Planer Recommendations - Page 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
View fishinfiend's Photo Album My Photos
I was thinking the same thing why not Grizzly? They look exactly the same as Shop Fox , Jet and Powermatic.

About dust collection I had that feeling about a sop vac but had to ask.

Planing frozen wood any recommendations for setup? Reason j am asking is because when sawing lumber you have to use a different blade than in summer.

Finally in a used machine what do you have to look for because I don't want to spend the money on a used planer and end up sticking a bunch of money in it just to get it so it works?
fishinfiend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 52 Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Portland Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 474
View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfiend View Post
I was thinking the same thing why not Grizzly? They look exactly the same as Shop Fox , Jet and Powermatic.
I have a Grizzly 5850Z ( http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-P...e-Motor/G5850Z). I have had it for about three (3) years. I purchased it used off Craigslist. It works great. It weighs about 950 lbs and is mounted on a heavy duty cart with locking casters. It has a 20" cutting capacity. A 5hp motor drives the blades and a 2hp motor feeds the boards through. I have had no problems with it since I did an overhaul on it, when I first purchased it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfiend View Post
About dust collection I had that feeling about a sop vac but had to ask.
Sorry, but a shop vac won't cut it with my planer...... I use a 1.5 hp Jet with a 5" flexible hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfiend View Post
Planing frozen wood any recommendations for setup? Reason j am asking is because when sawing lumber you have to use a different blade than in summer.
Interesting statement....I didn't know that....Wood must be dry and above freezing to plane it. Water and planers don't mix very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfiend View Post
Finally in a used machine what do you have to look for because I don't want to spend the money on a used planer and end up sticking a bunch of money in it just to get it so it works?
Here are the items that I had to replace/repair on my used Grizzly G5850z planer:

1. Knife blades - the knife sets that came with it were definitely in need of sharpening. A new set from Grizzly was about $100.

2. Dust hood - This was gone. A new one from Grizzly was about $125.

3. Knife adjustment bolt - The previous owner had over-torqued all of the bolts. They all had to be replaced. I was able to re-thread the holes with a tap, but the bolts were ruined. These cost about $50 and a six (6) month wait.......

4. Cleaning, greasing and adjustment - The planer runs great now!

I am selling this planer and replacing it with the spiral head model. I love the planer, but the knives have trouble with figured maple. I have to plane my figured maple rough cut boards on my friends 18" spiral head planer to get them smooth. The knives work great on straight grain cherry, oak, myrtlewood, etc. (Unfortunately, the next pile of rough cut lumber is 600 bdft of figured maple drying under my deck.)
ORBlackFZ1 is offline  
post #23 of 52 Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Wood-a-holic
 
wericha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 517
View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
Some folks are happy with grizzly, but every grizzly machine I've been around has been sub-standard. I don't shop brand "just because", I look for quality, serviceability, and longevity. I can't afford to dink with equipment when it goes down, so I look for machines I know I can get support on. My equipment is from Powermatic, Jet, Delta (now looking to dump these in the near future), and several others.

Just because grizzly looks like other machines doesn't mean it is, or is as good. I don't like the fit and finish of griz, I've never seen anything from griz hold up in even a moderate shop environment, and I don't think it is prudent to waste money on cheap equipment.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
wericha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 52 Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 251
View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
Planer question

I have been building furniture and cabinets for the past 35+ years and I get all of my wood rough cut.

The first thing that I learned is that "Wood Moves" continuously even after dried in a Kiln so, I bought a wide long bed jointer and a heavy duty planer.
Get a copy of "Understanding Wood" by R. Bruce Hoadley which explains in detail why you need both machines.

I have a 12" wide Powermatic planer with a 3hp motor and switched the cutter head with straight knives to a Shelix spiral cutter head (which I highly recommend). I also have a 8" wide long bed Poitras Jointer with solid carbide knives.

I installed a Oneida Air Systems V-System which collects all of the dust and wood chips.

Jack
jacko9 is offline  
post #25 of 52 Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
OnealWoodworking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,128
View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wericha View Post
Some folks are happy with grizzly, but every grizzly machine I've been around has been sub-standard. I don't shop brand "just because", I look for quality, serviceability, and longevity. I can't afford to dink with equipment when it goes down, so I look for machines I know I can get support on. My equipment is from Powermatic, Jet, Delta (now looking to dump these in the near future), and several others.

Just because grizzly looks like other machines doesn't mean it is, or is as good. I don't like the fit and finish of griz, I've never seen anything from griz hold up in even a moderate shop environment, and I don't think it is prudent to waste money on cheap equipment.
Are not all of the manufacturers you cited building there machines in Taiwan???
OnealWoodworking is offline  
post #26 of 52 Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 251
View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
Buy used

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking View Post
Are not all of the manufacturers you cited building there machines in Taiwan???
There are a lot of very good quality used American made planers for sale out there and they can be had for a very good price. The Tn. manufactured planers from Powermatic are rock solid and require very little rebuilding to get them in top shape.

Jack
jacko9 is offline  
post #27 of 52 Old 09-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Wood-a-holic
 
wericha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 517
View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking View Post
Are not all of the manufacturers you cited building there machines in Taiwan???
Yes............your point?

Simply because they are built in the same country or perhaps even in the same facility, it is completely misguided to assume they are of the same quality. Those manufacturers build to company standards of fit, finish, and quality. It only takes a quick look see a huge difference between the different brands. Admittedly Jet/Powermatic are not the same today as they were when produced domestically, but they remain head and shoulders above anything grizzly cranks out.

In my experience, lower end tools may be attractive from a price point but can often lead to frustration due to the lack of precision. In the past I've bought what I thought was a decent tool only to find out later how much more I could do with a better tool. The tool does not make the craftsman, but a good tool makes the craft so much more enjoyable.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
wericha is offline  
post #28 of 52 Old 09-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
OnealWoodworking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,128
View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post
There are a lot of very good quality used American made planers for sale out there and they can be had for a very good price. The Tn. manufactured planers from Powermatic are rock solid and require very little rebuilding to get them in top shape.

Jack
You are preaching to the choir here. I am NOT a big fan of the import tools for the most part.

Buy once - Cry once and all of that.

Unless the 'import' tools came from someplace like Germany or Italy or Japan...

Import tools DO have their place though and not all are 100% pure junk. They will in general (in my experience) tend to require a bit more work when it comes to maintenance and upkeep.
OnealWoodworking is offline  
post #29 of 52 Old 09-20-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
View fishinfiend's Photo Album My Photos
Ant thoughts on Steel City planers?
fishinfiend is offline  
post #30 of 52 Old 09-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Sawdust Creator
 
ryan50hrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,047
View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Steel city has some great tools in my opinion.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
ryan50hrl is offline  
post #31 of 52 Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 PM
EdS
Senior Member
 
EdS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 213
View EdS's Photo Album My Photos
I have been a woodworker for 40 years. I wish I had back all the money I have spent over the years on cheap tools. At the time, it was a necessity I thought, to buy a bench top jointer for example, or a cheap miter saw, not to mention the 1.5 HP Delta TS I had for years. Don't get me wrong, I made these tools work for me and I was proud of my results in most cases, but I would have saved money if I had simply bought the quality tools the first time around rather than replacing the tool 5 or 10 years down the road. I would also have been much more efficient in the shop and gained more experience doing things right the first time, rather than learning how to fix my mistakes.

I fully understand the need to pinch a penny when you need to, believe me. But take it from an older guy, buy quality the first time and save for the next tool. It will serve you well over the long run.
EdS is offline  
post #32 of 52 Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Sawdust Creator
 
ryan50hrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,047
View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
There's a difference between cheap tools (harbor freight) and quality imported tools (steel city). Don't let the import bashers keep you from buying a good quality new tool.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
ryan50hrl is offline  
post #33 of 52 Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
View fishinfiend's Photo Album My Photos
Does the Jet 15 in. planer run a Byrd head? How many cutters foes it use? Is it the same head as a Powermatic? If not, how does the two compare and how many cutters does the Powermatic run because I see any were from 74 to 98 cutters.
fishinfiend is offline  
post #34 of 52 Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 AM
Village Idiot
 
epicfail48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 4,923
View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Im going to chime in another thing here based on the last few posts. Personally, id recomend against buying a tool based on brand. Good brands make crap tools, crap brands make good tools. Instead of thinking "grizzly tools all suck", why not think "this particular grizzly tool is a bad deal, but this other one is great". Import or no, base tools on their own merits. Check around, find reviews, and buy based on that

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
epicfail48 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
ORBlackFZ1 (09-21-2014)
post #35 of 52 Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Wood-a-holic
 
wericha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 517
View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfiend View Post
Does the Jet 15 in. planer run a Byrd head? How many cutters foes it use? Is it the same head as a Powermatic? If not, how does the two compare and how many cutters does the Powermatic run because I see any were from 74 to 98 cutters.
Yes, the Jet does run the Byrd head. I have the Powermatic 15HH and can't say enough good about it. The true cutter count for both machines is 74, and they are 4 sided. They are also self-indexing so there is no need for adjustments when rotating cutters. Replacement cutters are about $3.50 each, but under normal use each cutter will last quite a long time.

The advantages of a helical head are numerous. They are quieter, the cut is much finer, since they cut in a shearing fashion they do well with figured woods, and the carbide cutters are long lasting.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
wericha is offline  
post #36 of 52 Old 09-21-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
View fishinfiend's Photo Album My Photos
Any thoughts on the Laguna 16 in. planer it looks like it is similar priced as the Jet but uses their own spiral head design and a 5 hp motor.
fishinfiend is offline  
post #37 of 52 Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Wood-a-holic
 
wericha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 517
View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
Don't know anything about Laguna except I like the looks of their cyclone dust collectors.

I'd be concerned about the design of the cutter head. The Byrd design is well proven and replacement cutters are readily available in both OEM and aftermarket. Does the Laguna use standard sized cutters? Whenever I look at equipment I try to consider the availability of replacement parts long term. One of the reasons I dislike grizzly is they don't support their own equipment. Try to find parts for a 10 year old grizzly and you're most likely out of luck. If the parts for a Laguna are interchangeable it might be a consideration, but consider that carefully.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
wericha is offline  
post #38 of 52 Old 09-21-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
View fishinfiend's Photo Album My Photos
I have another question, what do you guys all run for planers? Also, how do you like them?
fishinfiend is offline  
post #39 of 52 Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Sawdust Creator
 
ryan50hrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,047
View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I think alot of guys have answered that already...you seem to be jumping around alot. Rather than buy what works for us.....tell us what you need to plane, how often, your budget, and we'll make some suggestions that work for those needs. What works for one guy (cheap harbor freight planer), isn't going to work for another (production shop).

The tools don't make the craftsman....
ryan50hrl is offline  
post #40 of 52 Old 09-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wericha

Yes............your point?

Simply because they are built in the same country or perhaps even in the same facility, it is completely misguided to assume they are of the same quality. Those manufacturers build to company standards of fit, finish, and quality. It only takes a quick look see a huge difference between the different brands. Admittedly Jet/Powermatic are not the same today as they were when produced domestically, but they remain head and shoulders above anything grizzly cranks out.

In my experience, lower end tools may be attractive from a price point but can often lead to frustration due to the lack of precision. In the past I've bought what I thought was a decent tool only to find out later how much more I could do with a better tool. The tool does not make the craftsman, but a good tool makes the craft so much more enjoyable.
I agree. There is a joy in using good tools.

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planer Recommendations? Roundup85 General Woodworking Discussion 10 06-15-2012 08:27 AM
Good Planer/Jointer combo recommendations? NickSaw76 General Woodworking Discussion 8 11-23-2011 12:03 AM
12" planer recommendations organick Power Tools & Machinery 4 03-03-2011 03:33 PM
Recommendations for saw to cut....... yocalif Trim Carpentry & Built-Ins 17 12-08-2010 09:48 PM
Recommendations woodman42 Power Tools & Machinery 5 10-13-2007 11:27 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome