Rail and Stile thickness - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
PHIL

View PHILWILK4's Photo Album My Photos
Rail and Stile thickness

I'm trying to make house shutters with a rail/stile/raised center panel, using 1 1/4" thick material. Attempting to use rail and stile router bits for the first but have really struggled getting them to line up. Second question is can a rout a channel to slide the raised panel into or will I have to rabbet the back edges and glue into place? Appreciate any guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
With a stile and rail set it's important you have the thickness uniform. If you are running it free hand that is especially difficult to control. It needs to be done with a router table and set up where the material is brushed down. It needs substantial pressure to keep the wood from raising up off the table. Also your stiles need to be very straight. For what you are doing it's best to start with 1 1/2" material and run the face of it on the jointer until it's straight and then run it through a planer to 1 1/4"
post #3 of 8 Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 PM
Junior

View andr0id's Photo Album My Photos
What router bit set? Most will cut the slot for center panel and most will cut up to 1-1/4"

Are you using a router table? Those sets are not going to work hand held.

You're going to cut the ends of the rails first with the bit that leaves a tenon. Then use those tenons to adjust the height of the other bit to exactly the right height.

Run the inside edges of all 4 pieces and they should line up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
PHIL

Thanks for the quick reply. I did exactly that, started with 1 1/2 and planed down to 1 1/4". My first end cut on the rail with router is okay, but I'm not getting the stile bit lined up correctly. The bits I purchased didn't have a pattern block, so having to figure it out on my own. I did the end cut on a coping sled so I know that is clean but when I replace the bits to cut the stile, I'm off.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-25-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
PHIL

My router bits are Yonico and I'm using a router with a coping sled. The end cuts on the rails are clean, but I cannot get the stile cut to line up correctly.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 PM
Junior

View andr0id's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILWILK4 View Post
My router bits are Yonico and I'm using a router with a coping sled. The end cuts on the rails are clean, but I cannot get the stile cut to line up correctly.
Let's assume you wood is straight and not the problem then.

I find getting them to line up is very fussy and you have to account for any play in the router height adjustment and take tiny turns on the adjustment. If you want it perfect, you have to adjust in thousandths.

If you have a depth gauge, measure to the top of the cutting edge or the top of the shaft as a reference. See how far you're off and then adjust again using that difference to get where you need to be.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2018, 12:17 AM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
I had the devil's own time getting the rails and stiles of my medicine cabinet doors to line up. I cut all the rails first, then reset the table to cut the stiles. I used a home-made coping jig and made lots and lots of extra rail stock to test on.

Keeping the wood flat on the table is of utmost importance, and having a coping sled wide enough not to tip or rock is necessary.

Good luck

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #8 of 8 Old 02-26-2018, 08:55 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILWILK4 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I did exactly that, started with 1 1/2 and planed down to 1 1/4". My first end cut on the rail with router is okay, but I'm not getting the stile bit lined up correctly. The bits I purchased didn't have a pattern block, so having to figure it out on my own. I did the end cut on a coping sled so I know that is clean but when I replace the bits to cut the stile, I'm off.
When you run stiles and rails you have to start with scrap wood until you get it to line up. Other than that it's just a matter of keeping the wood flat on the table.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode