Pricing 1963 Dewalt Radial Arm Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-30-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

View arvanlaar's Photo Album My Photos
Pricing 1963 Dewalt Radial Arm Saw

Hello All,

I hope you are all having a great holidays :)

I am looking to sell my 1963 Dewalt radial arm saw and I have been having some difficulties. It is in fantastic working condition save for the table and it has gotten quite a lot of views on Kijiji (think Craigslist for Canada) but no offers. I am thinking that I may be over valuing the saw and was wondering if I can get any of your opinions as to what the value is. You can view the add with the images of it here: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/os...saw/1221279875

It is a Dewalt Power Shop Model 1400. You can see the manual for it here http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/252/7344.pdf. Currently I am pricing it at $200 OBO (that is Canadian pricing so in American dollars think $150).

Am I pricing it too high which is discouraging buyers or is it a matter or radial arm saws not being in hot demand and I just need to wait for someone who wants it? I could really use your advice thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Radial Arm saws are not as popular as they once were. Partly replaced by newer Sliding Compound Miter Saws. Your '63 model saw is now about to be 54 years old. People interested in vintage equipment will be your prospects.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 12 Old 12-30-2016, 04:51 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Do a search for Dewalt Radial Arm Saw on the page you linked to, that will show you what else is out there in your locality. As has been said radial arm saws are not that popular anymore so I would not get your hopes to high.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-30-2016, 07:38 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Used RAS, pretty much regardless of who the mfg. is, routinely sell for $50-$100 on craigslist around these parts.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-25-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I thought I would let you all know for future people doing research, at $150 I was getting multiple offers a day. It seemed the $200 threshold needed to be passed to get offers. Now I have space and money to get a table saw :)

Thanks for all your help!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-25-2017, 04:38 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Radial Arm saws are not as popular as they once were. Partly replaced by newer Sliding Compound Miter Saws. Your '63 model saw is now about to be 54 years old. People interested in vintage equipment will be your prospects.
Not sure about the appeal as vintage. More appeal to someone who appreciates a quality, very useful, piece of machinery, that makes a number of operations easier.
Wouldn't want to be without mine.
Depending on condition, up to $200 sounds right. It's not a Craftsman your selling here!
Depends on your location. I'm in SW FL, and can't sell my old Dewalt MBF for $75. Decided to mount it next to the Dewalt 7790, just for dados.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 08:56 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
If you like a radial arm saw hold out for a Delta 12" RAS. Better saw...
Attached Images

post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
If you like a radial arm saw hold out for a Delta 12" RAS. Better saw...
Better yet, hold out for a Dewalt 12" RAS. Better saw. IMHO of course.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 06:34 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I've not used the Dewalt, but I don't think it has the same reliability as the turret...

Now if someone can post the comparison, I'm game....
post #10 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The saw has been sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvanlaar View Post
I thought I would let you all know for future people doing research, at $150 I was getting multiple offers a day. It seemed the $200 threshold needed to be passed to get offers. Now I have space and money to get a table saw :)

Thanks for all your help!
He's not holding out for anythiing other than a new table saw... just sayin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 12 Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
He's not holding out for anythiing other than a new table saw... just sayin'
Haha ya they missed that. I actually picked up the table saw last night and I am VERY happy with it :D
post #12 of 12 Old 01-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
I've not used the Dewalt, but I don't think it has the same reliability as the turret...

Now if someone can post the comparison, I'm game....

I would like to see a comparison also.
A friend had a Delta turret saw and a part was bad in the pivot, and he couldn't find a replacement.
I like the simplicity of the Dewalt saw, especially the tapered lug that locates the arm.
I also have a Red Star ras (Design Delta bought) and it is a fine saw. The only thing I didn't like was there is no detent for 90 degrees. Not a big deal as a minute with a square and a test cut gets it there.

Our HD has a big Orig. Saw Co (Dewalt design) and Lowes has a big Delta turret.
Talk about tool candy stores!
One thing the HD saw has, is a strong return spring mechanism. I rigged a return up n an old CM ras I had and it helped a lot in preventing over feeding. I used bungi cord. I found my Dewalt 7790 saw with a lot more power than the CM, doesn't want to climb as much. It just cuts. I don't even use a negative hook blade on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode