Woodworking Talk banner

Old Craftsman table saw 113.298032 / elevation screw stripped?

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  lokilo 
#1 ·
Hi there! I'm a new forum member. Found this forum while looking up something (I forget what it was!) about Craftsman table saws. I am not a woodworker, not even a weekend warrior woodworker, but by design (old house; budget) and curiosity (I love to work on things myself), I have felt increasingly comfortable tackling small projects. This past summer especially, whenever I need a rip cut, I trot down to my neighbor's shop and help him as he does the cuts on his Craftsman table (which he updated with a very nice Rockler fence system.) I've helped him a few other times with tricky cuts. He was even thinking of getting me his father's old table saw, but that fell through.

A few days ago, he found that same model saw on Craigslist for $20! A few phone calls later, I got me a table saw, for FREEEE! It's got a great motor but was left outside for a while and is missing a few important items.

- on/off switch. I'll probably get something like a Rockler start/STOP switch
- one of the angle irons
- and most importantly (esp for me) the blade guard. I've read here and elsewhere that there are a few other options. But I have found the part on ebay (part # "62579")​

Yesterday I spent a good amount of time cleaning the iron table. Pretty happy with the results there. Will do a coat of wax soon.

The saw seems to have two issues, both of which I think can be solved with the right parts...

First issue is with the elevation screw. While the tilt wheel/screw turns easily, this is not the case with the elevation wheel/screw. (Guy told me it is difficult and needs cleaning/greasing, last time it was done was last year.) I can move the wheel easily one turn in each direction. After that, it's a workout. When I look underneath, I saw that the retaining ring closest to the arbor was bent and stuck on the rod/screw instead fitted in the groove. I was able to pry it loose and, yup, it is bent. It also seems as though a thread is... what's the term.... galled? seized? One thread doesn't look happy, let's put it that way. Could there be any other reason why that elevation screw seems so resistant? I've found that screw/part easily online, and just tempted to buy it ($15, can't really go wrong) But if that screw is seized, then its housing (cradle?) is messed up, no?

Other question: that tilt clamp screw looks a. weird (bent?) and b. seems to do nothing. I understand that it's spring-loaded, but I'm now wondering if that is also something that needs to be replaced and if it's connected to the issue of the elevation rod. (Seems like they're not related since it's a "tilt" clamp...) Does that screw/rod change angle when it's turned? The tilt mechanism works regardless. I feel that something was turned with the tilt clamp locked, which resulted in a bent screw, but not sure.

A carpenter friend will be by tomorrow to look it over. I could have asked all these questions to him first, but I wanted to have some answers from others first, so I don't seem completely clueless with him :)

Maybe there was a reason the guy gave it to me for free! But hey... If I can get it to a proper and safe working condition, it will suit my infrequent needs just fine. It came with 3 blades and a good motor. If anything, I can use it for parts.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So from reading more on the elevation screw here on this forum and elsewhere on the interwebs, I think one issue might be resolved with a simple good cleaning of those arbor gears/elevation screw, both of which are pretty gummed up. I've got some of those tiny Dremel *real* brass brushes (not the steel ones coated in brass) and will give those a good cleaning. Still think the elevation screw itself needs to be replaced as well as the retaining clip.

#3 ·
Try this first ...

You'll need some wet/dry paper about 220 or 320 grit, some duct tape to back it up about 1" by 24" long and a length of paracord about 24" long. Brake cleaner or PB Blaster in a spray can. Not WD 40.

Cut the wet/dry into 1" strips and tape the duck tape on the back side for strength. Wrap 1 turn around the threaded rod and see/saw the wet/dry back and forth until it shines up. When that looks good use the paracord or heavy twine in the threads and see/saw it back and forth until they are clean. Spray a grease cutter like Brake Cleaner or PB Blaster as you use both of those to loosen up the crud. Afterwards use a very light oil or "dry slide" by WD 40 for a lubricant. NO GREASE. :vs_OMG:
https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...Ewk4n_lFX4WpRLaRcihoCCnIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Dremel and brass brush will work, but it will be tedious and take for ever. A brass brush used to clean the BBQ will be better. If you have an air compressor that will be a big help also. Blow out everything you can. Threaded rods like those do not "wear out" in limited use like this. They suffer from lack of lube and lack of use, get a bit rusty and now need to be cleaned up.
:vs_cool:

Reactions: lokilo
#4 ·
Thanks so much for all this! Yes, I have been using PB Blaster and wondered if I should get out the brake cleaner. Will get some paracord and do as you suggest.

I was actually coming on here to post some pics. Yes, I still need to vacuum out a bit more. I swear, sawdust just keeps pouring out of hidden corners.

1. Tilt clamp screw is bent. That explains a lot.

2. Upon further inspection, I noticed a potentially greater problem: some of the arbor gears are messed up and maybe the reason why it chewed into the lift screw?

Pictures included.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Is there a tablesaw ER nearby?

It's no wonder why is was cheap/free. It's a parts saw, really not workable in it's present state. Ebay always has the carriages/trunnions for sale or other "parts saws" if you want to do a bit of mechanical therapy .....
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...c=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Craftsman+table+saw+parts

After rechecking the photos, it may not be a "lost cause"? Parts that are bent, can be straightened.
Parts that are threaded can be cleaned up or replaced, but not easily rethreaded.
The sector gear can be buggered on the edge, but if it meshes properly, it will still work. If there is slop in the shafts, they can be shimmed or bushed to remove the slop.
You will learn by doing on this project and if it's all for naught, still a valuable experience in learning the workings under the table.
Ebay may have the parts you need, I donno?
A freind who is mechanically inclined would be a big help, a retired machinist would be great!
I'd stay with it for a while longer, if it were me. That's up to you however.

Reactions: lokilo
#6 ·
I am not a woodworker, not even a weekend warrior woodworker, but by design (old house; budget) and curiosity (I love to work on things myself), I have felt increasingly comfortable tackling small projects.
sounds like someone is in denial. there are self help forums just for that >:)

i'd stop working on that saw asap.
parts are not available. chances of finding another cheap identical 113 table saw are pretty good. probably better than chances of finding a $20 saw than finding a $20 part. combine the best of 2 saws into a good working saw is your best choice. that saw is still very popular both here in use and on craigslist. some people think they have a gold mine and some just want it out of the way

#8 · (Edited)
Ha! You two both beat me to it. I was coming on the forum to share the same realization. Yes, the woodworker friend came by earlier and told me the same thing: STOP working on the saw and don't buy any parts. While I did find all those parts online, it starts adding up: one fence guide here, an arbor there, elevation screw, tilt clamp, blade guard, on/off switch...

BONUS: same friend has another friend with a similar saw he's getting rid of, also for $20. Unlike the one above, this second saw works great and has all its parts, intact and in great working order. His is a slightly older model with the cast iron extension panels rather than the tin panels that "mine" has.

Bottom line: finally getting a usable table saw.

Next project: getting the basement set up as a better shop, and thinking of dust collection for the saw, when I get it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.