New and looking for drill press recommendations - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By baserock love

post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

View baserock love's Photo Album My Photos
New and looking for drill press recommendations

I'm just getting started and looking to spend about 150ish on a benchtop drill press. It will be mainly for wood so i'm not too hung up on power but I definitely want something as precise as i can get for that price with a platform i can adjust to get square to the chuck as several others i've looked at don't seem to have any way to do this. The few drills that get decent reviews have "Wobbly platform" pop up here and there on generally positive reviews. I want to make nice looking furniture, this isn't for normal diy or construction things.

Any recommendations? Was thinking one of these two as both generally have very positive reviews.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-10...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABL...ess/1000183105

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2020, 08:12 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Be aware most bench type drills have short spindle travel - meaning you can only drill a hole so deep - the two you listed are about 2 to 2-1/4". But at$150 that's about all you will find.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Be aware most bench type drills have short spindle travel - meaning you can only drill a hole so deep - the two you listed are about 2 to 2-1/4". But at$150 that's about all you will find.
That's fine, i don't see myself needing any more than that for some time. I mostly plan to just use it for some dowel joinery and drum sanding and drilling holes through probably at most 3/4 in thick hard woods.
Alchymist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2020, 03:10 PM

View umbert's Photo Album My Photos
One of the "good ones" with great reviews all over the net is the WEN 4214
I would highly recommend it, as I own one myself.
A model down would be the WEN 4212 - https://wenproducts.com/collections/...ill-press-4212
Which may be in you budget.
If you lived in Chicagoland, you could get it for CHEAP ! as their main warehouse is in Elgin, IL. That's where I went and picked up mine.

Last edited by umbert; 07-09-2020 at 03:21 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbert View Post
One of the "good ones" with great reviews all over the net is the WEN 4214
I would highly recommend it, as I own one myself.
A model down would be the WEN 4212 - https://wenproducts.com/collections/...ill-press-4212
Which may be in you budget.
If you lived in Chicagoland, you could get it for CHEAP ! as their main warehouse is in Elgin, IL. That's where I went and picked up mine.
Hey thanks, yeah i saw really good reviews of some of the wen's on amazon. The main thing that scared me was one guys review where he got the thing and said that he couldn't get the platform square with the chuck. Said he called customer support and they told him that a drill press under 500 dollars isn't supposed to be square. It seems like to me a drill press has once job lol, to drill square holes.

I actually am considering the Wen below the model you have. or who knows, i might just get something a little nicer if i get some lucratic jobs this month. I can't wait till i'm done buying all the basic tools and can just really go out and create stuff -_-
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
I agree with this evaluation. There have been more times than I can count... where I needed more travel than 2-1/4".

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 07-10-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode