Picked up a nice motor a while back, still haven't figured out what to do with it. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-28-2019, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
600 Grit

View Andrew LB's Photo Album My Photos
Picked up a nice motor a while back, still haven't figured out what to do with it.

A while back a friend of mine was throwing out a broken Bluffton NEMA 56 frame 1.5hp motor and I decided for the heck of it to open it up and see what if anything could be done about it. I ended up replacing the stationary switch and the ball bearings and it fired up good as new. I've been trying to come up with a good use for it. It can run on either 115v or 230v which is nice and it has two speed settings depending on how you wire it. Either 3450 or 2875. Speed isn't that big of an issue since i've got an assortment of pulleys to easily slow things down. Right now i'm leaning towards replacing the garbage motor in my Harbor Freight 10x18 wood lathe though it might be 'a bit' overkill. There will be room for it though since in the process of building a lathe stand and it would be easy to mound this below where the stock motor sits.

Another idea would be to get a throw-away furnace blower wheel and housing from a buddy who is an HVAC tech, mounting it all in a box with furnace filters to reduce the dust in my garage/workshop.

Anyways... what would you guys do with a space motor like this? Here are a couple pics of it when i was running it for a few hours to see if it was going to have any heat problems. It barely even got warm.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	783.8 KB
ID:	378217  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	798.4 KB
ID:	378219  

Last edited by Andrew LB; 08-28-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-28-2019, 07:54 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would do with that motor what I have done with other motors and many other things for which I have no immediate use.

I put it on the back of a shelf in a base cabinet and let it gather dust. The day may come when I use it or that day may never come. After a few years I may even forget about it and get a surprise when I happen to spy it sometime.

George
post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Id tell you what id do with it, but then id have to decide what to do with the 3 3hp 3 phase motors i have sitting in my living room...

Meant to get a VFD and put one on my belt grinder ages ago but never got around to it. As fas as what you can do with yours, depends on what you need. Add a jack shaft and a table and you could have a nice 12-14" disc sander. Belt grinder is always nice to have around the shop. With 1.5hp, you could get really fancy and make yourself a wood frame bandsaw. Swap it in the lathe, more power isnt really a bad thing to have. Could do whay John Heiz is doing and build yourself a table saw

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2019, 08:55 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What machine don't you have?

At 1.5 HP that's a lot of motor for a drill press, a small wood lathe, even a 6 X 48 belt sander. It would be perfect for a table saw, if you can find one cheap that needs a motor. It's too much motor for a blower in my opinion. An air compressor would be another good choice. I built my own using a 1 HP motor, a small storage tank and a belt drive air pump. Watch out for the speed on an air pump, because some machines need to be driven at slower speeds. The table saw is a high speed application, so that's why I suggested it. A drum sander or a platten sander may be a good choice:
https://www.google.com/search?q=flat...w=1920&bih=944

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-28-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 02:53 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I bought an old nineteen thirty's metal lathe from an estate sale the other day (Twenty dollars!) and as I was cleaning it up I noticed that it didn't have the original motor, I realized that when I cleaned it off and saw that it said "Washing Machine" on it.

Motors certainly come in handy and I generally see no point it getting rid of a good one. You'll find a good use eventually. Build a lathe maybe? Turning is always fun

-T
post #6 of 7 Old 08-31-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
600 Grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I would do with that motor what I have done with other motors and many other things for which I have no immediate use.

I put it on the back of a shelf in a base cabinet and let it gather dust. The day may come when I use it or that day may never come. After a few years I may even forget about it and get a surprise when I happen to spy it sometime.

George

Thats pretty much what it's been doing. It's not alone though at least. It's got an old 1/3hp motor from the 50's made by some company in Long Beach, CA to keep it company. I'm sure the old timer has plenty of stories.

Quote:
At 1.5 HP that's a lot of motor for a drill press, a small wood lathe, even a 6 X 48 belt sander. It would be perfect for a table saw, if you can find one cheap that needs a motor. It's too much motor for a blower in my opinion. An air compressor would be another good choice. I built my own using a 1 HP motor, a small storage tank and a belt drive air pump. Watch out for the speed on an air pump, because some machines need to be driven at slower speeds. The table saw is a high speed application, so that's why I suggested it. A drum sander or a platten sander may be a good choice:

I'm fairly certain the motor was used for a pool pump judging by the shaft being threaded and it not having a keyway. It's keyed now though. I've considered trashing the motor/pump on my Craftsman 26 gallon compressor every time i've tried to use my air sander. I'll probably hold off on that project till the motor eventually craps out. whatever application I end up using it for, i'll definitely gear it down substantially. Here is a great tool for figuring all that out. https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

post #7 of 7 Old 08-31-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
600 Grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Id tell you what id do with it, but then id have to decide what to do with the 3 3hp 3 phase motors i have sitting in my living room...

Meant to get a VFD and put one on my belt grinder ages ago but never got around to it. As fas as what you can do with yours, depends on what you need. Add a jack shaft and a table and you could have a nice 12-14" disc sander. Belt grinder is always nice to have around the shop. With 1.5hp, you could get really fancy and make yourself a wood frame bandsaw. Swap it in the lathe, more power isnt really a bad thing to have. Could do whay John Heiz is doing and build yourself a table saw

I'm in the process of assembling a stand for my lathe based on the 'Ultimate Lathe Stand' I found over on Popular Woodworking and am building a disc sander attachment for my lathe as well out of some of the extra baltic birch plywood from the project.

I think whats best is i keep my eye open for an old table saw that needs a motor that i can restore. My lack of a table saw really restricts the projects I can do. For making accurate cuts in plywood, I put together a surprisingly good track system for my Makita Hypoid saw. That saw doesn't show any sign of strain even when cutting double thick 3/4" thick baltic birch plywood. I've got a Diablo Ultra Finish 60 tooth blade that i use for most of the time. The stock blade was garbage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode