Planer Knife Bevel - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By gmercer_48083
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
Planer Knife Bevel

OK...Next question...How much difference does the bevel angle make on planer knives? I'm thinking about 45 degrees as a standard go to for general planing. I wonder if you would need more or less for harder material. Planing with my trusty 1995 Dewalt 733.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
35 to 45 degrees is a pretty standard angle for a planer. The smaller the angle the more likely the edge will bend over when surfacing hard wood. I wouldn't go any more than 45 degrees, the bottom edge could rub the wood instead of cutting.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...I hadn't thought of the clearance. I guess it depends a lot on the diameter of the cutter head, too. I think the Dewalt knives come in the neighborhood of 38 degrees. I am in the process of designing a jig to hold the knives for sharpening. I guess I better rethink my geometry...You know, do the math dummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Homestd, I sharpen mine at 36 Degrees. My jig is made from 3/4 thick mdf slightly longer than the knives so it can be clamped to my bench. I cut 11 degree parallel slots about 1/2" deep down the length. Both knives are inserted into the slots and I hone them with a diamond stone from end to end. This works well for me. The slots were ripped with a flat bottom rip blade.

I originally made my jig for sharpening my jointer knives, and it worked so well I made another for my Dewalt 733 planer knives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190720_103204.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	377171  

woodnthings and homestd like this.

Gary

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 07-20-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 11:56 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
My favorite source for new ones ....

I've bought from here several times. Their selection is great and easy to find the right ones by size:
https://www.holbren.com/high-speed-s...er-knife-sets/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 12:05 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
You can buy commercial planer blade sharpeners that look like the one @gmercer_48083 showed in his photo, but with brass-lined slots and set screws to hold the blades in place. Do a web search for "Deulen sharpener".
post #7 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 12:27 PM

I find that with the slots cut to a snug fit, I tap my knives to the bottom of the slots with a rubber mallet that they don't move as I hone them. Using a digital angle finder... they come out at 36 degrees.

I think if the slots were a little sloppy, the knives would still have enough friction to stay in place. The jig is clamped to the bench with the knife edges facing up and when using the hone, it adds a splaying effect...which should add more friction. I was at a wood show a few years back and was told not to sharpen beyond 600 grit. I don't understand why. I would think the sharper the better.

Gary
post #8 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

I bookmarked this site. Thanks
post #9 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I have checked out the "Deulen sharpener". Regretfully, it's out of my budget range. However, the jig I am making is similar, just not adjustable. By the way, would anyone know where I could get sandpaper of the required grits that is in sheets longer than 12"?
post #10 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input gmercer...here is a pic of the my first iteration. I cut the slots to leave a slim 1/64" or so above the block so my stone could ride on the block and blade. I was totally bummed at the results and hence this series of posts. I currently have three sets of knives and must resharpen as my budget needs to go for better ripping and crosscut blades. However, I have come up with a 15" x 26" piece of FLAT marble and I will be using this until I can get 3 grades of diamond plates.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0578.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	377173  

post #11 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Homestd, On my jig, 2 knives are put into the slots with the knives protruding above the board. I then use a harbor freight (4 sided) diamond, honing two knives at a time down the length of the knives...While the jig is fastened to the bench.

Gary
post #12 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 12:05 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Using only one knife ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Homestd, On my jig, 2 knives are put into the slots with the knives protruding above the board. I then use a harbor freight (4 sided) diamond, honing two knives at a time down the length of the knives...While the jig is fastened to the bench.

If you try to sharpen one knife at a time you must account for the bevel angle being very precise. I do it that way but I stack up a support block under my stone, so I get the same angle each time. The stone needs to be supported on some sort of material that allows it to slide easily. We are talking about having the blades bevel side up here.

On the other hand, you can invert the whole jig, but now we are back to long lengths of sandpaper stuck to a flat plate.

Using a narrow stone or diamond plate, bevel facing up, means taking care not to work the same area too much. Use long even strokes and be very careful not to cut yourself!

Some good info here:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/...ing-jig-14481/

My own jig here;
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/h...des-how-10066/
homestd likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 PM

Woodnthings, I posted my solution as a way of honing that works good for me. Yes, care has to be taken to remove the same amount of material from end to end. Yes the jig can be inverted and used with sandpaper on a flat surface. But after using it the way I described is quite fast. Deep nicks can be removed using a single cut mill file using a draw file method also (at 90 degrees), then finishing with a hone also.

Gary
post #14 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 02:26 PM

View JoeFromSD's Photo Album My Photos
Gmercer, could you post a pic of your jig? It sounds like the perfect way to sharpen planer knives!

EDIT: Except whenever I send my knives in for sharpening it's because of all the nicks.

Last edited by JoeFromSD; 07-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromSD View Post
Gmercer, could you post a pic of your jig? It sounds like the perfect way to sharpen planer knives!

EDIT: Except whenever I send my knives in for sharpening it's because of all the nicks.
JoeFromSD, Post #3

Gary
post #16 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 PM

post #17 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 PM

View JoeFromSD's Photo Album My Photos
post #18 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you woodnthings, Daryl has the exact ticket that I need to duplicate and his instructions are perfectly clear. I want to do the upside down hone. Because I set my blades meticulously, I have been worried that I wouldn't be able to keep them absolutely straight and even when honing.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-23-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you again woodnthings and Daryl (wherever you are) and whoever invented digital protractors. Here's my jig...It's exactly what I needed. Now on to the marble and sandpaper!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0601.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	377271  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode