Old Sears Craftsman Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

View crazy8's Photo Album My Photos
Old Sears Craftsman Table Saw

Over the weekend I decided to start cutting up some plywood for a Kydex press I am going to build. During this process, I had finished my last cut and all of the sudden the horrific sound of blade hitting metal and parts breaking/flying. After inspection, the nut that holds the blade in place somehow found its way off and the small threaded (bolt?) that holds the wheel, that the belt goes on, has been finding its way loose lately and has been needing to be tightened. That wheel has already come off the shaft once and almost did again during this incident. That threaded piece that's supposed to keep the wheel on has shattered so I need to pull it out and get a new one.

Since last year when I got it, I haven't used it a whole lot, only a few projects. But I am wondering if I am better off getting a new table saw, or if this is just something that happens with these? I found myself spending more time, getting it working, than actually using it. I may need a new belt too. It seems to struggle once in a while just to get going, but once its going, she runs great and cuts. I guess, since yesterday and having stuff start going really bad, im just not sure what to do, or if I am safer and better off getting a new saw.

any help, words of wisdom, tips, etc. are always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 07:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
the older the saw ....

The older your saw, the more maintenance it needs. The pulleys/wheels need to be checked for looseness,the set screws that hold them on must be tight, the belt need to be sighted for straight running, no offsets and the nut that holds the blade onto the arbor needs to be flat and true. It needs to be snug when changing out the blade, not Gorilla tight, just snug. It will self tighten as it starts up anyway.

Once a pulley flies off, it may be too worn/and sloppy on the shaft and the keyway to be used again. It's a cheap replacement part and the best place to start. Check both pulleys, the motor and the arbor. Mine would come loose after a while, so I was always checking them.
You wanna get a new saw, go for it. You wanna fix this one, that's very possible also. :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Spend some time and learn equipment maintenance. I expect sooner or later even a new saw would need it.

One thing I learned as a young mechanic was things loosen up. Much of the home equipment like lawn mowers and snow blowers have things loosen all the time. Much of this woodworking equipment is subjected to the same vibrating forces. Once a year, break out your 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" wrenches and sockets as well as a couple screwdrivers and a set of allen wrenches and just walk around all the equipment in the garage or shop touching every visible fastener to see if anything loosened up. If it did, tighten it up. This process or effort should take 20-30 minutes and it is uprising how much loose stuff you find. If you own a motorcycle include that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 08:03 PM

View GEMcooter#2's Photo Album My Photos
craftsman table saw

I had an older craftsman table saw I bought in the 80's. The pulleys kept getting loose. They were aluminum pullets. I bought new ones and they would stay tight for a while. It got to where they wouldn't stay tight at all. When they would come off it would tear up the belt. I was in the middle of getting ready for a craft show and it tore up 2 belts in a row. I went and bought a new delta contractor saw. When I got caught up and had time I looked at the craftsman saw again. I decided to try cast iron pulleys. They worked great and stayed tight. I used it on a cabinet job where I needed 2 saws one with a dado blade and one with a regular blade so I wouldn't have to keep changing the blades back and forth. I used it for that job and then pasted it on to my son. He's still using it.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I guess I must be lucky when it comes to these things. I get few loose parts, but then again I don't buy from someone whose only tool is a pair of vise grips..
If you go to buy a used car or machinery avoid buying from someone who seems to have too many vise grips laying around the place. If it has a lot of mangled nuts and bolts it's probably a good sign that person is relying on their vise grips a little too much..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 08:54 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Die cast pulleys wobble out over time because they are soft. Always replace them with cast iron. You can get about any size from industrial supply places.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I'm curious what you are making out of Kydex?
post #8 of 11 Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I'm curious what you are making out of Kydex?
I'll try to make it short...So I am a storm spotter and a ham radio operator. I just got a new truck ('09 Tahoe LT) and I will have 2 hand held radios in there but want to make a couple custom "holders" that I will fasten onto a couple proclips so that they have a proper place to sit rather than rolling around on the dash or in the cup holder tray...lol I will also be making a sheath for my Ka-Bar BK 7 and
hopefully be going for my conceal and carry and when i do get my hand gun, I'll probably make a holster for that as well. :)
post #9 of 11 Old 03-07-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the tips and support. I kind of figured it may be just maintenance stuff but just wanted to make sure that this was not the start of something that may just get worse and more unsafe. Where can I buy upgraded parts for that saw? One of my hand cranks fell off because the inside of the end that attaches to the bar, that should be "D" shaped, is all rounded out. So now I have to change angle by hand. Thankfully, I have been doing all strait cuts so far....lol

If I can find a place to get replacement parts or, even better, upgraded parts, that would be huge. I need one of those hand cranks maybe two soon, the one pully but probably best to just to get 2 of them in cast iron, and a belt. I had done some looking but couldn't find anything for my saw. :(
post #10 of 11 Old 03-07-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

WOW! I think I found what I'm looking for. I want to make it clear that I had searched in the past, but for some reason I was able to find stuff now. Here's what im thinking....

Pulleys & Belts

PALS

Some kind of Handwheel like this

That should put the saw in pretty good working order I think. I do want to get a better fence at some point too. The stock one sucks. At some point I want to build a portable table/bench for the saw so that I can pull it out to the middle of the garage when I need it, and push it back towards the other wall when I am not. In both cases, it would be come a great work surface. :)

Last edited by crazy8; 03-07-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

I ordered my pulleys and belt a few days ago that I linked above. Hopefully they will be here soon. :) I cant wait to get them in and get the saw working again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode