PowerMatic 66 Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

View DannyG's Photo Album My Photos
PowerMatic 66 Question

Hello to all you woodworkers. I have been restoring a PowerMatic 66 1970s era (dark green) for about a year now. I got this off Craigslist and it did not come with any rails, but it did have the fence, (which weighs about 70 pounds!) I had to make some rails for it, which I made out very heavy schedule 40, 1” pipe. I don’t know how this is 1” pipe because the outside diameter is 1.339”. The inside race of the fence which slides on the rails is 1.375. This is quite a bit of difference. I was wondering if one of you nice people who have a older PowerMatic 66 with the original rails, would measure the exact outside measurement of the front rail? I would really appreciate it. Incidentally, I know I should just switch it to a Beesy fence, but I want to keep this all original if I can. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-18-2017, 11:40 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Iron pipe sizes make little sense the measurement is supposed to be the inside diameter , once you get to 1 inch it is kind of close, but under 1 inch it is way off, 1/8 is about 5/16

They probably used mechanical tubing, it is rolled to certain diameters and wall thicknesses You would probably find the right sized pipe at a place that sells specialized metal products
post #3 of 7 Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM

View ChuckBarnett's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
Hello to all you woodworkers. I have been restoring a PowerMatic 66 1970s era (dark green) for about a year now. I got this off Craigslist and it did not come with any rails, but it did have the fence, (which weighs about 70 pounds!) I had to make some rails for it, which I made out very heavy schedule 40, 1” pipe. I don’t know how this is 1” pipe because the outside diameter is 1.339”. The inside race of the fence which slides on the rails is 1.375. This is quite a bit of difference. I was wondering if one of you nice people who have a older PowerMatic 66 with the original rails, would measure the exact outside measurement of the front rail? I would really appreciate it. Incidentally, I know I should just switch it to a Beesy fence, but I want to keep this all original if I can. Thanks.
I have a model 65. I think perhaps the rails are the same. I will take a look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-18-2017, 07:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
pipe is not tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Iron pipe sizes make little sense the measurement is supposed to be the inside diameter , once you get to 1 inch it is kind of close, but under 1 inch it is way off, 1/8 is about 5/16

They probably used mechanical tubing, it is rolled to certain diameters and wall thicknesses You would probably find the right sized pipe (tubing) at a place that sells specialized metal products
Do not bother with the pipe. Get the proper OD tubing, it's a common size. The original rails were probably plated, zinc or chrome so that adds a small amount to the OD. Take your fence with you to the supply house and actually fit the tubing inside it.
Good Luck on this!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Looks like I got rid of the rails. I still have the old fence. The rails were plated and mine were going to pot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

View DannyG's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks

Thanks to all of those who responded. I appreciate it.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 PM

Okay, cluttered workshop sighting...

I found those rails!! :) You're probably long past that by now, though...

Chuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode