Porter-Cable 895PKR 2 1/4 Peak HP Multi-Base Router Kit with Router Table Height Adju - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

View ChipperOfWood's Photo Album My Photos
Porter-Cable 895PKR 2 1/4 Peak HP Multi-Base Router Kit with Router Table Height Adju

Does anyone know anything about these? Or own one? The reason I am interested is I want to use it in a table that I am about to build.
I like the above the table height adjuster.
Are there other routers that do this also?

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Two other are

The Freud and Milwaukee:
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-Variable-Speed-Plunge-Router/dp/B006WMT2K4/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1367114243&sr=1-2&keywords=Freud+FT3000VCE

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5625-20-2-Horsepower-Variable-Adjustment/dp/B00007FPJK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-27-2013 at 09:57 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
I have a couple of Porter cable 890 series routers. One is for hand held work and the other is used in one of my router tables with the above table height adjustment. The fine adjustment works OK on the hand held however the height adjustment on the one in the router table started acting up after a very short time. Upon taking it apart to diagnose the problem I found that the pinion gear is made of plastic and apparently wore out quickly due to the weight of the motor while inverted. I also have a Bosch 1617 that I plan to use in the new router table I am building since it uses a simple threaded rod design for fine height adjustment and that works much better than the PC when inverted IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipperOfWood View Post
Does anyone know anything about these? Or own one? The reason I am interested is I want to use it in a table that I am about to build.
I like the above the table height adjuster.
Are there other routers that do this also?

Charlie
Hi Charlie - actually quite a few these days.
The two woodnthings mentioned plus this Craftsman
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-am...83000P?prdNo=3

and this Bosch
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1367127654&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+1617evspk

and this Triton
http://www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001C-4-Horsepower-Precision-Router/dp/B000DINFHY/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1367127717&sr=1-2&keywords=triton+router
There are likely more, I'm just not aware of them... yet

FWIW - I've got a Freud 1700 in a benchtop portable table and a Freud 3000 in a full size table and both work very well with the lift. I use a 8 or 10mm internal hex socket with an automotive speed wrench to wind the routers up and down. (The 1700 uses 8mm and the 3000 uses 10mm).
I also have the above referenced Craftsman and while it is doable to access from above the table, the hex drive is only about 3/32" and looks to me a bit small to access reliably without getting a bit creative. The unit isn't advertised as being above table adjustable, it just is if you want to go about it. The $100 price tag does give you pause though.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Last edited by jschaben; 04-28-2013 at 01:54 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post

and this Bosch
Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit with 1/4-Inch and 1/2-Inch Collets - Amazon.com

and this Triton
Triton MOF001C 2-1/4-Horsepower Precision Router Kit - Amazon.com

There are likely more, I'm just not aware of them... yet

FWIW - I've got a Freud 1700 in a benchtop portable table and a Freud 3000 in a full size table and both work very well with the lift. I use a 8 or 10mm internal hex socket with an automotive speed wrench to wind the routers up and down. (The 1700 uses 8mm and the 3000 uses 10mm).
I also have the above referenced Craftsman and while it is doable to access from above the table, the hex drive is only about 3/32" and looks to me a bit small to access reliably without getting a bit creative. The unit isn't advertised as being above table adjustable, it just is if you want to go about it. The $100 price tag does give you pause though.

Funny you should mention the Craftsman. The reviews seem to be mixed on this one. There seems to be some base plate issues. I have this router kit in my sights for only one reason and that is price. Being married to a lady that works for a store that sells these very routers I can get an additional 20% discount. But if it's going to be trouble down the road maybe it's not worth it. Any one have one of these and what do you think? Is the above the table adjustment workable in a table?

I would be interested in the Bosch except I don't know much about them. Other than Amazon who sells them? I would like to see one.

The 3 +/- hp units mentioned sound like monsters and quite heavy for hand work. But not having handled one maybe they would be ok. They are probably much more expensive. BTW I am just a hobbyist but I do work on projects with mortise and tenon joints and the like.

One last thing. How much reliability do you all place on reviews? Sometimes they seem a bit biased but I do read them for educational purposes.

Charlie
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
3hp (15 amp) is ideal for table use, though a bit heavy for hand use. Eventually, most of us end up with separate routers that are each better suited for their respective tasks (table and hand use).

For table use you'll want suitable power to spin the big 3" panel raisers, and variable speed to slow down the rpm...lots of choices offer above table height adjust (PC, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc) but only a few offer above table height lock, auto collet lock, and a collet that protrudes through the top far enough to change bits from the top (Freud/Triton).

For hand use you won't need as much power, you won't need variable speed, and you won't need the topside conveniences, so they tend to cost less. I'd suggest buying a good 13-15 amp router for the router table, then eventually look into one of the smaller Cman routers through your wife for hand use...they get pretty good reviews on these boards as being good value routers for DIYers.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
John

Quote:
Funny you should mention the Craftsman. The reviews seem to be mixed on this one. There seems to be some base plate issues. I have this router kit in my sights for only one reason and that is price. Being married to a lady that works for a store that sells these very routers I can get an additional 20% discount. But if it's going to be trouble down the road maybe it's not worth it. Any one have one of these and what do you think? Is the above the table adjustment workable in a table?

I would be interested in the Bosch except I don't know much about them. Other than Amazon who sells them? I would like to see one.

The 3 +/- hp units mentioned sound like monsters and quite heavy for hand work. But not having handled one maybe they would be ok. They are probably much more expensive. BTW I am just a hobbyist but I do work on projects with mortise and tenon joints and the like.

One last thing. How much reliability do you all place on reviews? Sometimes they seem a bit biased but I do read them for educational purposes.

Charlie
Hi Charlie - I've one had the Craftsman a little over a month and have been fairly impressed with it's power, handling, dust collection and plunge action. I'm not overly impressed with it's microadjust function. It works pretty stiff but I only really use it with engravings.
The only baseplate issue that could occur as far as I can imagine is the bit hole is relatively small. The router comes set up to accept Porter Cable style guide bushings with no adapter. This means the through hole in the base plate MUST be 1-3/16" in order for that type of guide bushing to work. That also means that a 1/4" roundover bit (very common bit) won't fit through the hole. Sears, in all it's marketing wisdom, sells an accessory kit of base plates (six I think) to accomodate this. I simply installed one of these baseplate kits which includes a bunch of bushings.
http://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1211-Metal-Nose-Bushing-Routers/dp/B002YD7ZBI/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1367155697&sr=1-10&keywords=milescraft+router+guide+kit
I think the height adjustment could be workable in the table, just because of the small size of the hex finding the right tool in that size could be an issue. I can't say for sure as I haven't tried it yet.

Most reviews, especially the Amazon ones, I take with a grain of salt. First thing I look at is the distribution, if I see a lot of favorable with a few unfavorable (I don't count 3's) I read the unfavorable ones. If you read them carefully a lot you find packaging complaints and some just plain ol brand bashing.

Your best bet for looking at a Bosch 1617 could be a Lowes. You didn't specify the geographic area you are in so it is difficult to come up with suggestions.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #8 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Charlie - I've one had the Craftsman a little over a month and have been fairly impressed with it's power, handling, dust collection and plunge action. I'm not overly impressed with it's microadjust function. It works pretty stiff but I only really use it with engravings.
The only baseplate issue that could occur as far as I can imagine is the bit hole is relatively small. The router comes set up to accept Porter Cable style guide bushings with no adapter. This means the through hole in the base plate MUST be 1-3/16" in order for that type of guide bushing to work. That also means that a 1/4" roundover bit (very common bit) won't fit through the hole. Sears, in all it's marketing wisdom, sells an accessory kit of base plates (six I think) to accomodate this. I simply installed one of these baseplate kits which includes a bunch of bushings.
Milescraft 1211 Base Plate Metal-Nose Bushing Set for Routers - Amazon.com

I think the height adjustment could be workable in the table, just because of the small size of the hex finding the right tool in that size could be an issue. I can't say for sure as I haven't tried it yet.

Most reviews, especially the Amazon ones, I take with a grain of salt. First thing I look at is the distribution, if I see a lot of favorable with a few unfavorable (I don't count 3's) I read the unfavorable ones. If you read them carefully a lot you find packaging complaints and some just plain ol brand bashing.

Your best bet for looking at a Bosch 1617 could be a Lowes. You didn't the geographic area you are in so it is difficult to come up with suggestions.
Thanks John. Very informative as have been all of the comments left here. I live in Michigan. Just outside of Grand Rapids. There is a Lowes, a HD, a Menards and we are lucky enough to have Woodcraft store within 20 miles of me.

Right now I am gathering information. The above the table adjustment is quite important to me. I hate having to pay an extra 300. plus or minus for an auxilary lift.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions. I looked at both and my first thoughts were these seem like a bit of overkill but maybe not. I thought that the weight might be an issue but after looking at both maybe not.

As a sidelight I looked at your glue jib. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...kmatch-clamps/ I am working on making bookmatch album covers in wallnut and am interested in trying this myself. What are the rails make of? How large are the threaded rods?
Charlie
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=jschaben;471677]Hi Charlie - actually quite a few these days.

There is another Craftsman combo that I might consider if I decide to go the Craftsman route. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00927680000P

This one seems to be about the same as the one mentioned in the original post but with 2.5 hp.

Anyone have any experience with this one. I think this is the one that the store my wife works in has in stock.

Charlie
post #11 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM
John

[quote=ChipperOfWood;471855]
Quote:

There is another Craftsman combo that I might consider if I decide to go the Craftsman route. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00927680000P

This one seems to be about the same as the one mentioned in the original post but with 2.5 hp.

Anyone have any experience with this one. I think this is the one that the store my wife works in has in stock.

Charlie
Hi Charlie - Don't know much about that one. It should definately be stronger. I wonder about the weight. They list it at 15#. Not an issue table mounted, assuming it has above table adjustment, but pretty hefty for much hand held work. May want to slip over to your wifes workplace and take a hands on look. While you are at it, you could take a close look at the height adjustment system and see if there is anything that could be access through the baseplate. If so, it's just a matter of drilling the holes in the right place.

John

post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

[quote=jschaben;471884]
Quote:

Hi Charlie - Don't know much about that one. It should definately be stronger. I wonder about the weight. They list it at 15#. Not an issue table mounted, assuming it has above table adjustment, but pretty hefty for much hand held work. May want to slip over to your wifes workplace and take a hands on look. While you are at it, you could take a close look at the height adjustment system and see if there is anything that could be access through the baseplate. If so, it's just a matter of drilling the holes in the right place.
Thanks again John. I am going to her store probably Tuesday. That one is heavy. I'll see exactly what it is that they have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode