Woodworking Talk banner

Old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  woodnthings 
#1 ·
Hello out there, my first post on the site. I am a novice at carpentry and building things from wood, I am interested in going further now. A friend of mine just gave me an older Craftsman Radial Arm Saw, that was given to him. He really didn't need it as he has two already. I am looking for advice to help me decide if it's worth refurbishing. It is a gold color and has a key on top of the saw support bar to turn the motor on, of course the key didn't come with the saw. I am hoping this info gives a period of manufacture to somebody who has had one of these. There is quite a bit of surface rust to clean up on it and he suggest rewiring it, it also came with a jigsaw attachment if that helps. As heavy as it is, I am guessing it was a quality built product before our thro away society began. I like older things and would really like to bring it back to life if it's worth it. Also I have another question I will go ahead and ask, I was searching Craigslist here in Indianapolis for Table Saws, bunch of them out there, what do I stay away from and what do I give a serious look at. Thanks in advance for anyones time in helping me out. Mike.

#3 · (Edited)
On your tablesaw question. Stay away from all direct drive bench top saws period. Now a contractors saws are ok to take a look at. The contractors saw will usually have a 1 or 1 1/2 HP motor hanging off the back of the saw. They will have a cast iron top usually. Some of them will even come with the cast iron side extensions too. But some will also come with stamped steel side extenson. The one with the stamp steel will be a little cheaper then the cast iron ones. Now if you really luckout and find a cabinet saw those are the "cream of the crop". They also make what is called the "hybrid" saw. It will look like the cabinet saw but it is more of a fancy contractor's saw. They are ok to check out also. My self I have a very good contractors saw and would love to have a cabinet saw just cannot justify getting one on account my saw does everything I need it to do and its paid for. Here are some pictures on what I am trying to say. First one is a cabinet saw. The next one is the bench top style. and The last one is the contractors saw..........Gary

Attachments

#4 ·
If you're interested in refurbishing your radial arm saw, check out this site: http://vintagemachinery.org/ On the menu across the top of the page, hover over "Photo Index" and you can search by mfr (Sears/Craftsman), or machine type. There are lots of pictures of old tools, and hopefully you can match yours to one of the pictures.

With the model number you can search for parts at places such as Sears Parts Direct or ereplacmentparts.com Before going too far, though, do some reading and research about whether a RAS will meet your needs. Personally, given the choice, I'd go for a table saw for better safety and precision. It's hard to resist a free tool- just be careful when you use it.

+1 on Kansas Gary's comments. I'd also steer clear of old Sears "flex drive" saws- a speedometer-like cable connected the motor and the blade, and they were pretty cheaply made. Nobody makes such a drive anymore- 'nuf said.

Older saws, esp. contractor types, tend to have lousy dust collection. Also, most don't have riving knives (a safer alternative to splitters). Some better older saws can be retrofitted, though.

Just my .02 Good luck!

#5 ·
I don't think the craftsman radial arm saw deserves refurbishing. I think it would be helpful to set it up and get it functioning correctly. Just keep in mind the saw is under powered so go easy if you cut a piece of hardwood. They tend to slow down rapidly and just grab the wood.

Table saws can get pretty pricy. The type and size of the saw you should get could vary a great deal depending on the work you need it for. If you are just doing small projects a contractor saw should do fine. If you cut a lot of sheets of plywood a cabinet saw would probably be better. Just be sure you watch out for the saws running on three phase. Unless you get a table saw really cheap it wouldn't be worth it as you would have to get a phase converter to run it.

#6 ·
I believe this is your saw

This is a 1960's Craftsman RAS and I have one like it. I inherited it a long time ago, and I don't use it. I have other newer Craftsman 12" RAS saws which I do use.

The issue with that particular saws is that the guide rails are machine into the arm, and are not replaceable IF they are worn. They usually don't get that much use, so they may not be worn. The newer RASs have replaceable steel rods which the carriage travels on, a better solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.