New planer maybe? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

View cjfrazee's Photo Album My Photos
New planer maybe?

I am thinking of adding a larger planer to my shop. Been comparing grizzly and powermatic in 20" size. Both with helical or spiral head. Other than price is there a substantial difference between the 2 machines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The way I would look at it is the Grizzly is hobby shop stuff and the powermatic is professional equipment. I've never used a planer with a spiral head so I won't comment there.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 AM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
i used to subscribe to steves theory on the grizz being for hobbyists. till i bought one.

i got mine from a friend of a friend who went out of business.
a grizz 20inch heli head. its smoothe and i like it alot. i have no experience with the PM

build it right or not at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't buy a new PM (or anything from that green bear), the new PM stuff is built cheaply, hold it, most new WW machinery is anymore.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

View cjfrazee's Photo Album My Photos
If not pm or grizz... Is there one worth th coin you have to lay out to get it home?
post #6 of 14 Old 05-19-2012, 01:00 AM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
I wouldn't buy a new PM (or anything from that green bear), the new PM stuff is built cheaply, hold it, most new WW machinery is anymore.
so i imagine you wont be buying any new woodworking equipment ever again ??

build it right or not at all
The Following User Says Thank You to bob sacamano For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (05-19-2012)
post #7 of 14 Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Tool Fanactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sacamano View Post
so i imagine you wont be buying any new woodworking equipment ever again ??
If I could afford them, I would buy something new from Northfield or Martin.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 AM

View Huxleywood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
If I could afford them, I would buy something new from Northfield or Martin.
I wouldn't throw Altendorf out with the trash either...or Format 4 for that matter.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 07:13 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
I would buy the Grizzly over the Powermatic---My personal experience with the Grizzly Tool company has been great--

Good value for money spent--and the customer service is great--they have all the parts on hand--knowledgeable technicians and a fast,fair machine shop.

I know this sounds like an ad--but those people have always treated me like an important customer---Mike---
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (05-20-2012)
post #10 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM

View Rlbtn4171's Photo Album My Photos
I am by no means an expert here, but I will give my honest opinion.
I just recently bought a Grizzly Jointer go550x (helical head) or spiral as they call it. Very nice machine.. no major complaints.
I then ordered a PowerMatic 15hh planer. (Helical Head)... Great machine.
All I can say is that in my opinion the fit and finish on the powermatic is better. I have no major complaint with the grizz as is does what it is supposed to do and I feel it will last many years.
The Powermatic just seems to be a grade above. Heavier castings and better qual on the paint job. Mirror finish on the tables. I am very pleased with it.
Oh, buy the way I looked at the Jet version of the same planer after I got the powermatic... I would buy the grizz before the Jet.
Just my opinion... hope not to offend anyone.
Randy
post #11 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 PM

View vinnypatternmaker's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswoods View Post
I would buy the Grizzly over the Powermatic---My personal experience with the Grizzly Tool company has been great--

Good value for money spent--and the customer service is great--they have all the parts on hand--knowledgeable technicians and a fast,fair machine shop.

I know this sounds like an ad--but those people have always treated me like an important customer---Mike---
Hi Mike and All,
Since most all arn out there is now imported (sad), Grizzly is usually the way to go. They've come a long way since they were hawking drill presses two decades ago! CS, Fit n Finish, quality (even manuals) improved...must be doing something right!
I know, sounds like an ad for Grizzly, but I still consider Craftsman, when the time, price and place is right ! Also, Millwaukee, Bosch, but not for arn !
Best,
Marena and Vinny
post #12 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 AM
more bacon?

View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
I have the grizzly 0454 20". I can honestly say I am very pleased with quality of manufacturing as well as how it planes boards. Thickness adjustments are easy and I have never had it change itself even when I have forgotten to tighten the lock. Blade changes are easy with the provided jig. And even though it is supposed to way nearly a half a ton it is one of the easiest pieces of equipment In my shop to move. I wood buy it again but would get the spiral cutter-head if I afford that upgrade.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 AM

View Huxleywood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlbtn4171 View Post
I am by no means an expert here, but I will give my honest opinion.
I just recently bought a Grizzly Jointer go550x (helical head) or spiral as they call it. Very nice machine.. no major complaints.
I then ordered a PowerMatic 15hh planer. (Helical Head)... Great machine.
All I can say is that in my opinion the fit and finish on the powermatic is better. I have no major complaint with the grizz as is does what it is supposed to do and I feel it will last many years.
The Powermatic just seems to be a grade above. Heavier castings and better qual on the paint job. Mirror finish on the tables. I am very pleased with it.
Oh, buy the way I looked at the Jet version of the same planer after I got the powermatic... I would buy the grizz before the Jet.
Just my opinion... hope not to offend anyone.
Randy
I think you meant the Grizzly is a planer... at least the G0550 is a planer, it is an older motor on top 15" 4 post planer to be exact.

There is considerable fit and finish differences between the current G0453 planers and the PM15 planers, The Grizzly is from China and the PM is from Taiwan. The Grizzly castings are much rougher but it is impossible to know (whithout some severe disassembly and testing) to determine of the insides are as different as the outsides. The PM does have a warranty that is 5 times longer, if that means anything to anyone and if you get one of the last few Onyx 90th anniversary PMs around they have an 2.5 years of warranty and are priced the same as the mustard versions. Occasionally you will see people opine that all the generic 4 post planers come from the same factory, difficult when they are built in different countrys. The value is with the Grizzly, certainly. The other big difference is the journal head, the Grizzly uses a generic Asian straight cut head where the 15HH uses a US made Byrd that has uses radiased carbide bits set to shear cut, FWW tests came to the conclusion they produce a better surface finish. The bits for the Byrd heads about $3 each vs $5.20 for the Grizzly bits, so each full cutter change will save over $150 with the PM but it will take a LONG time (longer than you will get with hobby use in a lifetime) to recoup the difference. The PM15HH would be my choice when it is on 15% off (happens 2-3 times a year) when it isn't on sale it becomes a much harder proposition but with the PM you are giving a sizeable portion of the total sale to a US manufacturer in Byrd.

Now the OP is talking about the 20" versions and I am assuming they are comparing the G0454Z to the 209. My same opinions of the differences apply BUT the price differential is $1500 shipped and the full retooling cost difference is about $220. Again onsale when the difference is closer to $800 I would get the PM, for $1500 I would say get the Grizzly.

In the end I wouldn't buy either, even at dealer pricing you can get a solid PM180 with a Byrd head installed for less than the cost of the non-sale PM. that 18" planer weighs about 50% more than those 20" planers. Though the old PM planers are well regarded they still aren't the top of the heep, but for $4k you can easily get a very nice Oliver 399, probably even with a grinder/jointer attachment. Once you get the hang of using a grinder and get over the fear of using the jointer it will become clear it is easy to get a better finish with straight knives on this level of planer than with a Byrd head and certainly the straight Asian carbide bit heads.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Tool Fanactic

I will stick with my 3600 pound 24" Yates American.

Hogging a 1/4" off at 60 fpm will not even make it wince.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode