Phone app vs Wixey digital angle gauge question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

View Bryank930's Photo Album My Photos
Phone app vs Wixey digital angle gauge question

Has anyone compared the accuracy of their phone's "angle gauge" vs the wixey or comparable angle block?

I'm trying to see if it's worth having another piece of equipment laying around to potentially lose or if using a device that's pretty much always in my pocket will work just as well.

I haven't done any formal testing yet, but the level app (smart tools on android) I use matches any torpedo level I own spot on when hanging pictures haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
I didn't compare the accuracy of the Wixey to my phone, but the mounting ease made it a no brainer. My phone has no magnets to hold it against the surface to be measured and it's not totally flat on any surface, so it's a PITA to hold in place while adjusting the blade angle etc.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2016, 12:04 PM

View Pop Pop's Photo Album My Photos
I just checked my Wixey against my iPhone 6 Plus with the Stanley Level App. they do match. However, GuitarPhotographer has a very valid point. I wouldn't want to give up my Wixey and use the phone. The Otter Box has some give and you can't zero the phone like you can the Wixey. If your saw is not level you have the issue of adding or subtracting how far off the table is to the blade to set your angle. Just thinking about that hurts my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-03-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered a wixey knock-off from Amazon that has good reviews, uses a AA battery, etc.

I'll do a comparison when it comes in. I do have the ability do zero my phone and without the case, it has a nice flat edge (LG G3) to rest on the blade.

I'll check back when I get back when I'm able to compare the two.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2016, 06:30 AM

View Danny870's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryank930 View Post
I just ordered a wixey knock-off from Amazon that has good reviews, uses a AA battery, etc.

I'll do a comparison when it comes in. I do have the ability do zero my phone and without the case, it has a nice flat edge (LG G3) to rest on the blade.

I'll check back when I get back when I'm able to compare the two.
Do you mind posting the brand name and model number (or a link) on
this Wixey knock off unit? I need to invest in one of those and would also like a digital planer height measurement unit, and possibly get a digital fence reader for my dedicated dado saw. If there are cheaper units than Wixey that still work accurately, I would probably order some today.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2016, 07:42 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Amazon has a bunch

Amazon as them from $26.00 to $60.00 with REVIEWS:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tsal+angle+box

I use this one from www.ptreeusa:

Digital Bevel Box

Take the guesswork out of setting up those critical bevel cuts on your table saw, jointer, bandsaw or drill press table. Just set the unit on a flat reference surface, press the ZERO button to calibrate the display then attach it to the saw blade, fence, etc. and precisely adjust to the desired angle. The Angle Cube offering 0.2 accuracy with a resolution of 0.05 at a range of 90. The large LCD screen makes it easy to read while strong magnets hold the unit to any steel or cast iron surface. Spare battery included, measures 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" x 1 3/8".

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 10 Old 06-04-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

I ordered the Capri Tools 20005 from Amazon for $24.99. I should get it tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKV1FWM..._UgTuxbVE2ZWZ5
post #8 of 10 Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

So I got a chance yesterday to compare my new digital angle gauge to my phone...

Not only was the new gauge a lot easier to use, but it appears to be more accurate. When I zeroed both on the table top of my saw, then measured the blade (set to what I thought was 90 degrees), the digital gauge showed 87.6 while my phone showed 89.9. I checked a few time just to be sure, and also checked my miter saw to verify. The results repeated themselves.

So after re-setting the 0 and 45 stops on my table saw based on the gauge's reading, I was surprised to find that it seemed to cut better and quieter.

I still have to double check a cut piece with a square to see if it's actually cutting at 90 degrees though.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-06-2016, 02:32 PM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Not only was the new gauge a lot easier to use, but it appears to be more accurate. When I zeroed both on the table top of my saw, then measured the blade (set to what I thought was 90 degrees), the digital gauge showed 87.6 while my phone showed 89.9.
I'm confused- why does your gauge appear more accurate?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-06-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I checked it on my miter saw (which I know is dead on 90), and my phone showed 87.7 while the gauge went back and forth between 90 and 89.9.

That's how I determined that it's more accurate than my phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode