New table saw.. Rigid R4512 setup/clean up - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhaugle
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By notskot

post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

View Rhaugle's Photo Album My Photos
New table saw.. Rigid R4512 setup/clean up

So I got my new saw all set up finally. I'm wondering what to use one the cast iron top to clean off all the packing oil? I think I've seen/heard people using mineral spirits to clean, and then some sort of wax to help lube/protect the cast iron. Is this right?

Also, I live in Houston, we're it is ridiculously humid all the time. What do I need to do to keep the saw clean and happy? I've seen numerous used saw around here that are all rusted up.

Thanks.
Wil_Bloodworth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would use paint thinner to cut the cosmoline. Then a frequent coat of paste wax should protect it from humidity.
subroc likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

So I've spent about 20 minutes with paint thinner and all these marks are still here.. what do I do? They are not sticky at all.. looks like the cast iron is stained?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170612_153001_1497299455904.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	299554  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 AM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Scrub the top with a scotch brite pad wetted with paint thinner. Should clean up pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2017, 02:36 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
You could also try WD-40 or kerosene, but some scrubbing might be necessary either way. Definitely with at least a coat of paste wax, or two. I'd also be sure to get it perfectly aligned, and get a decent blade...save the stock blade for junk cuts.
d_slat likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 PM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by notskot View Post
You could also try WD-40 or kerosene, but some scrubbing might be necessary either way. Definitely with at least a coat of paste wax, or two. I'd also be sure to get it perfectly aligned, and get a decent blade...save the stock blade for junk cuts.
Agreed. I bought a r4512 a number of years ago. The stock blade was JUNK!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 07:05 AM

View wickedsolo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaugle View Post
So I got my new saw all set up finally. I'm wondering what to use one the cast iron top to clean off all the packing oil? I think I've seen/heard people using mineral spirits to clean, and then some sort of wax to help lube/protect the cast iron. Is this right?

Also, I live in Houston, we're it is ridiculously humid all the time. What do I need to do to keep the saw clean and happy? I've seen numerous used saw around here that are all rusted up.

Thanks.

Blaster and WD40 make a solid product for removing surface rust. There are a ton of videos out there showing how to do it, but basically your spray this on the surface and let it soak for a while...20-30 min and then use some sort of an abrasive like a scotch bright pad or high grit sand paper to remove the rust. I just did this process on an old cast iron jointer - it works, but I wouldn't recommend going overboard with it.

Once you're at a spot where you're satisfied, I'd use finishers paste wax. Just put a thin layer on and buff it out. It should create a very smooth surface for you. The wax will also protect the cast iron from moisture.

If you're really that concerned with moisture in your shop, you could always get a dehumidifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

So I had surgery the other day, and to help me not go crazy and pass the time, I would randomly walk into the garage and just look at the table saw. Yesterday I put a coat of wax on the top, and then my pain pills kickd in... so it sat there for hours without being buffed out. Now its all dry and has all the swirls and what not from putting it on... what do I do now? Can i just put another coat ontop and not worry about it? Should I remove the coat with some mineral spirits? Heat it up and wipe it off?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode