Planer Rollers Not Gripping - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

View MrSamNC's Photo Album My Photos
Planer Rollers Not Gripping

I have a DeWalt 734 planer that is less than a month old. I've run maybe 30 board feet through it. Now the rollers will not grip the wood pieces and feed it through--they just spin I place and leave black marks. If I use a push stick and push, very hard, I can force the piece through, but that's crazy. I've tried cleaning the rollers with denatured alcohol but didn't make a difference. The cut is smooth and even once the piece is fed through. I have cleaned everything and verified the rollers still turn and are linked correctly. The planer worked wonderfully for the first 15 board feet. Help! Should I try to return it for an exchange at Lowe's? Is this common for planers?

Thanks!

-Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Clean the rollers with a solvent.

OK... you did that, there should be an adjustment for roller pressure.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video

Last edited by mdntrdr; 01-08-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: dumas
post #3 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure you aren't taking too big a bite on the pass. Also you might consider putting some paste wax on the table. Sometimes the table isn't smooth enough for the wood to slide cleanly. Other than that, I got nuttin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSamNC View Post
I have a DeWalt 734 planer that is less than a month old. I've run maybe 30 board feet through it. Now the rollers will not grip the wood pieces and feed it through--they just spin I place and leave black marks. If I use a push stick and push, very hard, I can force the piece through, but that's crazy. I've tried cleaning the rollers with denatured alcohol but didn't make a difference. The cut is smooth and even once the piece is fed through. I have cleaned everything and verified the rollers still turn and are linked correctly. The planer worked wonderfully for the first 15 board feet. Help! Should I try to return it for an exchange at Lowe's? Is this common for planers?

Thanks!
I have some pieces which need me to push or pull to help the planer, but this is due to the wood being very hard, or very wide.

As another reply stated, light passes may help.

A variable to eliminate is dull blades. The blades should not be worn after only 15 boards, but if you turn the blade to get a fresh edge and then the piece run through without spinning, it was due to the blade not cutting.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Just curious if those planers have adjustable feed roller pressure?
post #6 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Just curious if those planers have adjustable feed roller pressure?
I have a DeWalt 735 and this does not have adjustable feed roller pressure, much to my chagrin.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
On mine I have adjustments on the feed rollers. Maybe look at your manual, if you have one.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #8 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
On mine I have adjustments on the feed rollers. Maybe look at your manual, if you have one.
Do you have the DW734?
post #9 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
No I have the delta 22-580.Im Not familiar with Dewalt

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #10 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSamNC View Post

Thanks!
if it were me i would just take it back and get another one, now if it does the same thing later than i would look for a fix, why try and fix it when it is so new?? and i wouldn't use any wax , wax isn't good for a finish just incase you dont sand it all off my 2 cents
post #11 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I have a delta planer and the down pressure is spring loaded. At the ends where the rollers turn there are square blocks with a spring in them. When the square blocks get dirty they stick in the up position and the rollers slip. I frequently have to clean the blocks to keep the feed rollers working.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM

View Burt's Photo Album My Photos
I have the DW734 and have not experienced any problems with it. My guess is the table needs waxed or to much of a bite.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM

View Purrmaster's Photo Album My Photos
I've got the DW734. Your rollers should *not* lose their grip so soon, if ever. Waxing the table can't hurt but I would think the table would need to be really rough for it to fight the rollers. One thing you can try is taking a leaf blower and blowing any sawdust and gunk out.

If that doesn't do it I'd exchange it or get DeWalt to fix it under warranty.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Mine did that when I bought it too. It still does if I don't clean the rollers with DNA on a regular basis. I have to do that WAY more then I did with my TP1300 from Ridgid. Same wood, but the rollers foul up more. Just red oak. I wonder if they cheapened the roller material.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
all good advice. possibility - remember that you can't send junk into the planer. likewood with any dirt, sand, shavings on it. we wire brush and vacuum all wood that looks dirty before going through the planer. hss blades are only meant for wood.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Talking

For those interested, I resolved this issue today by a complete tear-down and thorough cleaning of the planer. I took several photos of the process and posted them in a new thread as a How-To for taking this specific planer apart. Below is the link if you're interested. Thanks for all the suggestions--they all helped resolve this issue.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/h...16/#post431942
post #17 of 19 Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 PM

View TooPicky's Photo Album My Photos
So, it seems like some of the solution is to clean the rollers with alcohol. I'm having this problem, but just recently, it should be about time to clean them....But, how do you do it? I have the planer torn apart, and I still can't get access to the rollers. They don't turn by hand.......
post #18 of 19 Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 AM

View dealin's Photo Album My Photos
Dewalt 733 Planer skips

I have read about the rollers not gripping the board and skipping or not feeding, but I want to make sure that is the problem I have. The rollers feed the board thru then occasionally, it goes thunk and it is a hard thunk and keeps doing it until the board is thru the planer. Is this the skip everyone is talking about. It seems harsher than just a skip! It almost seems like it is the cutterhead slipping? New blades by the way. Any thoughts?
post #19 of 19 Old 09-16-2019, 02:53 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
This thread is 9 years old.
I would suggest that you get a Moderator to remove your post and start a new thread.
It would also be easier for you and others to find this thread in the future
Also, great title, easy to look up. Better than some that title their post "Need Help"

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode