Woodworking Talk banner

Oshlun 8 inch dado stack opinions

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  notskot 
#1 ·
http://www.rockler.com/oshlun-8-stack-dado-set

^Thats the set I'm referring to. Anybody have any experience with it? Ive been cutting a lot of half laps in the last several days, and its got me thinking that a dado stack would come in handy. $100 is about my price range, and it seems like this set has a bit of an edge over others in that price bracket. I particularly like the fact that the outside blades are 42t vs the 12 I see on others, which I presume leads to a cleaner cut in cross grain, and the fact that the chippers are full bodied.

I'm looking for personal experience with this set, although I'm not opposed to recommendations for a decent set, provided you explain why you'd recommend it

#2 ·
The Oshlun is a decent set, but IME the Delta/Delta 7670 has been the better performer. It cuts cleaner than the Oshluns, Avenger, SD208, CMT, and Marples sets in the $90-$100 range...it hovers near $120, but goes on sale close to $100 sometimes. Sears offers a Craftsman branded version of the 7670 set that sells in the $90-$100 range.

Oshlun: (Credit "Lumberyard" for the pics)

7670:

#3 ·
Thanks for the pictures mate, i hadnt come across those yet. When you say the 7670 cuts cleaner though, how much cleaner are we talking? Significantly less chip/tearout, or just less bat-winging? The pictures of the cuts off both look good, bit ive gotta say that even with the additional bat-winging i still like the olshun set better because of the higher tooth count and full-bodies chippers. The chippers on the dewalt set kinda scare me

#4 ·
They all scare me a bit! :blink: Edges are cleaner, bottom is cleaner, bat ears are less pronounced, and there's less tearout. It's not night and day, but is noticeable. The 7670 is easier to spin because most of the mass is near the hub...the Oshlun weighs more so takes more power to spin. The 7670 also comes with a great carrying case and excellent shim stock. Both are made in China. The design of the 7670 set is more like the Forrest's....whereas the Oshlun is modeled after the original Systimatic. The Oshlun was a nice deal when it was near $70. At $100 there's no real advantage of it over the 7670 IMO, but if you like it better....:thumbsup:

For cleanest cut, I'd look to the Infinity Dadonator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.