New and looking for drill press recommendations - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By baserock love
  • 1 Post By baserock love
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 14 Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

View baserock love's Photo Album My Photos
New and looking for drill press recommendations

I'm just getting started and looking to spend about 150ish on a benchtop drill press. It will be mainly for wood so i'm not too hung up on power but I definitely want something as precise as i can get for that price with a platform i can adjust to get square to the chuck as several others i've looked at don't seem to have any way to do this. The few drills that get decent reviews have "Wobbly platform" pop up here and there on generally positive reviews. I want to make nice looking furniture, this isn't for normal diy or construction things.

Any recommendations? Was thinking one of these two as both generally have very positive reviews.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-10...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABL...ess/1000183105

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-09-2020, 08:12 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Be aware most bench type drills have short spindle travel - meaning you can only drill a hole so deep - the two you listed are about 2 to 2-1/4". But at$150 that's about all you will find.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Be aware most bench type drills have short spindle travel - meaning you can only drill a hole so deep - the two you listed are about 2 to 2-1/4". But at$150 that's about all you will find.
That's fine, i don't see myself needing any more than that for some time. I mostly plan to just use it for some dowel joinery and drum sanding and drilling holes through probably at most 3/4 in thick hard woods.
Alchymist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-09-2020, 03:10 PM

View umbert's Photo Album My Photos
One of the "good ones" with great reviews all over the net is the WEN 4214
I would highly recommend it, as I own one myself.
A model down would be the WEN 4212 - https://wenproducts.com/collections/...ill-press-4212
Which may be in you budget.
If you lived in Chicagoland, you could get it for CHEAP ! as their main warehouse is in Elgin, IL. That's where I went and picked up mine.

Last edited by umbert; 07-09-2020 at 03:21 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-09-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbert View Post
One of the "good ones" with great reviews all over the net is the WEN 4214
I would highly recommend it, as I own one myself.
A model down would be the WEN 4212 - https://wenproducts.com/collections/...ill-press-4212
Which may be in you budget.
If you lived in Chicagoland, you could get it for CHEAP ! as their main warehouse is in Elgin, IL. That's where I went and picked up mine.
Hey thanks, yeah i saw really good reviews of some of the wen's on amazon. The main thing that scared me was one guys review where he got the thing and said that he couldn't get the platform square with the chuck. Said he called customer support and they told him that a drill press under 500 dollars isn't supposed to be square. It seems like to me a drill press has once job lol, to drill square holes.

I actually am considering the Wen below the model you have. or who knows, i might just get something a little nicer if i get some lucratic jobs this month. I can't wait till i'm done buying all the basic tools and can just really go out and create stuff -_-
post #6 of 14 Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
I agree with this evaluation. There have been more times than I can count... where I needed more travel than 2-1/4".

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 07-10-2020 at 09:37 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-16-2020, 03:17 PM

View buyinginn's Photo Album My Photos
If you are choosing the batter and cheap drill so, i will highly recommend You should read all drill press reviews. I hope you will get best knowledge about your drill press.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 09-16-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: removed spam link
post #8 of 14 Old 09-16-2020, 05:56 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
for those of us who occasionally drill 1/2" diameter holes in steel (even not too thick), the ability to turn slowly is paramount to avoid burning the drill bit. I do not own such a drill press. I own a small Skill drill press (3320-01) that fits the available space, and it works for my Forstener (spelling?) drill bits.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!

Last edited by kiwi_outdoors; 09-16-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: add model no.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 PM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
Wait til you have enough money to buy a decent DP. A good Drill press should have at least 1/2 HP motor and a column that is 2-1/2" diameter at minimum. A threaded height stop is much better than the crap that is on the Wen. The Wen is the best of the several DP's mentioned, except for the depth stop.
I think you may be able to buy a used DP that fits your needs and better than the chinese crap. I have two DP's and a mill. The bench top is an old Craftsman with a 3/4 HP motor and threaded depth stop. It is more accurate than the Delta free standing model I have. This DP has the crap depth stop that I removed and added a shop made threaded one. I believe this model is 70+ years old and and cast iron base, table, and motor cover.
mike
post #10 of 14 Old 09-17-2020, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyinginn View Post
If you are choosing the batter and cheap drill so, i will highly recommend You should read all drill press reviews. I hope you will get best knowledge about your drill press.
That's one of the frustrating things. THer'es almost no good reviews for drill presses. Generally amazon/big box store reviews are from diyers that review it the day after they get it. Same with youtube reviews. Most online tool review sites that cover things like this are fake and just advertisements basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodhands View Post
Wait til you have enough money to buy a decent DP. A good Drill press should have at least 1/2 HP motor and a column that is 2-1/2" diameter at minimum. A threaded height stop is much better than the crap that is on the Wen. The Wen is the best of the several DP's mentioned, except for the depth stop.
I think you may be able to buy a used DP that fits your needs and better than the chinese crap. I have two DP's and a mill. The bench top is an old Craftsman with a 3/4 HP motor and threaded depth stop. It is more accurate than the Delta free standing model I have. This DP has the crap depth stop that I removed and added a shop made threaded one. I believe this model is 70+ years old and and cast iron base, table, and motor cover.
mike
You would think a used drill press would be a good option. I dont' know what the hell is going on on facebook and craigslist but everybody seems to have suddenly decided that rusted out beat up and heavily used tools are worth exactly the same as brand new ones and actual used tool deals are basically impossible to find. The same damn drill presses that frankly should be going for 50 to 100 bucks are still reposted week after week after week on facebook and craigslist for months now. A drill press seems to be something i need but i just struggle to think of anything i'd specifically need a 600 dollar drill press for. My main concern about a bench top one is not having enough space. The only floor models i find are ancient craftsman ones occasionally that are apparently so weak they struggle with basic drilling in hardwood, and old taiwanese ones that weren't really good when they were new. I think if it can get through hardwood and i can square the base a 12" drill press would probably work for 99% of what i need it for. Floor length drill presses are absurdly expensive though. I think for now as long as i can get the platform square to the chuck and put a cross slide vice on it a decent 12" will be ok till it's not I"m better equipped to upgrade.

I really don't see myself using this for anything other than drilling mortises and dowel holes and making a little drum sander out of it. I"m not sure what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
for those of us who occasionally drill 1/2" diameter holes in steel (even not too thick), the ability to turn slowly is paramount to avoid burning the drill bit. I do not own such a drill press. I own a small Skill drill press (3320-01) that fits the available space, and it works for my Forstener (spelling?) drill bits.
I don't foresee needing it much for metal personally beyond like fastener holes.
Tony B likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Wen for around $180 bucks. Not thrilled with it but it will have to do for now.
I really think of you can part with around $300 tax included, you will do much better with the new Harbor freight ones. They seem substantial, heavy and good fit in the store. HF has come a long way in the last 10 years in quality. Prices have climbed a bit also. Only down side I see is the 90 day warranty. Extended warranty is available.
I bought their top brand air compressor about 2 months and so far it is doing great.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #12 of 14 Old 09-17-2020, 09:39 AM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
My Skill drill press is on a bench top. It looks awkward but works fine for all drill bit types and has been used to drill in plywood, solid wood, aluminum and steel

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #13 of 14 Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 PM

Funny we should still be talking DP's after I wrote a reply early this morning. Things change suddenly in my life. Went to the shop to work on my saw horses. I had a mess of 1x4's glued together to make faux lap joints of 2x4's.
Anyway, I was using a 1" Forstner bit to use for counter-sinking washers and nuts. After about not even 5 minutes, the speed change handle showed no response. It maintained only the one speed I put it on. The digital speed gauge quit working - lights and numbers and the bit stalled out even on light cuts.
This is the first time I actually used the DP other than just testing it out when I bought it. I think I am still in the refund range. I will have to find my receipt.
I might give Harbor Freight a shot They look pretty good. I just have to add $100 to my refund money.
Anyway, I tried Wen based on the ratings. Years and years ago, their stuff was pure junk. I figured things change. Then again, some things never change.
kwoodhands likes this.

post #14 of 14 Old 09-18-2020, 11:16 PM

Well, I returned the Wen and drove to Harbor Freight. Bought their 16 speed bench mounted drill press. It was less than $100 more than the Wen when I factored the 10% discount for opening a HF credit card.
Harbor Freight has improved their quality the last several years and their prices went up accordingly.
I just betting that the new drill press will be good. It is quite a bit heavier than the Wen. The table seems a lot bigger with proly twice the HP or more. The only down side is that it does not have variable speed. In reality, I never change the speed that much anyway.
If it turns out to be a lemon, you will find out.

Right now I gotta pack for hurricane evac. This is gettin' old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode