Older Craftsman Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

View prangy89's Photo Album My Photos
Older Craftsman Table Saw

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and new to the table saw world and have a question. I recently just purchased an older craftsman table saw off of craigslist. I had a little project I had to do immediately that was simply cutting a 30 degree angle in a 8 foot long piece of 2 x 8 green treated lumber. I noticed the motor got extremely hot, so hot that I could not hold my hand by it. I looked around on the saw for a model, but could not find one. I did so happen to go home this past weekend to find my dad has a similar looking saw that had the same motor set up. The motor is on the back side of the saw and runs the blade with a belt. His model is 113.12260 and said it was a 3/4 hp motor at 10 amps, and produced an rpm of 3450. My question, why would the motor be getting so hot? And, is the motor rebuild able or do I buy a new motor. Can a large HP motor replace this motor if it needs to be replaced? Someone at work mentioned the brushes may be worn and it can probably be rebuilt. So, let me know. Appreciate any help! Hope to make this forum a daily read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
motors DO get hot

However, you may have a dull blade. That's the first thing to check and replace before jumping to any other conclusions. You can get a Freud Diablo 40 tooth blade for around $30.00 at Home Depot as a start. It's a general purpose blade that will rip and crosscut equally well.

Pressure treated lumber can close on the blade and is not a good test piece. The moisture in the wood can also be an issue. Plywood is a good test material since it is more uniform. The blades that came with an older saw may be of HSS and not carbide which is the best type.

A 3/4 HP motor is on the low end of power, but it should just require a slower feed rate with a sharp blade.

Do not use an extension cord, but if you must make sure it is rated for at least 15 AMP, and keep the length to a minimum.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-24-2015 at 12:10 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks sir, I will give that a try as that thought did come to my mind. Just a starter saw, we will see where the journey takes me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Hey Pirate, I received your private message, but am not allowed to respond yet. I live up near Green Bay, WI. How much do you sell the motors for? Would a picture of the saw help answer if I can put a larger rated HP motor on the table?

Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2015, 12:23 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here to this wonderful world of woodworking! Your TS issues could be a compound of things, including what has been previously stated. Also cleaning the exterior of the entire TS, as there could be sawdust build up around the motor creating the over heating problem. IMO best to consider going the most economical way - cleaning the TS, new sharp blade, slower feed speed - BEFORE replacing the motor. Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
Why not just start by running the saw and not cutting anything? This will eliminate the possibility of a bad blade or an improper feed rate.

Obviously, if it gets hot after running for a minute or two, then it has other problems. You might also disconnect the belt, and try turning the blade and the motor by hand, just to see if they both turn freely.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2015, 02:46 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I would try a good blade as recommended before anything else, pressure treated wood is often damp so is a tough cut.
Are you using an extension cord, that will make a difference as well, if necessary use a short heavy duty one.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 11 Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 AM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
Hello and welcome, this is a great place to hang out and get good advice. The model # from your dad's saw is the motor #. If you look carefully on the saw there should be a plate with the model # usually in the rear unless it has been removed. From what I find that 3/4 hp motor was paired up with saw model# 103.0210 which took only an 8" blade. Is that the case with yours? If so there is not a great selection of 8" blades out there. A photo would be nice if you can post one. If you do need a motor I see a few on E Bay. Good luck and keep us posted.

Joe B. 41
post #9 of 11 Old 09-28-2015, 04:39 PM

View Evyn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Are you using an extension cord, that will make a difference as well, if necessary use a short heavy duty one.
What are the cons of using a longer extension cord? In my case, I have no choice but to use a 40' cord.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Prangy
You cannot run your table saw off a household extension cord.
Don't use anything less than a short 14 gauge extension cord to avoid overheating your motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
Evyn (09-29-2015)
post #11 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone, just wanted to follow up since I wasn't able to get on here for a few days. I did just take the blade off the table and it is a 10" blade. The saw my father has does look a bit older and smaller, so that 8" blade makes sense. Unfortunately there is no tag on the motor or on the saw. I will try to get some pictures up here. I did use an extension cord, but it is a short thicker gauge cord that I use with my smaller welder. I did feel the power cord was getting warm. Thanks for all the responses thus far, this seems like a very helpful forum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode