Quincy Compressors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By firehawkmph

post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

View Big70Tom's Photo Album My Photos
Quincy Compressors

Is Quincy a reputable brand for compressors? I'm looking at a 60gal compressor by Quincy sold by Northern Tool, and Amazon. Compressors are just confusing. I was told to run a sander and have no issues a 60 gal would be the smallest I could get by with? Just checking facts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2017, 08:20 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
There are many brands for sure ...

I bought a 80 gal, 5 HP Northern Tool compressor some 15 years ago, and not a single problem. Quincy is a well known brand, as is Campbell Hausfeld, and oithers they sell.

This 60 gal Quincy has a 10,000 warranty on the compressor and delivers loads of air. I would feel comfortable getting one AND you can look at the reviews on Amazon for more advice:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2355_200612355

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Quincy a few years ago when I added on to my shop. It's a a 60 gallon, two stage, four cylinder. Works great, made in the USA and never falls behind. I run a blasting cabinet that calls for 13 cfm, never a problem. I bought it from an online company called Aircompressors.com, if I remember right.
Mike Hawkins
WesTex likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-29-2017, 09:56 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You ask what the smallest compressor is that you can get by with. You probably do not need a large compressor to run a sander. It all depends upon how many cubic feet per minute(cfm) that sander requires. Look at the specifications on the sander.

You also need to consider what other air driven tools that you may purchase and use in the future. Look at what cfm they may need.

60 gallon is a very large tank. My "large" compressor is 30 gallon. I also have a smaller portable with 3 gallon tank. The tank size on a compressor allows the compressor to store air to be used in those times when the running machinery cannot provide sufficient air.

You really need to understand just how an air compressor works to understand what size you will need. I recommend that you "google" air compressor operation and do some reading. If you do not understand you could wind up paying far more than you need or on the other hand not buying sufficient.

George
post #5 of 8 Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quincy is a reputable brand so you won't go wrong as far a reliability goes, the size you buy has to fit your needs. As a rule you can not have a stationary compressor in a shop that is too large.

Ignore HP and tank size, check the output in CFM's at 90 PSI, that is the only true indicator of performance. A larger pump will have a larger compatible sized tank, however some 60 gallon tanks will have a smaller capacity pump than others.

The longer and more often a pump runs the more heat is generated producing hotter air, as that air cools moisture is released in the tank and your air lines, this is not a good thing.

Check your tool, it should state the operating pressure in PSI and air consumption in CFM's, your compressor should be of equal but preferably greater capacity than required.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Great compressors, but they went to the John Deere school of pricing parts, rather brutal
post #7 of 8 Old 06-29-2017, 01:57 PM

View XeNoMoRpH's Photo Album My Photos
Also running a Quincy 2-stage 60 gallon compressor. No complaints here.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-06-2017, 10:41 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
Me too. Got a 5hp, not sure of tank size, 2 ft diameter, by about 5 feet tall. Works great. no problem. Quincy if a very old proven brand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode