R4516 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 18Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
R4516

Had to drop my R4516 jobsite tablesaw off at the Rowlett, TX Home Depot tool rental since it is a Rigid service center. My arbor bearing is bad and blade wobbles. It has a lifetime warranty so no problems but I am on hold on certain projects. Had it since Nov 2017.

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

My next purchase is going to be a radial arm saw. Being without my tablesaw is driving me batty:). I do have a 10 inch Rikon bandsaw and able to do some small stuff but heck :). So once I get my tablesaw back from repair I am gonna rearrange my shop again to where I can have a radial arm saw, been seeing them pretty dang cheap on facebook in my area so once I get the money saved up gonna go shopping and checking them out.

Marlin
post #3 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 03:05 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I own several Craftsman RAS's ......

Some are 12" and others are 10", virtually the same except for the motors. The 12" saws have either a 220v only motor OR a dual winding motor and can be run on either 120 v or 220 v.

I would check into the differences here:
https://www.google.com/search?client...adial+arm+saws

The main difference is in the column, either a single split column or a 2 piece bolt together type. I prefer the single casting with a split and a tightening screw. I have taken the motor apart and replaced the bearings, but I've never separated the column from the lower housing.
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...rebuild-35737/

You will get opinions on the Craftsman brand VS the Rockwell or Deltas and those are considered more robust. However, for simple cross cuts at 90 degrees which I use mine for exclusively, The Craftsman versions are just fine. In a commercial or industrial setting the others would be more suitable.
mjadams61 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 03:15 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
At this stage of the game when all radial arm saws have depreciated in value so much it may pay to look around for a Dewalt, etc. brand over a Craftsman.
mjadams61 likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I seen alot of craftsman 10 inch radial arm saw all over facebook

Marlin
post #6 of 24 Old 10-13-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I drop some cash on a slightly bigger tablesaw. I been getting some walnut and maple slabs pretty dang cheap :). Well ripping them on my small jobsite saw the R4516 well it is a workout. I had to chock the wells on my mobile bench I made for it even though the casters are 4" locking.

So I went today and got the Rigid R4512. I got the legs on it and the wheels and have it sitting on its legs. WOW talking about a workout and thanks to my 2 sons and my wife :). My phone is dead so charging it up and will take some pictures later. Had to take a break and will finish getting it together tomorrow and making sure everything is align :).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191013_180611_791.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	379709  

Marlin

Last edited by mjadams61; 10-13-2019 at 08:48 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
............ I been getting some walnut and maple slabs pretty dang cheap :). Well ripping them on my small jobsite saw the R4516 well it is a workout. I had to chock the wells on my mobile bench I made for it even though the casters are 4" locking................
When any tool feels like it's giving you a work-out, safety becomes a concern.
mjadams61 and Tool Agnostic like this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #8 of 24 Old 10-14-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
When any tool feels like it's giving you a work-out, safety becomes a concern.
Yea my thinking exactly. I been cutting 2'-3' slabs about 20"-24" wide and about 2"-2 1/2" thick and this is after I cut the slabs down with my Hitachi circular saw and I have to make 2 cuts with it.

but all is good and since I could not sleep last night like a kid on Chirstmas eve I put the saw all together and align and I am happy :).

Having to come up with a better mobile stand and dust collection though, I got some ideals on both subjects. And I got a Diablo blade when I wear out the factory blade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191014_114516_924.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	379749  

John Smith_inFL likes this.

Marlin

Last edited by mjadams61; 10-14-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-15-2019, 01:32 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Marlin, It sure seem like fun with the new saw huh. Nice to have something new in the shop. Good for you!
mjadams61 likes this.

Gary
post #10 of 24 Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Alright, finally got my shop rearrange to where I can park my R4512 out of the way. I got rid of the home depot bench, in fact I re-purpose alot of the 2x4s to make a mobile bench for my bandsaw and planer. Just got to clean up my work area but kinda push myself a little so taking a break :).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191017_151015922.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	379831  

Name:	IMG_20191017_150919612.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	379833  

Name:	IMG_20191017_150951316.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	379835  

Marlin
post #11 of 24 Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

I finally put a shelf on the bottom of my new mobile bench to store my router table top and fence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191018_190306711.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	379871  

Old_Tom likes this.

Marlin
post #12 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Well heck, Saturday something happen to my R4512, I think its the bearing for the blade arbor but I am not sure. I used it to cut the lumber for my new mobile bench for my bandsaw and planer and it was doing perfect.

Saturday I started cutting 2"x1 1/4"x4' strips of walnut for a project for the one that I get my maple and walnut from for some free wood. Everything was going great got 4 strips cut then the saw starting to make a loud skreaching noise and slowing down. I shut it down and check to make sure the blade was turning freely and powered on the saw again without a load and still that loud noise started back up.

I called Ridgid and talk to them, then decided to check on the Home Depot return policy and well I am gonna return it and get another. I am a little upset but having work in the manufacturing world for several years I do know products get by QC and stuff happens.

LOL some would be anal and put of by this but I had the R4512 jobsite saw for a couple of years cutting the same stuff from soft to hardwoods and had to take it in for service because my blade develop a wobble and no its wasn't the blade :).
I got it disassemble down to the main unit plus the legs and will take it beck to my local Home Depot to swap it out.

Marlin
post #13 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 04:44 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Bummer.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Marlin, 8 days use from a brand new saw? Shameful!
mjadams61 likes this.

Gary
post #15 of 24 Old 10-23-2019, 02:37 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
my bought new 1982 craftsman saw has seen some pretty heavy use over the years without a problem
can't beat the service of these saws and the can be bought off craigslist for $100 to $200 typically with all the attachments
mjadams61 likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-23-2019, 04:27 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Marlin, 8 days use from a brand new saw? Shameful!
Stuff happens. I purchased a Ridgid R4331 planer from Home Depot. After a week and running a dozen or so boards through the planer it started making sounds like something was loose and rattling inside the machine. I took it back to Home Depot and the machine was replaced with a new planer. No questions, no hassles. I couldn’t ask for better treatment. The replacement has been running flawlessly for several years now and I recently installed the second set of new knives in it. It gets used.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-23-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Well like I said before, I work in the manufacturing business for a few years and we had no control over parts that was outsourced. I went back to the store and got it exchanged with no hassles, just the hassle of putting together another one :) but oh well part of having a hobby like mine :).

Marlin
post #18 of 24 Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Well like I said before, I work in the manufacturing business for a few years and we had no control over parts that was outsourced. I went back to the store and got it exchanged with no hassles, just the hassle of putting together another one :) but oh well part of having a hobby like mine :).
Marlin, Did you have to re box the saw or did they take it back assembled? It just seems like such a hassle. Glad they took it back.
mjadams61 likes this.

Gary
post #19 of 24 Old 10-24-2019, 02:16 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What about other similiar saws ?

Quote:

Any research that shows the same issue with other saws? I would want to know just to see if this was a 'one of a kind" problem. I have also found their return policy to be very good.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-24-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-24-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Marlin, Did you have to re box the saw or did they take it back assembled? It just seems like such a hassle. Glad they took it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Any research that shows the same issue with other saws? I would want to know just to see if this was a 'one of a kind" problem. I have also found their return policy to be very good.
gmercer I took the fence rail assembly both front and back and both extension plates only and put all the nuts and bolts and stuff in a plastic screw container that was empty and the larger stuff in a box and got my boys to help me load it in truck my mom let me use and took it back and they unloaded and loaded the other. Got my boys yet again to unload and help me a little to get it together. And the Home Depot is only a mile from the house and heaven forbid if I had to the service center is about 10 miles from me which is the Home Depot tool rental in Rowlett TX

Woodthings I did a lot of research before I bought it and after this happen and the only bad reviews and or issues was either the cast iron top was not level or the extension plates would not level but either or I did not have any problems with or correcting.
Kerrys likes this.

Marlin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode