New Tablesaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

View bigjoedo's Photo Album My Photos
New Tablesaw

Hello all,

Happy New Year !!

Just put my new Ridgid TS 3650 to the test. You folks are correct, a good table saw makes all the difference. I had been using a Delta bench top saw.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how often to change a table saw blade. Woodworking is a hobby for me, I use a lot of Oak. Do you make the blade change based on board feet you have cut? How can you tell when the blade needs changed? The saw currently has a Ridgid 40 Tooth carbide tipped blade. Thanks again for all the help.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Edge life of the blade depends on a lot of things....usage, thickness, density, moisture content, technique, cleaning habits, saw alignment, etc., so there's not really a useful rule of thumb. I tend to get 1 to 2 years from my blades as a hobbyist, but I rotate a lot of them in and out, clean them often, plus I don't cut much during winter. A dirty blade will dull faster than a clean one due to added heat. It's more likely to need a cleaning than resharpening...clean them often with any degreaser or citrus cleaner and stiff nylon or brass brush. Any time the blade's burning or lugging is an indication of needing a cleaning or possibly resharpening.

If you're using the stock blade, I'd suggest saving that for junk wood and non-critical cuts. That saw is better than the stock blade and will benefit from a better one.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
I also rotate between several blades. I don't really have a timetable I use. When the material starts to become difficult to push through I change to a new blade.
I guess I should start cleaning my blades to make them last longer.

Did you say tool sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
knotscot is right on the money. Use the stock blade for cutting scrap only. Invest around $100 on a good all-purpose blade and you will get a much better cut and even increased power. I have the exact same saw and I bought a Ridge Carbide blade (see link below). It is the best blade I have ever used.

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/prod...c0ee61f8db0028

Also, when your blades do get dull you don't need to replace them. If it is a good blade that you paid a lot for I'd get it re-sharpened.

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 PM
frostwood

View frostr2001's Photo Album My Photos
How much more usage would you expect to get from a top- of- the line ..carbide tipped vs a cheaper blade?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostr2001 View Post
How much more usage would you expect to get from a top- of- the line ..carbide tipped vs a cheaper blade?

It's not how much longer it last but how much better of a cut that you get. I had what I thought was a decent cutting blade for a cheap blade. I then invested $100.00 for a Freud Premier/Fusion General Purpose blade it's like 100 times better and faster cut. It leaves a perfect no sanding needed cut ripping or cross cutting in both plywood or solid, oak, birch, maple, purple heart ect. I plan on getting a good 24 tooth ripping blade also just in-case I need to rip something thicker than 1 1/2". I also have a Freud 80 tooth cross cutting blade for my RAS that cost around $50.00 but it is worth the money. This is in my opinion good advise that I got on here some months ago, It's worth the extra money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode