Old table saw and jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

View mixer440's Photo Album My Photos
Old table saw and jointer

Is it even feasible to sell used and sometimes heavy/bulky power equipment. Places like ebay and craigslist seem to be flooded with stuff.... It seems that shipping would eat up anything you could possibly get.

Has anyone succeeded doing this sort of thing ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 01:00 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it's very heavy offer it for local pick up only. I bought 2 tons of planer off ebay in 2014. That year I also drove from Dallas to Houston to buy a 12" jointer I found.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 08:35 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Selling "heavy/bulky equipment" can be a blessing or a curse. Consider the item, (size/weight/condition/etc.), location, vehicle available for moving, effective asking price, and your time are IMO all factors, whether you are buying OR selling. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 08:56 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It all depends upon where you live. And the supply and demand for what you want to sell/buy. Further it gets down to the supply/demand for the exact item you are trying to buy/sell.

The bottom line is that every situation is different. No one can tell you whether or not you can sell something where you live.

George
post #5 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes you can trade off old equipment you were unable to sell. Sometimes someone else has something you would like that they want to get rid of.
Offer for sale or trade. It opens up new opportunities.
I once traded a nail gun for a trampoline for my kids.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

View mixer440's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks folks for the replies. I may list them in the "Classifieds" here on this site just for pure interest/amusement.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 08:38 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
technology has changed the features and capabilities of power tools so substantially, that many older machines are barely fit for museums. They are heavy and clunky and in these days when space is a premium, take up more room than many are willing to give them. Add to that the in the 1950's and 1960's nearly every father had a basement or garage workshop where he tinkered at night instead of being glued to the tube. I would venture to say that the over all proportion of those who have a home shop has dwindled to far less than 50 years ago, even with the expanding population. The willy and joes are nearly gone along with the corner mom and pop hardware stores they kept in business. A 1950;s prime table saw is barely worth the scrap metal price in many areas. Brushes and bearings wear out. capacitors go bad. Parts are hard to find. The only reason anyone keeps a 60 year old jig saw is as a curiosity. Our local craigslist is chock full of older cheap wood lathes and even quality 6 inch jointers have trouble getting a c-note. But don't offer them free or the callers will be scrap scroungers looking for a few dollars of scrap metal to sell.

There is a retired teacher at a nearby school that runs after school and weekend woodworking workshops. he is always looking for an extra quality machine but it must have the safety guards. I have gifted a tool of two for his use. Sometimes, he knows of a person who simply cannot afford his own and who would appreciate a free, donated or bargain priced tool to actually use. Ask around, and find it a GOOD home.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
If sell "plus actual shipping" the sale price isn't affected by shipping. But your labor is.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode