• 2 Post By saltwaterbound
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 1 Post By SEMIJim
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 4 Post By John Smith_inFL

post #1 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
Pin Nailer

I do apologize if this subject has been brought up one more time . Right now I am getting over the pneumonia and since I am down for a bit I decided to see about some tools I dont have especially a pin nailer. I have a brad nailer but no pin nailer and I am starting to want some of my projects with plywood to look a little better when I trim the open edges. And some of my future projects involving trim to look nice.

I see alot of pin nailers online and first off I am on a fix income so maybe something in the $20-$40 dollar range and uses 1/2-1 inch pins. So does anyone uses a pin nailer in that price range?

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 03:45 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Watch CPO an online tool outfit they will have remans for a good price, I got an 1 3/8 Porter Cable for $49 I think it was, their reman tools come with new tool warranty and all I have gotten looked like they were brand new

If you can I would hold out for at least an 1 3/8 nailer, if you work with 4/4 wood it gives better strength to the joint, and those little pins are surprisingly tough, I have messed up and did it wrong and the pins will break before they will pull out, I love the little gun, don't even need to fill the hole it is so small, great for crown moulding
mjadams61 likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Catpower that is the first site I look :). I expanded my search and found this one at Home Depot and with the extra 2 yr warranty upgrade it is well within my budget. Plus my Home Depot is only about a mile from me :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuMax-Pn...P123/202101757

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 04:00 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
Thanks Catpower that is the first site I look :). I expanded my search and found this one at Home Depot and with the extra 2 yr warranty upgrade it is well within my budget. Plus my Home Depot is only about a mile from me :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuMax-Pn...P123/202101757

Looks like a good deal if that will work for you, you are only about 25 miles from me, we live in Frognot LOL
mjadams61 likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #5 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I am still using a 23 gauge pin nailer that we bought at Harbor Freight. I looked at Harbor Freight's website, and the one they show is much more expensive than what we paid for ours.

You need an air compressor to use it. I always put four drops of tool oil down the air hose connector at the end of the pin nailer before using it.

The Harbor Freight pin nailer continues to work well over the years, but gets light use.

Annoyances:
* The pin nail size setting is labelled in mm, like "6" "12", "18", "25", but pin nails are sold in fractions of an inch.
* I has been a few years, but I am pretty sure I had to supply the air hose connector and teflon tape.

Advice:
I bought several different lengths of pin nails when I got the nail gun. I am glad I did.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Looks like a good deal if that will work for you, you are only about 25 miles from me, we live in Frognot LOL

LOL I did not know that place was there even though I use to cut down thru there on my way home from Denison :)
Catpower likes this.

Marlin
post #7 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 02:04 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Marlin,
A huge secret about pin nailers.

DO NOT BUY THE PIN NAILS FROM HARBOR FREIGHT.

Their pin nails are soft and tend to follow the grain. I was using the HF 1 inch pin nails in red oak. I had one turn a full 180 and come back out next to where it went in.

I use Porter Cable brand pin nails exclusively and I'm delighted with their performance.

Also while you're at HD, go to their bins of pneumatic couplers and buy a "Universal" coupler for the end of your hose. Put a few drops of AIR TOOL oil in the back end before you put it on the hose. The oil will help to keep from leaking for years. The Universal style of coupler will connect to Automotive or Industrial nipple tools. The Universal couplers seem to be more durable than either.

Also with the air tool oil in the gun, put the 4 or 5 drops of AIR TOOL oil in before connecting the air hose and after using a strip of pins. The oil tends to keep nail guns from jamming. HD carries Ingersoll Rand brand. Harbor Freight caries Sta-Lube brand which is about $1 less. But it is made / bottled in America.
mjadams61 likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #8 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
Marlin,

Their pin nails are soft and tend to follow the grain. I was using the HF 1 inch pin nails in red oak. I had one turn a full 180 and come back out next to where it went in.

I use Porter Cable brand pin nails exclusively and I'm delighted with their performance.

Also while you're at HD, go to their bins of pneumatic couplers and buy a "Universal" coupler for the end of your hose. Put a few drops of AIR TOOL oil in the back end before you put it on the hose. The oil will help to keep from leaking for years. The Universal style of coupler will connect to Automotive or Industrial nipple tools. The Universal couplers seem to be more durable than either.

Also with the air tool oil in the gun, put the 4 or 5 drops of AIR TOOL oil in before connecting the air hose and after using a strip of pins. The oil tends to keep nail guns from jamming. HD carries Ingersoll Rand brand. Harbor Freight caries Sta-Lube brand which is about $1 less. But it is made / bottled in America.
Yea I learned that lesson early when I bought their 3 1/2 framing nailer several years ago when I did the remodel on my house. Bought the nailer and a box of nails and man every strip I had a dozen jams. I went to home depot and bought a box of bosticks to see if that was a problem and only had a few jams thru that whole box. So no more nails or brads from home depot unless it is driven by a hammer :)

Marlin
post #9 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

well I ended up buying this pin nailer plus some pen nails from Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuMax-Pn...3897771withTHD
Tony B, Kerrys and John Smith_inFL like this.

Marlin
post #10 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
Yea I learned that lesson early when I bought their 3 1/2 framing nailer several years ago when I did the remodel on my house. Bought the nailer and a box of nails and man every strip I had a dozen jams. I went to home depot and bought a box of bosticks to see if that was a problem and only had a few jams thru that whole box. So no more nails or brads from home depot unless it is driven by a hammer :)

OOPS LOL from Harbor Freight not Home Depot :)

Marlin
post #11 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 10:56 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Several years ago I picked up a pin nailer/18ga nailer combo at Home Depot for 50 bucks.

I figured what have I got to loose? 5 years later never an issue with either one.

I think 1/2 the air tools I've bought from HF have ended up in the trash they can just fell apart. Don't do that anymore.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 07:25 PM

View saltwaterbound's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using pin nailers daily for about fifteen years. We use them all day, 5 days a week, doing cabinet trim work. I have tried most every reputable name brand, and my two favorite are Grex and Bostitch. You will be hard pressed to find a dependable tool in that price range. My advice has always been, invest in good tools. Well worth saving for, one of my favorite nail guns.
mjadams61 and SEMIJim like this.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 12:28 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
Several years ago I picked up a pin nailer/18ga nailer combo at Home Depot for 50 bucks.
When I first read that I thought, "How the eff did they do that? 18/23 combination." Then I realized that it was two guns. LOL LOL LOL
mjadams61 likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #14 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 AM

View SEMIJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterbound View Post
My advice has always been, invest in good tools.
That's always been my position, too. Invest in good tools, take care of them, and, except for the battery-powered ones, they'll probably outlive you.

Lucked into a screamin' deal on a Hitachi 23 ga. pin nailer at Lowe's a few months back. Nearly half off. I guess they must've been clearing out stuff that still had the "Hitachi" name on it. Didn't need it, just then, but I knew I would somewhere down the road and it was a deal too good to pass up.

Quote:

Their pin nails are soft and tend to follow the grain.
Aren't pins inclined to follow the grain, anyway?
mjadams61 likes this.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Last edited by SEMIJim; 12-12-2019 at 01:15 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 09:36 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Marlin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
[...]Aren't pins inclined to follow the grain, anyway?
For the record, I am still using the Harbor Freight pin nailer and their pin nails, too. I use the Harbor Freight tool oil in it as well. Admittedly, we have been using it mostly in cheap softwoods and cheap plywood, but occasionally in hardwoods, too.

I use it to hold pieces together to clamp them for glueing. Spouse uses it without glue for crafting projects.

We used it to pin 5/8 inch and 3/4 inch pin nails in my spouse's wood "crafting" project. The pin nails hold flat scroll sawn 1/4 inch plywood pieces to a slatted wood door, no glue. I estimate that we fired about 50 pin nails yesterday with zero problems. I also put 4 drops of tool oil in the nailer before I start using it.

Based on @NoThankyou's wisdom and experience alone, I wish we had bought the Porter-Cable pin nails, but the ones from Harbor Freight seem to be working out okay for us.

P.S. My biggest problem with the nail gun is noticing when it needs a refill. More than once, I have been happily firing blanks, while the last nail is the only thing holding everything together.
mjadams61 likes this.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 12-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 11:05 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Pneumatic Nailer Caution

Quote:

Pneumatic Nailer Fasteners tend to follow the grain.
very good advice !! keep your hands and fingers away from any point
being fastened where the brad or nail could exit - into your flesh -

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 12-12-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode