new to the shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
new to the shop

I found a steal of a deal on this barely used Grizzly G0704 mill/drill.
I've always wanted a vertical mill and when this came up I had to have it. For about $300.00, I can add digital readouts DROs as they are called on You Tube. This will add another range of possiblities to my metal working and even some woodworking. :smile3:

Catpower likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 12:52 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Lucky you mate! Certainly hope it works out for you!

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
That's a helluva a deal for "about $300"!!!!

You absolutely deserve a YOU SUCK for that one.

As you probably already know, the mill, will be the cheapest part of this journey, tooling, fixtures, and other accessories are where you spend all the $$'s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post

As you probably already know, the mill, will be the cheapest part of this journey, tooling, fixtures, and other accessories are where you spend all the $$'s.
I am not sure he said $300 for the mill. I believe to upgrade to a digital read out is "about $300".

Anyway, woodnthings it looks like a nice sized machine for a home shop. Look forward to your machining exploits. Enjoy it.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 10:20 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Great deal!

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

The DEAL was .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I found a steal of a deal on this barely used Grizzly G0704 mill/drill.
I've always wanted a vertical mill and when this came up I had to have it. For about $300.00, I can add digital readouts DROs as they are called on You Tube. This will add another range of possiblities to my metal working and even some woodworking. :smile3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
I am not sure he said $300 for the mill. I believe to upgrade to a digital read out is "about $300".

Anyway, woodnthings it looks like a nice sized machine for a home shop. Look forward to your machining exploits. Enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Great deal!
The deal was $550 and a 12 pack of Bud Light! The DROs are an additional $300.00 for X,Y and Z axis.... a bit further down the road, but since I don't do Vernier all that well it will happen.
It was a heavy little bugger, probably 325 lbs or so on the head and 25 lbs for the stand. My 6' 3" son carried the "heavy" end , while I think I had around 80 lbs on the short end.

Next on the "wish list" is a TIG welder.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

You're not moving away from wood and into metal are you?
Are you two-timing us and active on some metal work forum also?

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post

Reading comprehension fail, you are correct!

Quote:
The deal was $550 and a 12 pack of Bud Light! The DROs are an additional $300.00 for X,Y and Z axis.... a bit further down the road, but since I don't do Vernier all that well it will happen.
It was a heavy little bugger, probably 325 lbs or so on the head and 25 lbs for the stand. My 6' 3" son carried the "heavy" end , while I think I had around 80 lbs on the short end.

I picked up a multi-machine, my beastly son and I carried it, removed the head, tailstock, and mill vise, it was still a heavy bugger. I visit the Grizzly store in Springfield, MO on a regular basis, I'm looking at a Grizzly mill as the multi-machine has some limitations. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the 704, it's interesting to see the difference in person between the smaller mills from a size perspective.

I've been looking at TIG machines also, I really want to learn to TIG, and of course weld aluminum. I recently did a little project on a pistol, almost pulled the trigger on a Miller Diversion. Instead found a local guy to do the work for me, $40 and he did a great job. We talked about TIG machines, he told me there is a huge difference between the $1800 Miller I was looking at, and the $8000 Miller he uses. For now I'm going to have him do the stuff I need done, but I still want a TIG...
post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Nope, I'v always been .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
You're not moving away from wood and into metal are you?
Are you two-timing us and active on some metal work forum also?
I've always been a "two timer" .... Now, I'm an "old timer and a two timer... LOL. I don't see the 2 skill sets as mutually exclusive. I've welded up some pretty stout mobile base for table saws, a radial arm router from a RAS, and a 2 axis panel saw, half metal and half wood. And for those who have followed my "Restoration Project" on the 1980 Chevy 4 X 4, lots of drilling and bending metal on that one!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f15/r...roject-109305/

post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 02:50 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
$300 for a DRO? I have Accurites on my Axleson engine lathe, and Bridgeport, I think they were about $1500 each, it was a few years ago,but I am positive they were over $1000 each

But either way you got a good deal

As far as a TIG welder, keep an eye out for machine shop auctions or surplus auctions, you can sometimes make a hell of a buy on them too, just make sure you have the right electrical set up, most are 3 phase.

I scored a Miller 400 Scynrowave, with a water cooled torch, foot control, basically the whole works for $750, that machine new was about $8000
post #11 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

You Da Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
$300 for a DRO? I have Accurites on my Axleson engine lathe, and Bridgeport, I think they were about $1500 each, it was a few years ago,but I am positive they were over $1000 each

But either way you got a good deal

As far as a TIG welder, keep an eye out for machine shop auctions or surplus auctions, you can sometimes make a hell of a buy on them too, just make sure you have the right electrical set up, most are 3 phase.

I scored a Miller 400 Scynrowave, with a water cooled torch, foot control, basically the whole works for $750, that machine new was about $8000
Didn't I read you also scored a $10,000 Powermatic bandsaw for dirt cheap?
Catpower likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My 6' 3" son carried the "heavy" end , while I think I had around 80 lbs on the short end.
Kind of reminds me of the opening scene of Sanford and Son. Fred is carrying the lamp and Lamont is carrying the heavy load.
Sound like a good deal any way you slice it.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 11:10 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Didn't I read you also scored a $10,000 Powermatic bandsaw for dirt cheap?

But I won't ever tell about the bad deals I got at auctions

But one time I went to one and hadn't even gotten a bidding number yet and the auctioneer was wailing about not being able to get a bid of $50 for a 10 inch table saw, so I yelled 50 bucks, he said sold, then I got my number and went to check out my great bargain, it was a Wallace table saw with all the gears and gear box missing

Originally it was a gear drive but I rebuilt it to be a belt drive and used it many years until I got my new Unisaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode