Opinions/advice needed about Cordless drill - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Opinions/advice needed about Cordless drill

My beloved PC has died...and the dewalt is on the way. Got my eye on a Bosch 18V Li-ion rig that I can get quite reasonably with my mil discount and a coupon. I have no experience with Bosch cordless stuff, but I have had good times with the corded Bosch. Any one have any horror stories, or attaboys? The model I'm looking at is DDS 180-02.
Please, let's not turn this into a brand bash fest.

Mick

Life's too short to _________(fill in the blank)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
That Bosch ought to serve you well. I'm a Makita guy because it's the first one I bought and had great service from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickit View Post
My beloved PC has died...and the dewalt is on the way. Got my eye on a Bosch 18V Li-ion rig that I can get quite reasonably with my mil discount and a coupon. I have no experience with Bosch cordless stuff, but I have had good times with the corded Bosch. Any one have any horror stories, or attaboys? The model I'm looking at is DDS 180-02.
Please, let's not turn this into a brand bash fest.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Check battery price and availability. Years ago I had a Bosch cordless drill. I liked it a lot but when it needed new batteries, they were hard to find and it was cheaper to junk the drill and buy a whole new kit.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
That Bosch ought to serve you well. I'm a Makita guy because it's the first one I bought and had great service from it.
+1

Batteries for the 18v LXT are about $100 a pop but they charge fast and last a good while.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
I have both and they both work great.
Bosch and Makita are both workhorses.
I personally like how the 'Kita "feels in my hand.

You won't go wrong with either one from my viewpoint....

Learning more about tools everyday
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
I have a bosh 12v that I use everyday at work. I love it. I was going to get the 18v version for home, but the new issue of wood mag. has a review of the latest drills. The Bosch does really good, however the makita for the same price is a better buy, more torque, quicker charging battery, and bigger chuck size.
I was going to go buy the Bosch, however this review has changed my mind.
About the only knock I can give to the makita is it is white....
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have any of the newer Bosch's. I still have one of the original Bosch cordless 9.6V, that came out in the 80's. My usual is a PC 14.4 PC drill/hammer drill. Out of the two batteries, one died and had to replace it (about $65). My only complaint is that after hours of use, like mounting a lot of drawer hardware or hinges, it gets a bit tiring.

On a fluke, I was in Lowes a while back and they had some Skil's 14.4V LI drills for $45. I thought for that it may be worth a try. I've gotta say it's like half the weight and size of my PC, and doesn't lose a charge when not used.

Both the Skil and the PC, are more than adequate in their duties, and I doubt I would need to go to 18V, considering their weight and size. I've also got Milwaukee, and Makita that I don't use very much.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

View Backyardhack's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't go less than 18v. Have you looked at Hitachi? I have the set below and the tools are very durable and light weight. You can get a bigger size battery but that will add more weight. I find the standard batteries are great for 95% of my needs. If I am doing some power drilling/driving the bigger battery comes in handy.

http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_KC18DH...)___i1585.aspx

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode