Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Power Tools & Machinery (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   Planer putting stripe on wood (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/planer-putting-stripe-wood-51469/)

Midtone 05-08-2013 03:14 PM

Planer putting stripe on wood
 
I have a Dewalt 12 1/2" planer. It was working fine and then the other day it started putting this stripe down the length of the wood. the piece is still planed smooth, but there is a lighter colored 1/16" or so stripe down the length. Is there a chip in the blades? I can not perceive it when I look at them. Whats going on?

MrUnix 05-08-2013 04:32 PM

Is the stripe raised or just discolored? If raised, then you have a chipped blade. If discolored, then you might have hit something that left some type of residue on the blade that is being transfered to the wood. You can try wiping the blades down with some type of solvent (acetone, mineral spirits, etc..) and see if that helps. If it is a raised stripe, then you most likely have a chip in the same location on your blades.. to fix, you can try to offset one of the blades slightly to either side. Hard to determine exactly without actually seeing the problem.

Cheers,
Brad

Steve Neul 05-08-2013 07:26 PM

Sometimes you can get a chip of wood in the planer that will just rub a streak in the wood.

BZawat 05-08-2013 08:39 PM

516 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul
Sometimes you can get a chip of wood in the planer that will just rub a streak in the wood.

That's what I was thinking Steve. Or perhaps stuck to one of the feed rollers?

Brian

fire65 05-08-2013 09:22 PM

All of the above is good advice. I will say if you do not run a dust collector on a planer you can get chips stuck in it that will affect the finish.
I always blow it out with air after ever few passes.

Fred Hargis 05-09-2013 07:21 AM

Nicks in the blade can sometimes be very hard to see. Much better way is to run something that's not your finger across the sharp edge, feeling for a snag.

Loganville Tiger 05-09-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midtone (Post 475383)
I have a Dewalt 12 1/2" planer. It was working fine and then the other day it started putting this stripe down the length of the wood. the piece is still planed smooth, but there is a lighter colored 1/16" or so stripe down the length. Is there a chip in the blades? I can not perceive it when I look at them. Whats going on?

Had the same thing on my Delta - I believe it is/was residue on the blade as there isn't a grove in the wood. Chaged blades and it has seemed to have cleared up - but haven't used it much since the change.

LT

mdntrdr 05-09-2013 04:55 PM

A very hard knot can partially dull the knives in one area. :smile:

woodnthings 05-09-2013 05:16 PM

hmmmm
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdntrdr (Post 475803)
A very hard knot can partially dull the knives in one area. :smile:

I've knot had that happen and it's probably knot possible....just sayin'.... I'm just knot certain, however. :blink:

Maybe it was a stone or nail? Loosen one knife and slide it over 1/8" and see it that helps.

mdntrdr 05-09-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 475806)
Loosen one knife and slide it over 1/8" and see it that helps.


I've seen it happen 1" wide... Slide that over. :happybday:

cabinetman 05-09-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BZawat (Post 475501)
Or perhaps stuck to one of the feed rollers?

Brian

+1. :yes: Could be some sap, or debris on the infeed or outfeed tables. If on a knife, it's usually cleared of pretty quick.





.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome