Panel Saw Blade - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

View LuckyLindy's Photo Album My Photos
Panel Saw Blade

Can someone recommend a supplier for an 8" panel saw blade specifically for cutting chip-free smooth cuts in plywood?
Bladeless in Boise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 09:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Panel saw?

What type of panel saw? A tablesaw, a circular saw? a vertical panel saw?

The 8" size is a "non-standard" size. It's a very old tablesaw size. There are 8 1/4" circular blades. I own one.

https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-08...79087333&psc=1

A blade with 60 teeth or more will cut panels and sheet goods with no tear out.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-05-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 09:30 PM
where's my table saw?

Panel saw?

edit

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-05-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 08:52 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I had a vertical panel saw for 25 years and only used one blade.
I cut mostly MDO sign panels on it and a lot of aluminum sheet panels.
a very handy machine. if it is attached to the wall, it takes up very little space.

you can find 8" blades on E-Bay, Amazon and other online sellers. just google it.
you may find just what you are looking for - probably mail order only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	378521  

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 09-06-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

View LuckyLindy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
What type of panel saw? A tablesaw, a circular saw? a vertical panel saw?

The 8" size is a "non-standard" size. It's a very old tablesaw size. There are 8 1/4" circular blades. I own one.

https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-08...79087333&psc=1

A blade with 60 teeth or more will cut panels and sheet goods with no tear out.
Sorry I didn't make my question more clear. I have a vertical panel saw like one would see in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It carries a SkillSaw HD77 worm-drive saw with an 8" blade. I use the saw to cut both regular and Baltic Birch plywood and have had tearout issues with the general-purpose Freud blade I installed earlier; admittedly not the correct blade for the use. I've looked on line for a blade specifically dedicated to plywood and can't seem to find anything. Most of the 8" blades listed are for cutting plastics and ferrous/non-ferrous metals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 10:27 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
This one should work...
https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-08...s%2C202&sr=8-4

I found a number of different brands and configurations with a quick search for 8 inch saw blades on amazon.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
You guys are going to hate me because I don't have all the answers.

At the first NASCAR race at the Fontana, California track, Lowes had a tent display outside the main gate. One of the exhibitors in the tent gave me a sample saw blade for my Skill Saw. I have never found a better cutting blade. The teeth are hollow ground. I've not found anyone that sells a similar blade. Unfortunately the manufacturer's name has worn off the blade.

I spent about an hour on the phone with Lowes (being transferred from department to department) trying to find the manufacturer's name. I even talked to the people in marketing that set these kind of events up to no avail.

If anyone can find the name of the manufacturer of the blade, please let all of us know.

There are two blades that will give you good, chip free cuts. The first is an ATB-Hi. That is Alternating Top Bevel and a high angle. If you don't mind a bit of extra work, a Triple Chip Grind will give you a good cut BUT you will have to use a sanding block and 220 grit to remove the Fuzz. Usually you can get the fuzz off with one or two passes holding the sanding block at about 15 or more.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #8 of 10 Old 09-07-2019, 09:46 AM
where's my table saw?

Are you sure about it being 8"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLindy View Post
Sorry I didn't make my question more clear. I have a vertical panel saw like one would see in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It carries a SkillSaw HD77 worm-drive saw with an 8" blade. I use the saw to cut both regular and Baltic Birch plywood and have had tearout issues with the general-purpose Freud blade I installed earlier; admittedly not the correct blade for the use. I've looked on line for a blade specifically dedicated to plywood and can't seem to find anything. Most of the 8" blades listed are for cutting plastics and ferrous/non-ferrous metals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Like I posted above, 8" is an older table saw blade, while 8 1/4" is a standard circular saw blade and I own a Skil saw with that size blade. Typically, a panel saw will only be cutting sheet goods up to 1" thick so no need for a blade larger than 7 1/4", the most popular size.

Skil does make an 8 1/4" size saw as shown on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT78...DBBGY4SNQZNZC1

This is the popular 7 1/4" Skil saw also made by Black and Decker, Craftsman, Makita and others:

https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-SHD77-4-.../dp/B000P7MAEM

post #9 of 10 Old 09-07-2019, 09:27 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
As woodnthings suggests check the diameter of your blade, as far as I know the HD77's have a 7 1/4" diameter blade.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 11:41 PM

View evilboweivel's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you have a Safety Speed Cut panel saw with an 8" blade.
I had a Freud on mine back in the 80's then switched to a Forrest blade that was recommended by the owner(forrest Blades)
I believe it is ATB with negative hook, can't say for sure as it was a long time ago, been sharpened by Forrest only and not used much the last 20 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode