Old Rockwell Bouncing Motor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

View brucebunson's Photo Album My Photos
Old Rockwell Bouncing Motor

I just got an old Rockwell tablesaw hand-me-down from my grandpa. I think it's from the 70's. It looks to be in good shape, but I was told that the motor/belt might nee to be adjusted. It does indeed. When it on the motor bounces at first then settles into a violent vibration. I'm obviously not using it in this state, just trying to adjust it to run smooth. I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I'm just loosening the bolts and shifting it randomly, tightening it down again and seeing what happens. I got it to a minimal vibration, but when I tried to put some plywood through it stopped the blade about 5 inches in. I assume the belt was too loose. But the tighter I seem to get it the more it bounces.

Should the weight of the motor be supported by the belt, or should the motor's weight be supported by the plate it's bolted to?

here is a link to an owners manual of a slightly newer, slightly bigger version, but it looks the same. It didn't really help answer my questions, but it's a good reference.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/698/2146.pdf

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Try a new belt. Old one may have taken a set from non use.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2016, 06:13 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
It's almost surely a bad belt - they take a 'set' over time and then don't run smoothly. Some people like the link (adjustable) belts (available at harbor freight and other places). You can also just get a new V-belt like the old one and use that.

As a simple test, you can just remove the belt and see how the motor runs by itself - it should be pretty smooth.

Usually, the weight of the motor is used to tension the belt. You'll probably notice that if you raise or lower the blade, the motor rises and falls with it. So, the motor should be free to move up and down (grab the underside of the motor, and try to lift it up - it should move freely).

You might see if you can get the exact manual for your saw, just search by the model number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-05-2016, 06:34 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The binding in the wood when sawing could also be the blade. Recommend that you get new blade unless it is obvious that the current blade is relatively new.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
If I recall....

With the blade at full height, the belt will be the shortest and most tight. If it's too tight, you have to slide the motor mount plate in a bit and recheck it. Absolutely get a new V belt, should be about 42" or 41" ... if I recall....? It's 4L series belt, NOT an automotive type, the V angles are different.

The overall weight of the motor is always supported by the hinged mounting plate, however the hanging weight is what keeps the belt under tension. It will have a spring washer on the mounting plate to keep it from "bouncing" too much by adding a little friction.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
New belt is needed.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

View brucebunson's Photo Album My Photos
Fixed

Thanks guys. A new belt did the trick. It's running smooth now.

Now I need to do a little refurbish work on it. It's running a little squeaky.

Tags
belt tension, rockwell, tablesaw, vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode