Old Power Tool Recommendations - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Newbie Hobbiest

View deke's Photo Album My Photos
Old Power Tool Recommendations

Hello,

As a home hobbiest with a budget I'd like to consider some used tools. There seems to be a nice routine selection of used tools on Craig's list and others. I'm thinking used might be a nice way to go for a band saw and maybe a drill press. What I would like to find is a list or set of recommendations on good units to look for. For example with band saws I recently saw a Bridgeport 14" for $200 and an Atlas 12" for $100. I didn't look at either, but both were reported to run well. I *think* these are well built tools, but I'm not sure. What would be some good brands to look for then pounce on if they show up? Same goes for drill presses please. What the heck, jointer and planer too if you feel like it!

Thanks in advance

Deke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Check out this website...OWWM.com
post #3 of 11 Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Newbie Hobbiest

Fantastic! Thanks. Why didn't every possible search on Google not lead me hear? This one is going to keep me up late tonight for sure! Still, it would be nice to have a list of old band saw brands that are worth purchasing.

Last edited by deke; 04-17-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 AM

View allenn's Photo Album My Photos
confusion in nomenclature

deke,

FWIW-

I'm not attempting to make anybody feel bad, I'm just offering this as an example of my understanding of what words I use and what they mean to me.

When I see the word tools, I think of simple things like hammers, saws, chisels, screwdrivers, framing squares, axes, mallets, shovels, hoes, rakes, brooms, dustpans, awls, plumbobs, augers, sanding blocks, sharpening stones and hones, scrapers, benches, tables, cleats, scorps, drawknives, spokeshaves, and levels.

When I see the word machines, things are more complex, like planes, braces, pulleys, vises, mortisers, shaving horses, blocks and tackle, rotary drills, Yankee screwdrivers, and miter boxes.

When I see the words electically powered machines, I think of things that are yet more complicated, like circular saws, jig saws, routers, sliding compund miter saws, radial arm saws, bandsaws, jointers, planers, scroll saws, shapers, drill presses, table saws, belt sanders, lathes, and thickness planers.

Then there are pieces of equipment that do even more complex jobs, like tractors, manure spreaders, automobiles, road graders, forklifts, mobile cranes, pile drivers, rock crushers, central dust collectors, computers, and airplanes.

Such distinctions are helpful to me.

and it may not be worth the paper to line the birdcage.

allen norris
post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I like used tools too. Here's an old Black and Decker drill that still runs perfectly!

Old Power Tool Recommendations-b-ddrill.jpg

Name:  B&Ddrill2.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  88.3 KB
post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul K
Deke
I think we all know what you are asking, but it is just too broad a question to ask, perhaps. There are LOTS of great old tools, and the guide to look OWWM is a great one. These guys mostly look at old american iron, but will talk about non american, (read European) if old too. Some folks would say that they have had Craftsman table saws and have graduated from that to unisaws or bigger, but there are others that are VERY competant craftsman that love restoring old craftsman machines! (no pun intended) If you go to the OWWM site, you can go and look at machines in their photo gallery. If you see a nice looking saw or DP or whatever you can post a question about that machine. If you asked here about which was the best older 10" cabinet saw, you probably would get some opinions, which would include PM, Unisaws, maybe an oliver or Yates, etc, but you would get opinions, which I know is all you are looking for, but if you say which are the good table saws, sanders, jointers, etc. The list becomes too large, in the hundreds, and we would later kick ourselves for all the ones we forgot to add. Absolutely look for old iron, and back in Philly and the eastern seaboard, there are lots of tools to look at. Some require a lot of work, and some are plug and play. If you go on OWWM and ask an opinion, (that is join) remember, do NOT ask about a specific ongoing auction, (craigslist, ebay etc). That is against their rules. You can ask about a machine, but don't refer to the auction.
So if you want to ask your question, limit it to size of machine, (8" jointer or whatever) and perhaps how much you are willing to pay.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Newbie Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenn View Post
deke,

FWIW-

I'm not attempting to make anybody feel bad, I'm just offering this as an example of my understanding of what words I use and what they mean to me.

When I see the word tools, I think of simple things like hammers, saws, ...

When I see the word machines, ...
allen norris
Allen, this forum is categorized and this is under the category "Power Tools and Machinery" so I didn't think there would be any serious issue of understanding. However, I understand what you are saying, and will be more careful in my use of terms.

Paul, okay, I will be more direct. Initially I was just thinking about 14" band saws and going used vs. new, but then I started to outfit my whole shop in my mind. I'll stick to thinking and asking about 14" band saws.

Oh, I didn't refer to a specific auction here - I thought that would be rude, so at least I am on the right track there!

Last edited by deke; 04-19-2008 at 09:09 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Check out this website...OWWM.com
I love that site. You can find some great stuff.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 AM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
I like used tools too. Here's an old Black and Decker drill that still runs perfectly!

Attachment 3138

Attachment 3139

That is the cat's ass, as they say. I'd love to have one of those. Nice find.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #10 of 11 Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul K
Deke
Much easier, 14" bandsaws. Well, again, of course you will get lots of opinions. But if you limit it to 14" bandsaws, then you probably can't go wrong looking at Rockwell/delta, Walker Turner, and Powermatic. There of course are some others that might turn up, that will be good, but these are the common ones, and maybe in that order. Though the Walker Turners are certainly rarer and a bit more "coveted" perhaps for that reason. I had a WT 16" that was a good saw, but I sold it after getting a 20" Rockwell, (a "bigger saw" but not necessarily Better"). At 14" you are not asking about the bigger saws like the Yates, the Fay & Eagan's, Tanny's, etc. The most common saw you will find is the Rockwell/Delta. For some reason, there aren't as many PM's in the older saws that you will find in 14". But also good saws. Frankly, I would look for one that was say 20 years or older, shouldn't be hard. At that size you don't have to worry much about phase, all will be single phase. Look them over for cracked or missing parts. Tires (bandsaws have rubber tires that need to be crowned after putting them on, and they do wear out) can be replaced, as can most things, but broken or missing parts are harder and more expensive. There were some years that were probably to be avoided, as i remember something like 1970 thru 75 for Rockwells, but I could well be mistaken. You can find out for sure by asking on OWWM specifically what years were to be avoided on Rockwell. Or search the archives there for discussions of that fact. And you can mention specific auctions on this site, just not on OWWM! Only if you do mention it, someone might go ahead and buy it out from under you!
Best of luck
Paul
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 AM

View luckytiff02's Photo Album My Photos
Great find!!! Its very useful. Do you mind what powertools can I use in sewing a leather beanbags cover? Its very hard to sew co'z its a little bit firm. Thanks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode