Old tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 18Likes

post #1 of 29 Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Old tools

Don't know what it is about the old tools. All cast iron, bases that match the tool, I think they are so cool.

I have a 1938 Walker Turner 14" band saw. I found it for my Dad at a garage sale when I was just barely in my 20's. I think it had been a military unit as it had been painted many times. Dad spent days getting all of the old paint off. When he passed it was one of the tools I wanted to keep. The base is cast, as well as the belt cover. This one has the gearbox to cut metal, or you can disengage it and run the pulleys only for more speed for wood.

I saw this on the local CL this morning, so cool for a scroll saw, I'm tempted even though I don't use a scroll saw much...

What do you have that is old and cool?
Attached Images

Sleeper, 35015, craymer41 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You're not the only one. I appreciate the cast iron, well, except when I have to move it. Took me three days to move my planer about 15'. 4000lbs is hard to move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0756copy.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	373147  

craymer41 likes this.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-17-2019, 05:49 PM

View craymer41's Photo Album My Photos
That is a cool old scroll saw. I have been doing various types of carpentry and woodworking for years, but only recently started setting up a dedicated woodworking shop. I have lots of tools, but the oldest thing I got is the Delta 37-301 Crescent 8" jointer. It seems rock solid and just needed a new belt and change of knives. It's all cast iron and has the art deco style. It was built around 1952.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Sleeper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 AM

This is a Mattison stroke sander made in 1931 which is pictured in Keller Furniture MFG in Indiana. The company went out of business and a guy in Houston bought several pieces of equipment and then put the sander up for sale and I got it. Believe it or not I got it for $250.00. I just had to drive from Dallas to Houston to get it.
Attached Images

post #5 of 29 Old 03-18-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
This is a Mattison stroke sander made in 1931 which is pictured in Keller Furniture MFG in Indiana. The company went out of business and a guy in Houston bought several pieces of equipment and then put the sander up for sale and I got it. Believe it or not I got it for $250.00. I just had to drive from Dallas to Houston to get it.
That looks like one helluva machine!!

I like the stand, definitely looks like it is worthy of the machine.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
That looks like one helluva machine!!

I like the stand, definitely looks like it is worthy of the machine.
When I was searching for a stroke sander I was looking for a Beach sander. They are better because the stands are separate from each other and you can set them up any length you desire. The Mattison sander works great but you can't sand something as long as a house door on it. About 6' is it's limit.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

This is what my band saw looks like(no blue stripes), also check out this guys WT drill press behind it.

I've seen a couple of WT jointers for sale recently that I would buy, but I'm not driving to the north east to get them...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT bsaw.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	373173  

Last edited by shoot summ; 03-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-18-2019, 02:13 PM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
I love the old stuff too. You can't beat cast iron and the retro design. Here's an old jointer, probably 1950's vintage, that I picked up years ago for maybe $150. I cleaned it up, painted it, made a base with dust collection, installed new blades and it works great. The tilting mechanism for the fence is as solid as a rock not that wobbly stuff you see on the low end stuff these days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP6320.jpg
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	373181  

Name:	IMGP6317.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	373183  

Name:	IMGP6315.jpg
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	373185  

post #9 of 29 Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
My old Delta bandsaw from 1946 is the heaviest & most solid machine I own. We moved a couple of years ago, & I have no idea how the mover guys got it down into the basement. (Along with my jointer, drill press, table saw, sander, planer, etc., etc., etc.)

I actually found it sitting near a dumpster at a local place that makes prosthetic arms & legs. I asked if I could take it, & the owner had me come in to get some extra parts that he hadn't yet put out to the dumpster. In the end, it was missing the upper blade guide, & needed some new bearings. They had a riser block on it, but unfortunately for me, they kept it for their replacement saw. It has the metal cutting feature, but since I have no need for it, I removed the associated gearbox & made a cover plate so I wouldn't have to keep the base filled with oil. Altogether, I have about $100 in it.

You'll notice that I don't have the original "retirement lamp" on it, just my cheap imittion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	373187  

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	373189  

shoot summ and Tool Agnostic like this.
post #10 of 29 Old 03-18-2019, 04:27 PM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
Steve, I've got one too. Mine is from 1950 and was my dad's. Note, it has the original lamp. A great machine, and as you said, heavy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bandsaw.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	373197  

Stevedore and Tool Agnostic like this.
post #11 of 29 Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Grabbed a couple of pics of the WT Band Saw.

I put new tires on it, tuned it up, mostly cut metal with it, works really well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT1.jpg
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	373219  

Name:	WT2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	373221  

Stevedore and JRboostGSR like this.
post #12 of 29 Old 03-19-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

This is on the local CL this morning, had no idea there was such a thing...

24" jointer made by C.O. porter machinery.

10 HP motor 3 phase
6 knives in head 24" x 1 1/4" x 3/16" - no knives included
tables 32" wide and 102" long
3000 lbs. or so.
Attached Images

post #13 of 29 Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM

One of the problems with being old and talking vintage machinery is you look around the shop at some antique equipment and most of it you bought new. I will just stick with equipment older than me.

This is a Dewalt 16" radial arm saw I bought in 2015 but still working on a place to set it up to use it. It has a tag on it which states it was used by a defense company during WWII.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0759.jpg
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	373235  

shoot summ likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 03-19-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Quote:
One of the problems with being old and talking vintage machinery is you look around the shop at some antique equipment and most of it you bought new. I will just stick with equipment older than me.

This is a Dewalt 16" radial arm saw I bought in 2015 but still working on a place to set it up to use it. It has a tag on it which states it was used by a defense company during WWII.
That thing is a beast!

Looks like it is in great condition too.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I had a 1957 Dewalt RAS a lot like the one in your photo, I loved that saw. I could cut a base cabinet side across grain in one pull with it. One thing I bet you will do once you get it set up is move the off on switch, I kept hitting it with my leg.

I have an old Rockwell bandsaw don't know the year. I also had an 8 inch Rockwell jointer but I swapped it for a shaper as I had no use for a jointer. That 24 inch jointer, that is just too dangerous for my taste.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #16 of 29 Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I had a 1957 Dewalt RAS a lot like the one in your photo, I loved that saw. I could cut a base cabinet side across grain in one pull with it. One thing I bet you will do once you get it set up is move the off on switch, I kept hitting it with my leg.

I have an old Rockwell bandsaw don't know the year. I also had an 8 inch Rockwell jointer but I swapped it for a shaper as I had no use for a jointer. That 24 inch jointer, that is just too dangerous for my taste.
I don't know about the switch. There will probably be enough overhang on the top to prevent hitting it. I worked for a company a long time ago that had a 16" Delta radial arm and you could cut a 24" wide panel on it. The cabinets then were made with particleboard shelving so it worked great for that purpose. The main thing I got this radial arm saw is the 10" craftsman saw I have lacks the power to cut hardwood. Not sure what I will do with the craftsman when I get the dewalt set up. Kind of thinking of putting it in the same table and put a dado blade on it.

Yea, that would be something to face a 24" wide board on a jointer. It's enough for me to face a 12" wide board on my jointer. If I remember right I think Warner has a 32" jointer.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I don't know about the switch. There will probably be enough overhang on the top to prevent hitting it. I worked for a company a long time ago that had a 16" Delta radial arm and you could cut a 24" wide panel on it. The cabinets then were made with particleboard shelving so it worked great for that purpose. The main thing I got this radial arm saw is the 10" craftsman saw I have lacks the power to cut hardwood. Not sure what I will do with the craftsman when I get the dewalt set up. Kind of thinking of putting it in the same table and put a dado blade on it.

Yea, that would be something to face a 24" wide board on a jointer. It's enough for me to face a 12" wide board on my jointer. If I remember right I think Warner has a 32" jointer.
Steve, you will love that Dewalt RAS, it is so smooth running. 32" is unreal, not this ole boy.lol

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #18 of 29 Old 03-20-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Steve, you will love that Dewalt RAS, it is so smooth running. 32" is unreal, not this ole boy.lol
Ah, 32" you just have to sit on the board to keep it down.
BigJim likes this.
post #19 of 29 Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My uncles had one of these in their stair shop. My grandfather bought it right before WWII

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #20 of 29 Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
My uncles had one of these in their stair shop. My grandfather bought it right before WWII
A stroke sander is very versatile, when I was looking for a sander I thought about a timesaver sander but you can only sand one direction with them. With a stroke sander I'm able to sand the top and bottom of cabinet door rails and then turn the door sanding the stiles vertically eliminating the cross grain scratches from sanding the rails. Makes for a lot less work with the orbital to finish the job.
Sleeper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode