Powermatic 66 project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 08-04-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

View jpaul's Photo Album My Photos
Powermatic 66 project

Hello All,
I found this site while searching for info on rebuilding a PM66, I found the very informative thread by Mr. Falkner and was hooked.

I recently acquired a PM66 for what I think was a very good price, from the outside the only issue it has is a lightly rusted top, the previous owner had it in an outside storage shed. I'm tool and die maker and machine builder from a way back so I have no issues with taking something apart if needed.

The saw has spent some time in Fla and I noticed all the exposed screw and bolt heads were very rusted as well as half of the dust connection at the base of the cabinet was rotted off. The cabinet itself doesn't have rust but the paint is peeling and flaking enough that I can't live with that.

After I got my head inside to look around I noticed some areas in all the corners that were pretty rusted, I think from the sawdust that was trapped there holding moisture. The blade elevation and tilt would all work through the full travel but it was pretty tight, enough so it needed attention.

Today I finally got started with taking it all apart. I had taken off the extension table and the fence before unloading it to make that a lot easier. It has the beisimeyer 50" fence that appears to be standard equipment.
One thing that has me kinda baffled about this machine. According to the S/N, if I'm reading it correctly, is that it is a 1986 model, 86 is the first two numbers of the serial number. The machine does not appear to have been repainted, it still has the gold paint and black stripe around it. If someone has painted it before they did a jam up job on it. After I got everything out/off the machine and turned the base over there is some pretty serious rust on the bottom, not so much up the sides, but some. But the baffling part is there is gold paint on TOP of the rust pits. I know good and well the factory didn't paint over pitted metal so evidently it has been painted before, but if they went to that kind of trouble why didn't they fix the rust pits? This rust wasn't seen before because it sits in a mobile base.

Powermatic 66 project-img_4263.jpg

One noticeable difference in my saw and one Mr. Falkner rebuilt is on mine the trunnion assemble is bolted in at the four corners, not fairly close together like his. I guess that was a design change sometime between 1986 and 1990.

Powermatic 66 project-img_4256.jpg

But anyways, I'm looking forward to fixing this baby up and making her as good, or better, than new and it lasting me the rest of my life and then for someone else.
I don't know that I can do as good of a job as Mr. Falkner did on his, but it's going to be fun trying.

I'm just excited to finally having a good table saw instead of the little contractors saw I've been using forever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4256.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	364546  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4263.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	364548  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Glad you got a good saw and looks like you're on the right path to get it restored. Also glad my restoration thread was of some use to you. Holler if I can help!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

View jpaul's Photo Album My Photos
Question for Mr Falkner, when you rebuilt your saw you painted the inside white and the castings black, are you still happy with this decision? I was going to paint the inside of mine white too, we do that on a lot of customers jobs at work and it really makes a difference. If you had it to do over again, would you go the same route?
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode