Thanks. I took off the fan shroud. It's sealed on that end too, so without opening it up, there are openings to blow into anyway.
The tin electrical junction box and the capacitor shroud are sealed with gaskets, with no signs inside them of moisture having entered.
I rewired it to the saw, flipped the saw switch to on, then plugged in the 110 cord. Runs great. And the blade spins freely. Neither the blade shaft nor the motor shaft have any play, to the touch.
Now I need to free the ripfence head.
One nice thing about this contractor-style saw are the two-position legs, for with and without casters. It has the old style vertical legs with splayed feet, which makes the two heights possible compared to the modern splayed legs, which i never understood anyway, just a waste of space.
I took off the casters which were clearly not original, and none of which locked. I'm thinking of mounting the base on a square of 3/4 ply, and all-terraining it using 6" or 8" diameter wheels.
Last edited by unburled; 04-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.