box, dado, and maybe a few other types of joints for boxes and drawers.
To get my woodworking hobby of the ground, I bought a Dewalt 745 table saw. It's a great little saw for most things I want to do but I found out that it doesn't accept a stacked dado set. So here are the options that I see for resolving my problem:
  • Return the Dewalt 745 and get another saw. I'm considering the Dewalt DWE7491RS. This option seems straight forward but the 749 is more than twice the cost of what I paid for the 745. I'm not sure it is worth the extra money when other options for cutting joints could be available.
  • Buy a router--- which I plan to do for other work anyway-- to do the job. I'm not sure how good a job a router can do cutting joints or how easy it is to do.
  • Figure out an easy-ish way to create joints on the Dewalt 745, which, with my skill level, I haven't had much luck with so far. I've seen several videos online for creating box joints but they all use dado blades. I've come up with some improvised methods using a normal combination blade but I haven't been happy with the results so far. I just can't reliably make accurate cuts.

Any suggestions. Is there any thing I haven't thought of yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2015, 03:34 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Either a table saw with a dado blade or a router mounted in a table will cut box joints no problem. The biggest hurdle is finding a jig that is accurate and easy to set up. Narrow boards are not nearly as critical as wider ones as any error tends to multiply the wider it gets.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
jrcharvey (12-28-2015)
post #3 of 4 Old 12-27-2015, 10:16 PM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
Box joints and dados can be cut using either a table saw with dado blade (or box joint blades) or routers with the use of well constructed jigs. I find cutting Dados, grooves and rabbits easier with dado blades, but have used routers. I find box joints more comfortable to cut using a router table, although many will feel just as comfortable using a table saw. There are locking joints that you can cut using a standard table saw blade for making drawers. Routers can be used for dovetail joints, not so with table saw.

So what advice would I give? 1) Get a router since you will need one anyway. 2) if you can return the saw and exchange it for one that can use a dado blade you should do so. A dado blade is way too useful to go without. Maybe you can exchange it for a model from a different manufacturer that doesn't cost twice as much.
The Following User Says Thank You to TerryQ For This Useful Post:
jrcharvey (12-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
For dadoes, I use an exact width dado jig. Google it.

I gave up on box joints after a few tries with the router and a jig. Some do a good job, but it just wasn't meant for me.

I have a dado stack for the table saw and use it sometimes, but use the jig for any dadoes larger than 1/2 inch.

If you look closely, you wil understand why a dado stack cannot be used on your saw. The arbor is too short. There is not enough room for multiple cutters and the washer/nut.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
jrcharvey (12-28-2015)

Tags
dewalt, joinery, table saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode