Orbital sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

View OutdoorSeeker's Photo Album My Photos
Orbital sander

I am looking at buying an orbital sander. All of my purchases have been Dewalt and I love them. I have searched the forum and found a lot of thumbs up for Dewalts random orbital.
I also have the Bosch ROS65VC-6 sander Iím looking at. I search YouTube for tool reviews and like the flex in the handle of the Bosch. I have not hand hands on experience with either but seem to be stuck on the Bosch model.

Has anyone here been able to compare the two to one another? My sander now is a cheap black n decker, so I know I would be happy with either one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2019, 06:45 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe this will help ...

I've always used the Dewalts, older versions, and liked them a lot.
I recently got some Hyper Tough sanders from Walmart on sale, cheap:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...sander-206736/

These are all they show now:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...020G/309826024

This review may compare the ones you are considering:
https://toolsfirst.com/best-random-o...ander-reviews/

https://www.thespruce.com/best-rando...anders-4146660

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgEEAE&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgEEAE&adurl=

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-14-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2019, 07:12 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I've had a Bosch 3725DVS sander for many years (actually right after they first came out). It has the hook/loop base. I've used the snot out of it over the years and it's the sort of machine you can run all day without stressing the motor. It's very well balanced and you can use it with the palm grip or the D-handle and removable front handle. It's so well sorted out, you can actually steer it by just holding the cord. I use a Bosch 16' super flex hose with it and dust collection is really great. I've replaced the velcro base pad twice. SWMBO melted the original one stripping paint off of the basement stairs. I just replaced that pad a couple of weeks ago when it stopped holding onto the sanding disks.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-14-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM
EdS

View EdS's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Porter Cable 5" orbital and it works well, dust collection is a bit of a chore however. I recently started making a large live edge dining table so I picked up a Makita random orbital half sheet sander. It has about twice the surface area of the 5" disks and the paper is a lot cheaper. I really like the way it performs.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO4900...51903817&psc=1
post #5 of 12 Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I used a inexpensive Ryobi for many years and I liked it but it finally crapped out, didn't like the new Ryobi so I chose the Dewalt DWE6423K Variable speed random orbit sander and it is really nice

post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 AM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
I have porter cable, hitachi, and makita...can't really say one is better than the other, they all work pretty well but the PC is easiest with dust collection.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Wannabe

View twedlake's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorSeeker View Post
I am looking at buying an orbital sander. All of my purchases have been Dewalt and I love them. I have searched the forum and found a lot of thumbs up for Dewalts random orbital.
I also have the Bosch ROS65VC-6 sander I’m looking at. I search YouTube for tool reviews and like the flex in the handle of the Bosch. I have not hand hands on experience with either but seem to be stuck on the Bosch model.

Has anyone here been able to compare the two to one another? My sander now is a cheap black n decker, so I know I would be happy with either one.
I have a B&D 5" orbital, a Ryobi 5" 18v orbital, and was in the local big box store a couple of weeks back for something else in the tool section where I saw this Bosch orbital sander. I'm thinking to myself, "$200 for an orbital sander, people have lost their minds". So I bought it! LOL Wow, JUST WOW! What a difference between this and the other two mentioned. It's like going from a rough riding, noisy 1979 Bronco to a 2019 Escalade (although for the record, I would rather the 1979 Bronco). I love it and can't speak highly enough about it. This thing will not wear you out on long sanding jobs like others would.

Just me being me and not trying to be you.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2019, 04:42 PM

View Snowball's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twedlake View Post
I have a B&D 5" orbital, a Ryobi 5" 18v orbital, and was in the local big box store a couple of weeks back for something else in the tool section where I saw this Bosch orbital sander. I'm thinking to myself, "$200 for an orbital sander, people have lost their minds". So I bought it! LOL Wow, JUST WOW! What a difference between this and the other two mentioned. It's like going from a rough riding, noisy 1979 Bronco to a 2019 Escalade (although for the record, I would rather the 1979 Bronco). I love it and can't speak highly enough about it. This thing will not wear you out on long sanding jobs like others would.
It is funny you mention the rough riding, because I have the same Ryobi 5" sander and I honestly hate the stupid thing. It is near impossible to control with one hand and rattles my ears even with plugs. I need a new sander and I just might upgrade to the "Escalade". lol
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

View OutdoorSeeker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twedlake View Post

They list the Bosch as a sander/polisher. I almost bought a Milwaukee battery operated polisher for my truck. Iím wondering if this would work well on vehicles as well. All my dewalt tools are going to be jealous of an intruder if I buy the Bosch.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I use my 3725DVS as a polisher to rub out paste wax on wood finishes. I have a couple of bonnets for it. Works just fine for big surfaces. I also have a Ryobi 18 volt cordless 6" polisher with a couple of bonnets for it also. The cordless Ryobi is the older blue/yellow model, not the current hyper-green unit. Both are random orbit, but neither one does inside corners well though and the bonnet ties tend to come loose and fly around. Be careful using either on automotive finishes, as it's real easy to rub through the finish on edges and creases. I haven't used either on my cars since clear coating (and my cars are garaged when not being driven) became the norm.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-15-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-16-2019, 09:29 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the Harbor Freight random orbital sander and returned it. It looks the same as the Walmart one. I returned it because I hated the dust collection port and dust collection bag, plus the vibration was unpleasantly strong. I replaced it with a Ridgid ROS from Home Depot. I like the round dust port on the Ridgid ROS. The dust bag stays attached if you use it, and it comes with a standard shop vac fitting, which I use most of the time. See my post #7 in this thread:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...6/#post2038599
Thread:
post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Dust port issues ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I bought the Harbor Freight random orbital sander and returned it. It looks the same as the Walmart one. I returned it because I hated the dust collection port and dust collection bag, plus the vibration was unpleasantly strong. I replaced it with a Ridgid ROS from Home Depot. I like the round dust port on the Ridgid ROS. The dust bag stays attached if you use it, and it comes with a standard shop vac fitting, which I use most of the time. See my post #7 in this thread:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...6/#post2038599
Thread:

There were 2 versions of this in the store at the time I bought mine:

This one's dust port is rectangular an nothing will hook up to it except it's own bag and that's OK for small jobs. What I've found over the years is there is no standard size dust port and no standard size small vacuum hose, so it's a crap shoot. You need to have on hand several size reducers/adaptors to make the connection. Plastic bottles necks and other sleeves will work.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...5yc1vZbqpfZ4hs

I made the mistake of buying 3 of them at the store and did not look closely at the package description. I ended up with 2 different types, the other 2 were not on sale and cost twice as much. I returned the 2 odd ball ones and got my money back, went online and ordered 3 more. They disappeared after delivery, went to my neighbor's house by mistake, sat there for a week on her table. I called Walmart to complain, so they sent out 3 more, no charge. She confessed to confiscating the 3 original ones, so I ended up get 6 in total, 3 of one type and 3 of the other.

My inventory of ROS has taken 25 years ...? to accumulate and here's what I have. They all seem to vibrate about the same:
Walmart Hyper Tough 2112 with rectangular port 2.4 AMPs

Walmart Hyper Tough AQ20020G round port 2.5 AMPs

Dewalt DW412 round port 1.9 AMPs

Porter Cable 343 round port 3.0 AMPs

The best sander I own is a Milwaukee 1/2 sheet, 6 AMPs ? no longer made. Virtually no vibration and cuts really fast despite being a 1/2 sheet. I learned about this sander from my friend who makes custom raised panel doors, who has two of them and has to do a whole lot of continuos sanding for production.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode