Problems with my Delta Drill Press - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

View SailorCharon's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Problems with my Delta Drill Press

So I recently got a DP300L Delta Tabletop Drill Press. I just put it together and I'm running into some interesting problems right now. Because of how the track for raising and lower the table is attached, the table wiggles back and forth as I raise it. Also the drill press has a dissapointing 2 1/2" plunge(?). These two pieces of information combined make this thing nearly useless to me since I often want to go through more than 2" of wood at a time.

If I could get the table to stop wiggling as it goes up and down I could use the table to raise and lower to get extra height. Alternatively, if I could somehow extend the plunge depth I could get extra height. I'd ideally like to be able to go through at least 5" of wood as one of my projects right now requires a 5" hole in one place.

Of course, my last option is to go and buy a better drill press, but I'd prefer to get some use of out the cheap one I have as I have a hard time believing anything could be quite as useless as this is to me right now.

For more detail on the wiggling: The track is a trapezoidal piece of metal with a ring above and the base below that keep it from shifting up and down. It does this job very well and I'm please with that. The problem is that the track can move around the column of the drill press since nothing's blocking it. I've thought about getting a drill bit for going through metal and then putting a hole in both ends of the track into the column (will my hand drill even do that?). Other than that, I don't have any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 PM

View Av8rTx's Photo Album My Photos
If I am understanding correctly. I think the track is designed to move around the column so the table can move side to side, rotating on the column. If you disable that you reduce some of it's "functionality" Perhaps you could drill and tap a hole in the track itself and use a set screw to lock it in place and eliminate the "wiggle" without drilling into that center column.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM

View jkristia's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same drill press and the wiggling has bothered me a few times.
One time I had to drill a hole counter bored with a 1 forstner bit, but I was unable to change the bits without lowering the table, and because of the wiggling the hole did not get exactly centered. Next time I need to drill a similar hole I will try and clamp the track to see if that helps.

Jesper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rTx View Post
If I am understanding correctly. I think the track is designed to move around the column so the table can move side to side, rotating on the column. If you disable that you reduce some of it's "functionality" Perhaps you could drill and tap a hole in the track itself and use a set screw to lock it in place and eliminate the "wiggle" without drilling into that center column.
You're understanding correctly. It can rotate around the column, but because of the short plunge depth I can't do what I need to when it rotates back and forth as I raise/lower the table. As it stands the drill is essentially useless to me so I wouldn't mind damaging that 'function' at all if I could use the table to affect drill depth in the work piece.

I guess I should figure out how to put a set screw into the track and if that's not enough look at extending that into the column as well. Thanks for the ideas.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 AM

View Cookn's Photo Album My Photos
Have you thought about using different size blocks under your piece to extend or subtract distance from your quill. That way you wouldn't have to move the table at all. In other words if you need a 4" deep hole place your object on a 2" spacer, drill to the max depth you can, replace the spacer with a 4" spacer and finish you hole. It would require that you start the bit in the wood for the second half of the hole but it would get your depth and solve the table movement because once you set the table before you start you never have to move it until you finish. PVC pipe, in a diameter that fits and holds your work off the table, cut to length makes great spacers.

The only other option is to make sure that the collars that hold the track to the column are tight and tight against the top and bottom of the track. Any looseness will be magnified when you move the table up and down. I took a rubber mallet and made the top collar quite tight before I tightened it up and it made a big difference on movement.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 04:31 AM

View Ratt's Photo Album My Photos
I have it also

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...1&d=1244535941 Had the same problem had to drill and reset to go all 4" on post. By the way had to do this 134 times 2 days 2 bits. Hope you like my work.
Ratt
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm not really content with the table moving at all right now but I'll try the rubber mallet. Also I'm noticing that the handle is putting a lot of torque on the track, so I figure if I replace the lever handle with a wheel handle I'll apply less torque to the track. Maybe the mallet and the new handle will be enough .

The PVC pipe also sounds promising. I might try that.

By the way, nice looking work Ratt.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM

View Clouseau's Photo Album My Photos
Put a radiator hose clamp on the rack and post just bove the table and one 5 ot 6" below the table casting. This will keep it from rotating and you can always reach down with a nut driver or screwdriver and loosen when needed. When I was putting together a "Frankenstein" drill press, I held the rack completely in place with hose clamps until I bought rings. One of the woodworking magazines a few months ago showed a wooden arm/stop so you could swing the table back to the same position after moving the table. You might do a search.

St. Louis, MO

Tags
delta, drill, modifications, press

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode