Old craftsman jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 07-11-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

View Splinterworkz's Photo Album My Photos
Old craftsman jointer

Bought a 6 inch craftsman jointer recently with a burned out motor. Paid 50 bucks. Now I'm finding out that a new motor is impossible to come by (discontinued). My question is does anyone k now of a substitute from like Grainger or grizzly that would work? I don't know the frame size and it's not listed on the motor. The jointer I have is craftsman 6 1/8 jointer. 113.232210. motor part number is 820064. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I used to have one of those. If I remember right, any 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor that spins 3450 rpms should work. Four bolts hold it on, nothing fancy in the mounting.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:
post #3 of 25 Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I've been looking at all kinds of motors. The one I currently have that came with jointer looks different than most motors I've been looking at or even seen for that matter. Maybe I'll take a shot in the dark and go with a grizzly 3/4 and see if I get lucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterworkz View Post
I've been looking at all kinds of motors. The one I currently have that came with jointer looks different than most motors I've been looking at or even seen for that matter. Maybe I'll take a shot in the dark and go with a grizzly 3/4 and see if I get lucky

I have a jointer very similar to that one. 1/2 hp is quite enough for it which is available a lot of different places.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-11-2016, 11:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Ebay has tons of motors

I would go for a 1 HP motor which is what I had I my exact same jointer. It takes some power to face joint a 6" wide board, so more is better. I used mine for about 40 years, then gave it to a friend since I had a newer one.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
So long as its not one of the ones thats built into the casting in some way, id wager you could put on just about any motor that spins the right speed that you want, you just may have to get a little creative with the mounting. Odds are though, any motor you get is just going to be a matter of bolting it down and possibly replacing the belt.

The only real hard part is going to be recovering from the sticker shock, new motors are expensive. If youre anywhere close to springfield mo ive got a few spares in various hp ratings im not too attached to

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Motor connects to a bracket which connects to casting. When installed the whole motor is recessed basically into the out feed table from underneath. That's what is making it difficult. And yes new motors are expensive!! Found a guy to rebuild burnt up one for 250. I may eventually buy a new jointer if it comes down to spending 300 on a motor. I'll just save and buy what I want. Still don't want to give up on this old craftsman though. It's a cool jointer. Very sturdy

post #8 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Also I live in Phoenix Arizona so that's a fair distance...thanks though

post #9 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 02:25 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterworkz View Post
Motor connects to a bracket which connects to casting. When installed the whole motor is recessed basically into the out feed table from underneath. That's what is making it difficult. And yes new motors are expensive!! Found a guy to rebuild burnt up one for 250. I may eventually buy a new jointer if it comes down to spending 300 on a motor. I'll just save and buy what I want. Still don't want to give up on this old craftsman though. It's a cool jointer. Very sturdy

I think i get what youre describing, maybe. Kinda hard to be sure without actually seeing it, but id wager that fitting a new motor to the bracket wouldnt be too challenging. So long as the new motor can fit in the same general space you should be fine. Worst comes to worst though, you could just build a new shelf below the jointer for the motor to sit on and use a longer belt

I need cheaper hobby
post #10 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
if this jointer is on a stand, consider mounting the motor below the unit and mount the motor so the pulleys line up (as they were made later, and most are made now). this way, most any 1/2 - 3/4 motor will work for you. they are $50 used.
post #11 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 AM
where's my table saw?

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I think i get what youre describing, maybe. Kinda hard to be sure without actually seeing it, but id wager that fitting a new motor to the bracket wouldnt be too challenging. So long as the new motor can fit in the same general space you should be fine. Worst comes to worst though, you could just build a new shelf below the jointer for the motor to sit on and use a longer belt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
if this jointer is on a stand, consider mounting the motor below the unit and mount the motor so the pulleys line up (as they were made later, and most are made now). this way, most any 1/2 - 3/4 motor will work for you. they are $50 used.

Having the same jointer, I made a wood cabinet stand for mine which included storage and dust collection:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...inter-cabinet/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-12-2016 at 10:01 AM.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 11:28 AM

View tvman44's Photo Album My Photos
If it is a belt drive from the motor, any electric motor shop will have a replacement motor. Just match the rpm and hp.

Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
with a EX-21
post #13 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I may just go with a 1hp grizzly motor and build a cabinet for base. I'll be able to add dust collection as well.

post #14 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Did someone say dust collection?

Go snag a HF 2HP "bagger",and don't put it together.Adapt a 1/2 or 5/8 shaft coming right out of the intake opening.It will need a pillow block bearing near it's end.Leave an inch or so hanging past bearing.Put a dbl belt pulley on to mate up with dbl pulley on jointer.

Now wrap it all in a strong base cabinet.I wouldn't bag the chips.Either blow them outside or run them into a bin of some sort.Relocate switch.Jointer and DC comes on together.

Good luck with your project.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Ooo I like your style! More complicated but kind of 2 for 1

post #16 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 02:47 PM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Has anyone here replaced a motor on a jointer? I think it could be more work (and expensive) than it may sound.

Advice to OP: please don't buy a tool with a burnt out motor in future. You never know what else could be wrong with the tool.

Keep thy axe sharp.
post #17 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I avoid tools such as this usually. My buddy's dad was selling his stuff due to hardships and what not. I offered 50 bucks to 1 get it out of his hair and 2. To help him out a bit. Now that I have it though I want to get it up and running. I like the challenge

post #18 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig_saw View Post
Has anyone here replaced a motor on a jointer? I think it could be more work (and expensive) than it may sound.

Advice to OP: please don't buy a tool with a burnt out motor in future. You never know what else could be wrong with the tool.
Jointer? No. Bandsaw, table saw, drill press, belt grinder, yup. Adapting motors to fit tools isn't really that difficult. Takes some creativity some times, but nothing insurmountable
Splinterworkz likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
post #19 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 PM
where's my table saw?

motors are like hammers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig_saw View Post

Bullfeathers.
A broken hammer handle is easily repaired, replacing a motor on a pulley drive system is just about the same. Motors have standardized bolt holes on the bases. FEMA type 56 being the most common. They have adjustment slots to increase tension on the drive belt. They have wiring diagrams on the inside covers... some can be wired to run on 220 Volts. Some can be reversed by switching one or two wires. When you have the motor located either vertically or horizontally, wrap a string or cloth tape measure around the pulleys and take that to a hardware store or v belt supplier and they will match you up with a V belt. Automotive type V belts have a different shape, so be sure to get one that is rated "fractional HP".

Motors are most reliable these days and some I own are 50 years old and running strong ... Craftsman made by Emerson electric back then. Baldor motors are Industrial Rated and last forever. Grizzly motors are very heavy duty also. Grainger sells motors, Dayton brand. Leeson is a good brand and came on my 5 HP air compressor. Marathon is another good brand. I bought a 13" Foley Belsaw thickness planer 35 years ago, no motor, and never used., stole it for $300.00. I put a Baldor 3 HP motor on it and it runs like gangbusters.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...inter-cabinet/
I also completely set up the motor in the jointer cabinet thread I posted above, and it was not the original motor, instead a Harbor Freight 1 HP farm type motor.... about $70.00 on sale.

I can't believe that someone who has never replaced a motor would offer such an "uninformed" opinion. If you don't have first had experience in the subject, it's probably better not to say something that makes you look silly. JMO

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-12-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: several typos
post #20 of 25 Old 07-12-2016, 05:56 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Bullfeathers.
snip

I can't believe that someone who has never replaced a motor would off such an "uninformed" opinon. If you don't have first had experience in the subject, it's probably better not to say something that makes you look silly. JMO
Seems to be a bit of this going around lately. :smile3:

Never hurts to pick up any cheap motor whether you need it or not, sooner or later you will be glad you did, particularly 3/4 HP and up.
woodnthings likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode