Recommend me a plug in 5" ROS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 11-26-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View Tom Hoppe's Photo Album My Photos
Recommend me a plug in 5" ROS

I currently have 2 ROS's, the 5" 18V cordless Rigid along with the 6" big heavy Rigid. The 18V was my first sander and I bought it as I had the rest of the Rigid cordless tools. It's great for rando jobs or quick sands, but sucks for middle length sands as it's heavy (with the batter) and pretty awkward to hold. The 6" is great for big sanding jobs (like a cabinet) but it's not great for that middle length sanding job.

So, any recommendations for something for that middle length sanding job, where I'll be holding the sander for a while, but don't want to break out the giant 6" sander? Needs to be easy to hold and use, light, be able to hook up to dust collection and can't be $500 like the Mirka that all the YouTubers use.

Perhaps the Festool ETS 125? It says it requires 9 hole sanding pads, but I have a WHOLE BUNCH of 5" 8 hole pads already. Will it totally not work with those?

Or am I overthinking this, and I should just buy the $30 Skil sander off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-Random-O...p/B07FKBDNNQ)?

Last edited by Tom Hoppe; 11-26-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-26-2019, 04:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You can't have too many sanders .....

My sanders range from 7" angle jobs, to 1/2 sheets, ROS in 5" from Dewalt, Porter Cable and ..... Walmart?
I finally decided it was better to have 3 sanders with different grits attached and leave them on, than to be ripping off the hook and loop papers and changing them out for a different grit, so Walmart's cheapest it was!

This one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...036G/787255254

some others they have:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/home-...caAvXEEALw_wcB

My latest for drywall:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXDGPJB...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-26-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-27-2019, 06:46 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
You can't beat the price on that first Walmart link, and I note that it comes with a dust collection port that allows you to connect a shop vac or dust collector. I have not tried that one, but at the price, what do you have to lose?

I bought a Harbor Freight random orbital sander (ROS). It was cheap, but I disliked it a lot and returned it. It vibrated a lot more than other models. Dust collection did not work at all. The rectangular port did not fit any dust collection tools, and the little slide-on dust collection bag kept sliding up and leaking dust out the gap. I returned it. Watch out for the same model with the awful rectangular dust port, but with different colors and brand names, sold in other stores. I have seen them all over.

I replaced it with a Ridgid ROS from Home Depot. That one vibrates less, and has a dust collection port that fits standard 2-1/2 inch hoses direct from my shop vac. It also has a smaller inner port for smaller duct collection attachments. It has a lifetime guarantee if you go to the hassle of registering the purchase. It cost twice as much as the Harbor Freight model, but it just works for me. I use it a lot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3...6011/100053683
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-27-2019, 10:52 AM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-r...rbo5041-r.html

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-27-2019, 04:39 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
You notice the rating on that Walmart sander though. Lots of people say it just breaks. What good is a tool that doesn't work?

All of my 5" ROS are DeWalt and I've never had a problem with them. They just run forever. The most I've ever had to do is replace a switch and a pad.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-27-2019, 10:44 PM

View jld123's Photo Album My Photos
I have had the dewalt 5in ros for 7yrs and still works great
post #7 of 14 Old 11-28-2019, 01:31 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I wore out two Porter Cable ROS, 5 hole. They were replaced with two DeWalt ROS 8 hole. Yes, I have a lot of 5 hole paper but a 12d (penny) nail converts all 5 hole disks to 8 hole disks but not the reverse. LOL

Watch for sales. IIRC I paid about $70 for both DeWalt several years ago. (Remember I've been out of the shop because of my knee replacements for about 3 years and I bought them years before that.)

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #8 of 14 Old 11-28-2019, 11:21 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I just purchased a DeWalt 5 ros after fondling all the other sanders offered by the local big box home improvement store. It replaced an old Ryobi I bought years ago. The DeWalt is a big improvement over the Ryobi.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-29-2019, 10:42 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a 60 gal. or larger air compressor, I would seriously recommend an air ROS sander or any air sander for that matter. Dont know why air sanders 'feel' better, but they do. And they do a great job.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #10 of 14 Old 11-29-2019, 11:07 AM

View Funengineer's Photo Album My Photos
Recommend me a plug in 5&quot; ROS

Works great for me. Lots of cutting boards and charcuterie boards. Easy to handle with low vibration and on board dust collection works fair and even better when you connect to a dust collector. Decent price point.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3...5041/205671780
post #11 of 14 Old 11-29-2019, 06:28 PM
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Random-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I personally have had bad luck with dewalt sanders. I've had TWO die on me, and the first one the pad went bad in a few months and I had to replace it. Granted I use my sanders a lot. Probably should start scraping more... That said I've also owned a RYOBI sander for about 3 years with no issues, had to replace the pad last year.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-02-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View Tom Hoppe's Photo Album My Photos
So I ended up choosing the Festool.

Got the Bosch and the Festool in hand, and the Festool felt better. I liked the way it was stable while hooked up to the vacuum. Also, the Festool is lighter, has less vibration, and stops the pad really quickly. Was $125 more, so not insignificant money, but not that much. So might as well get the better one to make sanding suck less.

Should be the perfect sander in my collection. I'll probably use this one the most, the 18V when portability is needed, and the 6" one when I need to remove a lot of material or have something giant to deal with.

Thanks for all the help!
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
The Festool is a fantastic piece of engineering. I am sure you will enjoy many years of good use out of it. For me, one of the main attractions to Festool (or Mirka) is the superior dust collection they offer. Do you have a suitable DC for the task?

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra router table | Grizzly G1023RL

Last edited by ChiknNutz; 12-03-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-03-2019, 12:10 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
The ETS125 is an excellent sander. What separates it from other sanders is less vibration, instant on/off, less noisy, and dust collection.

Granate pads are very good and last a long time, but I'm a cheapskate so I buy Festool - compatible discs from Industrial Abrasives. I think they are just as good as Granate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode