Porter cable Omnijig vs. leigh jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Cabinet Maker

View hands made for wood's Photo Album My Photos
Porter cable Omnijig vs. leigh jig

i'm going to be buying a 24" dovetail jig and was wondering what you guys thought... if I were to buy a leigh jig I would have to order it in, where as you can buy a 24" porter cable omnijig at house of tools and not have to deal with shipping and so on. But what I was wondering was what you guys thought was the best make and experiences you have had with either of the brands, Thanks.

Hands made for wood

"While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Levi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 01:29 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
I've used a Leigh for many years. I haven't used a PC since they changed to this new concept. The Leigh does a very good job, of course they look like machine made dovetails which is not always what you want. But you can vary the spacing pretty much anyway you want it, bigger and smaller next to each other too. The only negative about the Leigh is that it does require some set up time. I wouldnt say you can just go out and cut a drawer's dovetails in 10 minutes. Once you cut the first drawers dovetails, then the second is less than 10 minutes, but that first might take 45 minutes or longer to get it all set just right. And it IS very dependent on making all the stock the same thickness. (in the case of drawers, all sides have to be the same, all fronts have to be the same, (but may be different from sides, etc) You have to read the Leigh manual about 4 times and do some practice cuts etc, that help you get it under control. This is for half blind dovetails, which is mostly what I have used it for. These are harder than thru dovetails.
best
paul
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 01:59 PM

View Wood4Fun's Photo Album My Photos
I've used neither, but have own two different DT Jigs (sears and PC). Just thought I'd chime in on Pauls comments..... I think the setup comments he makes, time spent, re-reading manual, etc, applies to every DT Jig out there - I base this on my two, plus a third that a friend has (Sears Proffesional, which btw, I think is junk).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

View gusthehonky's Photo Album My Photos
I own the leigh super jig 12". Paul K. pretty much summed it up. Once mastered, it is quite nice, but there is a considerable learning time period as well as set up for each use. Plenty adjustable, multiple joints; box, 1/2 blind, thru dts, sliding dt, the bits are included also, I thought the price was a fair deal. I use 2 routers 1-pins, 1-tails.
________
WENDIE 99

Last edited by gusthehonky; 04-25-2011 at 05:24 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 AM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with posters re: studying manual, working with "scrap" for tests and spending time to familiarize yourself w/the DT machine. The Leigh is very good, the new PC Omnijig is also. Most of the others are difficult to adjust and fine tune. Be aware that if you want to do 1/4" DT, you need to spend quite a bit more for the template kit on either. I have the Leigh and am very happy with it

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com
post #6 of 7 Old 09-07-2008, 01:51 PM

View RJSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Post Porter cable Omnijig vs. leigh jig

I purchased the Leigh jig several years ago, my decision was based on the fact, at least at that time, that to make different DTs halfblind, thru, etc. you had to purchase different templates for the Omnijig, with the Leigh, it had all you needed with it. some of this may have changed with the OMJ since.
I am happy with the Leigh, the manuals are very clear, though it does take some practice each time I use it, I don't make DTs that often, so I tend to forget and have to be retrained, but it doesn't take so long now.
I did once try the Woodrat, I had too many problems with it, it is a good machine tho, it was just me.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 12:42 AM

View BloomingtonMike's Photo Album My Photos
I have the older model 24" omnijig. 7216 is its model number. It comes with a half blind and the variable space through dove tail templates. It is bullet proof. Seriously solid. With the new model out there are deals out there on the older models. Watch amazon.

Do you need 24"? The older 16" has had great deals on it as well but I believe it only comes with only one template - the half blind. 5116 is its model number.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode