New Planer...... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 10-11-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
New Planer......

I know this topic has been neat to death here lately but I am in the market for a new planer. I had my mind made up on the grizzly G0453. I have been searching craigslist and there isn't anything local. There are a few I have inquired on 3-4 hours away. The most promising is a 15" bridgewood about four hours away.

Looks to be in good shape other than some light rust. He is asking 500. Any thoughts? Am I better off dropping the coin on the new Grizzly? Leaning on the griz due to my experiences with them and the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
We love beating dead horses here. Sounds too good to be true. My guess is the planer was manufactured at the same plant as the Griz. Just a different name plate. I'd proceed with caution and be ready to put some time into tuning it up and maybe dealing with a chronic problem the owner is unwilling or unable to resolve.

Al

post #3 of 13 Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would go tonight so the bridgewood could be picked up first thing in the morning. That old bridgewood might need a little sanding and paint but I bet you could turn around and sell it for 4 grand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-12-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Also looking at a wood master 712. Its older and doesn't have dust collection. Do they make a DC hood for that? Not sure non the year but it looks to be 25 or so years old.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFactory
Thanks. Also looking at a wood master 712. Its older and doesn't have dust collection. Do they make a DC hood for that? Not sure non the year but it looks to be 25 or so years old.
Quite easy to make a hood for it. That way you can size it correctly.

Al

post #6 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I am worried that I am going to regret getting a 12 over a 15. Any thoughts on that? I'm not sure how much I would use the molding feature but it would be nice to have.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFactory
I am worried that I am going to regret getting a 12 over a 15. Any thoughts on that? I'm not sure how much I would use the molding feature but it would be nice to have.
99% of your use is going to be planing rough sawn wood. To think that your going to glue up some wood and plane it down and sand to finish is probably not going to occur as much as you think. For this operation your probably going to need something bigger than 15" because it's still not wide enough for most tables and cabinets.

I have a Delta 13". They added the inch for surfacing 12" boards. I don't really find a need for more than the 13". But.....

Al

post #8 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a 13 inch, which has been plenty wide for everything except table top glue ups, and since a 24 in planer isn't in the works 13 or 15 wouldn't matter to me.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #9 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Wood Snob

I hear an echo.

Al

post #10 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Look at that Al, we agree.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #11 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 PM

View Fastback's Photo Album My Photos
I had an old 12-inch Belsaw that I used for a number of years and was very happy with it. I only replaced it due to wear and age and the inability to buy parts. I also have a Delta 12 1/2 bench top that I like, but I tend to do a lot of rough lumber and was beating it to death. I now have a 15-inch Jet. I like it and the additional capacity is good, but not really necessary. IMO, a good 12 or 13-inch will do the job well.

Paul
post #12 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. Reason I asked is my father has an old belsaw 12" and many times doing door panels or end panels for cabinets I have been just shy of enough capacity to avoid gluing and sanding after planing. I guess I need to toss a coin...... Still leaning on griz for the additional capacity and being a new machine. Just hard to pass up a good deal.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
That bridgewood on CL is in my backyard lol. Not literally, but you know what I mean. It's not what Steve thinks it is - it's a Taiwanese import made in the same factory that made the Grizzly, Jet, Reliant, etc brands of that same design in the mid to late 90's. I looked at it halfheartedly, then arrived at the same conclusion as Al & Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using woodworkingtalk.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode