Old Lathe legs/base project build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jeff100
  • 1 Post By jeff100

post #1 of 8 Old 12-28-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

View jeff100's Photo Album My Photos
Old Lathe legs/base project build

So this project started when I got a older (1940s ish) craftsman benchtop lathe out of a friends garage for free.

I made the legs to look similar to the cast iron I-Beam type design.

Two cross brace pipes support the chisel slots as well as the soon to be made motor mount.

Still have some more work to do but here it sits so far.

I will update the thread when more work gets done to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-28-2019, 08:50 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
very nicely done, Jeff !!
I am "assuming" that the gray stand is the part you reproduced
out of wood ??
that alone would be a project to document during the build.
if you want to go a step further, you could take the legs to a foundry
and have them cast in aluminum. (or steel or cast iron, if you desired).
very well done !!! very well done indeed.
what are your final plans once you get it all together & working ?

Old Lathe legs/base project build-stand.jpg

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #3 of 8 Old 12-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work! I'm a big fan of the old CI bases and legs used on machinery. Never really considered making a look alike out of wood, great idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-28-2019, 09:54 AM

View LilysDad's Photo Album My Photos
Are these made of wood? . . .or are they welded up from steel? The photo is just a little fuzzy. In any case, I'm with the other posters; you can't ever have to much weight in a lathe base.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

They are made out of that dense particle board cut to the curved leg shape and 2 thin strips of plywood per side that I wet and bent along that to form the edges. Then to solidify everything it got a few coats of epoxy resin to make it all look like one solid piece. The grey color that they are now is just a primer. They'll eventually be the same color as the lathe itself.

Steel/Cast Iron obviously would have been better but this seems to be plenty heavy and suited the look I was going for. Getting them cast would be very cool but by the time and expense of all that id be better off finding some on the local craigslist.

As far as plans for this when done, its going to be my primary lathe now. I have been using the lathe setup from a shop-smith but it was way to big for the tool handles and smaller objects that I only been turning. I purchased a 4" diameter jaw chuck that I need to made an adapter for the fit the spindle threads.
John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2019, 05:50 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Nicely done!

It is hard for me to see how much "arch" there is under your lathe, but one handy trick I learned is to put a shelf between the lathe and the stand. I bought my lathe used, and the seller included the shelf. Another trick I learned is to put an on/off switch in a convenient place.

Photo: Lathe with shelf and on/off switch. The photo is somewhat misleading. The shelf does not protrude much, and it does not interfere with woodturning in any way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta 46-460 Lathe.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	382605  

post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Nicely done!

It is hard for me to see how much "arch" there is under your lathe, but one handy trick I learned is to put a shelf between the lathe and the stand. I bought my lathe used, and the seller included the shelf. Another trick I learned is to put an on/off switch in a convenient place.

Photo: Lathe with shelf and on/off switch. The photo is somewhat misleading. The shelf does not protrude much, and it does not interfere with woodturning in any way.
I was originally going to do that but after adding the legs and the cross brace pipes and checking to make sure the surface of the lathe didn't flex at all I'm not going to bother. Plus not having a shelf allows me to make a much larger and more collective dust collection entrance. I may in the future add some sort of bolt on flat surface if i want to make a duplicating jig, but that's a ways off.

Yea a switch is definitely mandatory and once i get the motor mount figured out it will be added somewhere.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quick update but no pictures until this weekend. Got the Lathe motor mount arm made up, it basically pivots on the back cross pipe to allow an easy change of which step on the step pulley the belt goes on. Itll be pretty cool if it works like im thinking it will.

I need yalls help with something though. Im looking for a jaw chuck for this lathe instead of the normal spur type spindle head. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look. Im not looking for anything too over the top expensive, i know "inexpensive" and "jaw chuck" dont really go hand in hand but i figured id ask.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode